There are questions that you shouldn't be asked during a job interview. Read funny interview questions shared by About.com site visitors and if you've been asked a bad interview question, add it to our list.
Share a Question
- I was asked if I was part African. I am not part African.
- —Guest Jordan
Smoke if Got 'Em
- I applied at a gas station and was asked if smoked. I've worked for gas stations before, as stated on my resume. I simply asked how it was relevant to the position and she refused to tell me. So I refused the answer. Never got the job though lol.
- —Guest Ben Dover
- I had two separate awful interview experiences I just had to share after reading this page. Once, when I was married, I was asked what are your family planning plans? Their were two men in the room interviewing me and as a lady I was mortified. I calmly replied No plans as such but whatever God has in store. He laughed out loud and said God is there but we also have a hand in the situation.. even the other gentleman was embarrassed and I said point blank I'm not planning and that's the end of that discussion. I walked away thinking this guys an ass. I got the job offer and I turned it out just because of that experience.
Another experience... I had recently separated from my husband and the interviewer asked why I had moved countries in my youth. I explained my parents had separated which is what led to my relocating with my mother at a young age. He made a snide expression and said your parents are divorced, you're separated.. what's the problem? haha.. The nerve of some people.
- —Guest Guest Abroad
- When I was in an interview for physical therapy school, at the end the interviewer asked me if I were to buy him a drink at the bar, what would it be and why. I thought it was a fun end to the interview but probably awkward for someone who doesn't drink.
- —Guest Lisa Renee
I'm Not an Animal
- Question: "If you were an animal, which and why?" This really confused me since I had no idea what to answer, but it's possible they'd throw this out there. I was applying at Port of Subs, so this question could potentially go anywhere.
- —Guest Dan
From the Assistant Manager
- During an interview, the Assistant Manager for the department said to me, "I don't know what your relationship status is, but there are a lot of single guys that work here."
- —Guest Female Guest
Knowledge of Sloths
- If you were a sloth, would you climb a tree or a house?
- —Guest callum
Background and Experience
- What experience do you have that is relevant to this position?
- —Guest claude
- When once offered a job, the employer offered the compliment, "You're the first female producer we've ever hired!" I felt quite proud... for about 3 seconds. That's when it hit me: it was 1995, so what did that say about the company?! I respectfully declined the offer, and joined a rising competitor within days. So glad I had that woman's intuition!
- If you were food, what type of food would you be?
- —Guest Jack
From an Applicant
- Can you give me cab fare so I can get to my next interview?
- —Guest Guy B.
Will You Go Out With Me?
- Would you like to go for drinks after we finish up the interview?
- —Guest Guest
What Do I Want to Be?
- I'm a middle aged man and I was asked by a twenty-something interviewer what I wanted to be when I grew up.
- —Guest Pierre M.
Funny Interview Question
- I don't think the interviewer meant it, but it didn't come out quite right when I was asked how weird I was - or wasn't.
- —Guest Jill
- How many kids do you have? How old are they? How long have you and your husband lived in this area?
- —Guest Edith Richardson