Only Scam Jobs
- 58 is the magic cut off. Unemployment ran out and I'm begging for anything. Lots of "scam" jobs available --- you know where they drop you off in a neighborhood at 9:00am & pick you up for a "sales" meeting at 8:00pm, selling "home stuff" like gutters, roofing etc. I'm screwed.
- —Guest 58 -will do anything
It Pays the Bills
- I start growing Medical Marijuana. Now I have money to pay the bills. I have sent out about 2,000 resumes and only gotten 4 interviews. I am still applying but at least I can live now. P.S. Because I live in So. California it is all legal according to the lawyers. It's nice to be able to pay the bills again.
- —Guest Tim Allen
- Just read through a bunch of these comments – so depressing, very little good advice. Self-employment is probably the only way to go. The laid off are society’s throwaways. My story is no different. I’m 58, and was laid off a year ago. My unemployment has run out. I’m shunned as a worthless loser by my family and ex-coworkers (the “network” is a delusion). They believe that people who can’t find a job are lazy & want to leech off of the taxpayer’s dime. I have applied for every type of job, including minimum wage gigs. I do a lot of volunteer work, and hoped that it might lead to employment; however, the organization I volunteer with just recently hired several people under 25! Young people need jobs too, so I don’t begrudge them – but come on! The only realistic solution is to be self-employed. I just need to figure out what service I can provide that people will pay for. I have tried to hire out as a consultant to employers in my field, but had no luck with that. I’ll try anything.
- —Guest wellian
The New American dream
- The American Dream has turned into the American Nightmare ......
- —Guest Guest
Treated Like a Criminal
- Looking for work faithfully 1.5 year, no luck, unemployment ran out. Have worked since I was 14 and I'm now 54, left due to emotional abuse and PTSD. Eight years upper management. Have put out probably 2k resumes. I get interviews although they think I will take the job and quit for a better one so I don't get hired. Lastly are you kidding clean and sober 9 years just trying to make an honest living. No medical trying to stay positive......questioning why I have bothered to continue to do the right thing. I am really struggling as to why. Food stamps don't pay your rent I have always been self sufficient and the system makes you feel like a criminal for asking for help can someone explain. I mean REALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! I have been willing to do anything for an income!
Have Faith in God
- I have been a mental health nurse for 15 yrs. I received my degree in my 40's, due to needing a profession post-divorce (to support 2 pre-teens). On 2/5/13, I was fired from my job because my manager felt I was making "unsafe" decisions at work. This was BS...it was actually due to personality issues, and his wanting to replace me with another RN. Anyhoo, I have spent the last 6 mos. crying all day, every day in the depths of despair. I believe that I am now unemployable, due to my ADVANCED age(57), past credit problems (from 2005), and amount of my salary (I am actually underpaid). CT is decreasing salaries for new RN's, is offering part time jobs so as not to have to offer benefits, and wants nurses w/ Master's Degrees so they will be in salaried positions (another decrease in pay). Since I only possess a 2-yr Assoc. Degree, this is another reason to make me unemployable. Some jobs even make it a pre-requisite to obtain a BSN within so many yrs of hire. I learned all this from online searches.
- —Guest mo*rn
BS All the Way
- So, I was laid off three years ago, and have not found a damn thing since. Target wont hire me? Seriously, I have a MS?
- —Guest enough!
Overseas Buyers Buying Out Orange County
- I had one credit card go behind and my credit score went into the do not touch zone. Now, I can't get any loan consolidation bullshit because of my credit rating. What a scam! Currently, overseas investors have been buying out Orange County, California residential. Therefore, Americans don't have any homes to live in around here, because we can't afford them, because there's no jobs!!!!!! The developers think we should find renting is a better financial alternative to owning a home, because it suits their marketing profit program better!!! If the Government allows this to continue, then we may see yet another crash when foreign investors are unable to rent to the poverty stricken American public. We were raped by Wall Street and there is not a single Wall Street Shark in jail!!!! I'm not asking for money, just a loan for God's Sake. F*cking piece of shit Government!!! I've paid so f*cking much in taxes and I get sh* in my face when I ask for a little bit of help.
- —Guest Burnt By Banks
Dont' Give Up
- I to am a victim of bad experiences of job loss and downsizing my whole life. Every state has programs for the needy. If you qualify you can get some help. Try contacting your church, change your career. It's rough no doubt but you must be strong and think positive. Family and friends hopefully will help.
- —Guest DEH
I Wish I Could Help
- Here it goes: Go to a place where you want to work and volunteer. At work, ask questions and be likeable. Do more than expected. Open the door and smile. I was cleaning at my laundromat and they caught me. At first they thought I broke something. I said "no, I was just cleaning and you were not supposed to catch me. I did this once a week. Then they gave me money for doing what I was doing already.
- —Guest tina
Behind on My Mortgage
- I have been unemployed for three weeks looking searching for jobs. I have been thinking about my mortgage which is behind. I can't take this. It's enough when you're working you have to live from paycheck to paycheck. There should be a program to help with expenses when you're unemployed and searching for a job. This country needs to put programs in place now.
- —Guest sherrie robersonsubasi
- I have run a video production company for 27 years. For whatever reason, my "niche" disappeared. My business used to gross $400,000 per year, now I barely gross $40,000 When life was good, I could afford my mortgage. Now, I am 9 months behind & am facing foreclosure. There have been many nights when I thought I was going to lose my mind & they would take me away. I have thought of suicide. I can't believe I haven't had a heart attack. Like everyone else, I have applied to hundreds of jobs & all they want me to do is sell insurance & credit card processing machines all on commission. I used to be honest & pay all my taxes. Now, any work I get, I try to take in cash and screw the government. After all, that's what the big corporations do. After all I've been through, I still wake up alive in the morning. Does this give me hope? You bet. Will the government help you? No way. We're all on our own just like the immigrants who came before us. Think of their lives and what they went through.
- —Guest Guy
Advice for the Hopeless
- I know it is tough. I know the feeling. I have unemployed for 14 months now. But never lose hope. What keeps me going is prayer. I ask for direction, wisdom, strength, hope, faith, and most of all love and forgivess for all my sins past and future. Self control will guide you to your destination. You must never loose hope. Good things always comes out after the trials. But you must have patience, and full trust in God. Release yourself of all the problems, worry, concern, instead concentrate on positive things in your life. The rest will just come at the right time and the right place. In God's own time.
- —Guest edward
I Can Relate!
- Well here's one good thing I can say. Now I know there are others struggling like me. I have education and experience but I'm over 40 so I'm not being looked at. Never thought I would be in this position. It seems like no one really cares if you're struggling! Everyone is so concerned with their own lives. I am going back to self employment as a hairstylist. No one will be able to turn me down for a job again! I have a degree in biology and began my masters but before that did hair for 17 yrs. I think that may be the key, folks...not depending on people to hire us but creating our own business. Im afraid to spend any more money on education because I still may not get the job after that! When you're self employed you make the rules and thats what I'm going back to! I encourage everyone to think of something they could start as a business! Even running errands for the elderly? Babysitting for working moms! I never thought id be in this position at 45. If you need help with meds, try Human Services.
- —Guest Michele
- The economy is suppose to be improving, but it isn't. I'm 30 and unemployed, and have not received a single interview. What is the point of living? To work in order to get by and then pass away?
- —Guest 30 and unemployed