How I was discriminated against
1.) Agencies and employers are only looking for people with 3-5 years experience, even though I am qualified for the position.
2.) Will not let you register, or post resume on line, unless you enter your age or what year you graduated from high school or college.
3.) Will not consider hiring experienced people even though they will take a significant cut in pay. Reasoning is that, once economy gets better, experienced people will want more money & leave.
4.) Being told you are "over qualified" for the position. Yet position is still unfilled 6-months later.
What it's like being an older or younger job seeker
I have interviewed with several companies over the phone and in person. There is a definite reaction when they see or talk to you.
Basically, the interview is over after they discover my age and amount of experience I have...
Many placement agencies have complained that too many of their clients are looking for the proverbial "Purple Squirrel"...
- Experience is a key reason why I am disqualified.
- Taking a cut in Salary, sometimes over 50%, is still not enough.
- Positions advertised are still showing up 6-12 months later.
- 3-5 years experience versus actual requirements are not possible.
- Contract offerings are not being considered for older workers.
- Tax breaks for new hire employees are not being audited by State.
- Inside feedback, companies are facing many quality issues.
- Most salary layoffs were disproportionally 40-years old people.
- Inside feedback, companies promoted younger people after older personel were permanently laid off.