From the article: Reasons to Quit a Job
What bothers you most at the office? Share your top office pet peeves and read the list of office pet peeves shared by About.com readers. Share Your Pet Peeves
- I hate it when you have a task to do, pretty much breaking down the work for your boss and then they still want you to practically read it like ABC to them. It's annoying.
Helicopter Parents with Needy Families
- Peeve -->Women constantly using office time to continually phone or text-communicate play-by-play accounts of 'what's going on at home' throughout the day, while everyone else in the office gets zero done because they have to spend their time taking messages/calls for 'someone else'. The constant 'text received' noise some phones make is annoying as well.
- —Guest DJ
- Noise producing co-workers are my pet peeves. A co-worker of mine constantly whistles, humms, laughs, snorts, makes popping sounds with her mouth and you name it. She does not have an illness that prompts her to do so -- she just cannot be quiet. If she doesn't "mouth off" she taps her feet and the click click of her heels is driving me insane.
- —Guest Belinda
Dirty Cups in the Sink
- People who make themselves tea/coffee/snack at work then pile up their used dirty plates/cops in the sink...Why ?....Do they think the "washing up fairy" is going to do it for them? Try filling the kettle when you can't get near the taps for all the clutter.
- —Guest Debby
- I don't understand why women who are gathered in the lunchroom have to make so much noise, yelling instead of talking and shrieking hysterically with laughter. It disturbs those of us with a different lunch hour whose desks and offices are close to the lunchroom. It's great to have fun with your co-workers, but remember you're in a place of business, not at a bar.
- —Guest Eleanor
Licking your fingers!
- My co-worker picks my documents up from printer, and as she hands them to me, licks her fingers to flip through the pages. Then hands me the pages she just put her spitty finger on! Licking fingers to turn ANY pages that are not in your own personal diary is just gross!
- —Guest Barb
- I have a problem with the open office. The filing clerk is always moaning about her job, and she doesn't answer her calls immediately. This is annoying. No one sharing the office has the guts to tell her. Instead, the manager will say that she needs help with her work. I really hate open offices because your concentration gets disrupted.
- —Guest Phahli
Cube Pet Peeves
- I live in cube land and it is really gross when people blow their noses at their desks instead of going to the bathroom. Yuk!
- —Guest Michelle
Office Pet Peeves
- I am in an office while surrounded by cubes. A new guy moved into the cube just outside my office. He is one of nose sniffers, constantly clearing his throat, gagging up phlegm kind of people. I can wear my iPod ear plugs sometimes, but not all the time. I honestly don't know if I should say something to him or not!
- —Guest rcwally80303
- I get so sick of the people that constantly whine about how they want the promotions, the bonuses, the hours, yet doing the work to get them is more than they're willing to do.
- —Guest Dianne K.
- We had a receptionist at my last job who was always late. It was her job to open the office and field calls and she was never there on time. Really annoying!!
- —Guest John Radcliffe
- I don't work with this creepy anymore, but I worked in a office job attached to a large warehouse facility. One of warehouse workers (ancient and toothless) used to come in each morning to say hello. The creepy part was that he let me know he was there by running his hand down my back. I ended up complaining, but it was disconcerting while it was happening.
- —Guest Alina
The Dirty Microwave
- The dirty microwave is my pet peeve. How hard would it be to wipe it out after your food is done? The one is my office is caked with years worth of grime. I gave up trying to clean up after everyone.
- —Guest Diana