From the article: What Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up?
What do you want to be when you grow up? Read about the type of jobs available and add what you want to be when you grow up (even if you are grown up already) to the list contributed by About.com site visitors. Share a Job
Growing up Sucks
- I'm about to finish my junior year and with the next few months of my life being crucial in deciding where I want to go to school and what I want to study, I find myself searching for answers to questions that have been asked all my life. I wanted to be a doctor when I was younger but after taking biology, chemistry, and anatomy, I don't think that is the career for me anymore. I could always pursue a law degree but that takes a lot of time and I want to have a family while I'm young enough to enjoy everything. Looking through all these colleges and the majors they offer, the only thing i know for sure is I'm going to be in major debt and over a degree I can't even decide on... Adults never told us that "what do you want to be when you grow up" was going to mean we would actually have to grow up and become adults ourselves. If it was up to me, I'd watch Disney movies in my footie jammies all day because to be honest, growing up sucks.
- —Guest The Cheerleader
- I've always wanted to be a doctor since i was a kid but now I don't know if I'll be able to do that because I'm not that good in math and chemistry. I do want to work in medicine school but if I can't be a nurse I'd rather work in the laboratory but chemistry won't allow me to do that. I'm not sure what to do.
- —Guest ambitious makhoba
Freshmen in High School
- I don't really know what to do when I get out of high school and it is stressing me out! I wanted to be a doctor but people say I am afraid of blood but I have been working on it and proving people wrong, but biology has not got my full attention ... So my second option is professional dancing. I have been dancing for 5 years. I am good but not the best and people say that pro dancing is not a job! Helppp! I don't know what to do:(
- —Guest Arlett
- Im 18 and now a senior in high school and I wanted to be a pediatrician since I don't know, the beginning of my high school year. But people who surrounding me says I can't never be ones because I just not that intelligent. My brother and sister are smarter than me and even they don't want to reach that high like I do. I'm very hopeless and I'm starting to lose hope about becoming Pediatrician. I'm just afraid of failing!!!
- —Guest Jenny
I Can Hope...
- I have always wanted to be a teacher in a primary school or college but the only problem with that is that the income isn't great! Then the other day I went to a charity dinner for Palestine and heard a story of a young boy who had come to the border three times in search for medicine for his grandmother and was refused each time due to his religion. I thought that if I became a doctor I could give him that medicine and help all the people there since I'm quite passionate about helping people. Ii wasn't sure whether to be a doctor or a teacher and decided to be a professor so I could go into places like Palestine and teach people there about health and medicine so that they could rely upon themselves to help each other rather than a whole load of rich countries standing by and watching... that I can try and help. i just hope that i will be able to one day and it will work and even better, inspire others....
- —Guest Aaishah
Lost in Career Path
- I'm 38 and very lost in my career path. This is my story: I started my career as an entrepreneur in the Middle East. When I made a small fortune and got the possibility to move abroad, I did it. I moved to Finland. Here I got my master in business; And started a new company. My company failed and I got no job but a drafting in a small company. I started my PhD in management, hoping to have a better position, but I'm often very sad and confused for what I do. When I was an entrepreneur, I taught. I love business, and I love my customers and I love creating ideas. After I was drawn by job market, I doubt myself, I hate myself for what I don't know, and I'm very confused for whether I have to change my career or what?
- —Guest A4
- Vey recently I have wanted to become a homicide detective. I have always been told I am very observant and not at all squeamish. I can disconnect myself so I wouldn't become too attached to the victim or his/ her family. I am British but eventually I would like to move to America to do it.
- —Guest Emily
- I used the "Random Thingy Chooser" on the internet to pick for me. I entered a bunch of options and it chose President of the US. Great! Looks like I'll have a challenge to fulfill. I'm sure I'd be a lot better of a president than what we have now ^_^
- —Guest MrSaint
I Just Don't Know Anymore
- I have always wanted to be a math teacher or math professor since I was in first grade. I've always been top of my class with my GPA, but I just lost all motivation. I absolutely HATE school now and I'm only in the eighth grade! For the past few years I've fought to prove that going to school is the best thing for everyone. This year was the first time I ever thought otherwise. I Just want to start over at a new school where nobody knows me and become a wall flower. It's as easy as that but it's not for me. I came here to my school in second grade and all there is are the people that can't or won't understand people that are different. I became outgoing and all I do is walk with my head at the ground holding back the tears from the names and rumors about me just because I'm fat. I've started starving myself to see if that would make them realize that weight isn't personality. I just want people to see, not with their eyes but with their hearts.
- During my high school I wanted to go into Medicine but my parents want me to be a surveyor and I like technologies. I want to go into a field where I will get a job,become rich and also help the society at large when i finish. I am confused.
- —Guest Onuka Kelechi
- I had this huge dream of being an actress, but that dream since blew up in my face :( People tell me that I'm a good writer, so I think maybe I'll write then... I don't know. This is all so confusing
- —Guest Lauren
- I really don't know what I want to be. At first, I thought I wanted to be a doctor but I'm not really into biology or remembering stuff. Then I feel like I wanted to be an engineer or probably architect but I'm not sure if I can get along with it. I kinda love business line, but I'm just confused by my family and friends. I just don't know.
- —Guest Qistina
- I am seventeen years old. I have no idea what I want to be. I dropped out of high school because I had someone that passed that I was very close to and I just could not take it I went into a state when all I wanted to do was be alone in my room. Now it's been a few months later and I feel a lot better. I regret my choice in leaving school. I'm scared to grow up and become an adult. I turn 18 in about two months. But I want to change the world, discover something and share it with the world. I don't want to be 25 years old in a small town with three kids and married and regret the things I don't do. I want everyone to remember my name when I'm gone remember and cherish the things I have accomplished. That most likely sounds really crazy. I don't want to be a teacher or something like that. Like Steve Jobs he had a dream and it made it happen. He wanted to change the world and he did he created something and he was successful when he passed he was remembered.
- —Guest Change
Can't Pursue My Chosen Career
- My math scores are low and the career that I chose is being an accountant. I didn't meet the requirements and now I don't know what to do.
- —Guest Goldsmith
Pilot, Writer, Photographer....
- I am currently in high school, and lately we have been discussing future plans and pathways in class. The problem is I haven't decided yet. I've always have had a passion for racing, but that is complicated to get into that. I wanted to be a pilot but my eye sight won't let me. Lately I have taken interest in Photography and foreign cultures. I really really want to travel the world, I love seeing the beauty in landscapes and being able to capture it in its best way. I also read a lot! In 5th grade I had the reading level of an 8th grader, I love everything I read and would like to work for a publishing company and mayby become an agent. I want to be so much in life that it's overwhelming!
- —Guest maria
1-15 of 263Next