1. Careers
Send to a Friend via Email
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

US Exchange Visitor (J) Visas

US J-1 Visas


US Exchange Visitor (J) Visas

Passport Visa Stamps

Copyright Getty Images Cocoon
US Exchange Visitor (J) non-immigrant visas are for individuals approved to participate in work and study based exchange visitor programs. The J-1 visa enables foreign nationals to visit the United States in order to experience life in the US. Here's information on Exchange Vistor visas including how to find a sponsoring organization and how to apply for a J-1 visa.

Recipients of a J-1 visa can remain in the US for the duration of their program, plus may arrive 30 days prior and department 30 days after the program ends.

J-1 Visa Programs

J-1 visa programs are available for a variety of categories of workers including:

  • Alien Physicians
  • Au Pairs
  • Camp Counselors
  • Government Visitors
  • Interns
  • International Visitors
  • Professor and Research Scholars
  • Short Term Scholars
  • Specialists
  • Students, College/University
  • Students, Secondary School
  • Summer Work Travel
  • Teachers
  • Trainees

Applying for a J-1 Visa

In order to apply for a J visa you must first apply, meet the requirements, and be accepted to an exchange visitor program through a designated sponsor organization.

A list of sponsoring organizations is available online and applicants need to contact the sponsors directly to take part in one of the exchange programs. Once you have been accepted by a sponsor the organization will assist with the visa application process. Prospective exchange visitors apply for the J-1 visa at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country using the Form DS-2019 issued to them by their designated sponsor.

J-1 Visa Application Information

The private web sites, and the information linked to both on and from this site, are opinion and information. While I have made every effort to link accurate and complete information, I cannot guarantee it is correct. Please seek legal assistance, or assistance from State, Federal, or International governmental resources to make certain your legal interpretation and decisions are correct. This information is not legal advice and is for guidance only.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.