One of the questions that is usually asked during a job interview is "Why are you quitting your job?" or "Why did you quit your job?" if you have already quit.
Review these suggestions on how best to answer questions about quitting your job and tailor your response to meet your particular situation.
Prepare answers to typical job interview questions, like this one, in advance. Practice your responses so you sound positive, and clear, about your circumstances and your goals for the future.
Sample answers to the interview question "Why did you quit your job?"
- I quit my job because my supervisor retired. I felt that after many years of working in the office that it was time for a change and this seem like the ideal time to move on.
- I was able to take advantage of an early retirement offer due to company downsizing and am ready for a new challenge.
- I resigned to focus on finding a job that is closer to home and will use my skills and experience in a different capacity.
- I don't have room to grow with my current employer and I'm ready to move on to a new challenge.
- I'm looking for a new challenge and to grow my career and I couldn't job hunt part time while working.
- I have been volunteering in this capacity and love it. I'm seeking to turn my passion into the next step of my career.
- I was laid-off from my last position when my job was eliminated due to downshizing.
- After several years in my last position, I'm looking for an company where I can contribute and grow in a team-oriented environment.
- I am interested in a new challenge and an opportunity to use my skills and experience in a different capacity than I have in the past.
- I recently achieved certification and I want to utilize my educational background and technical skills in my next position.
- I am interested in a job with more responsibility, and I am very ready for a new challenge.
- I left my last position in order to spend more time with an ill family member. Circumstances have changed and I'm more than ready for full-time employment again.
- I was commuting and spending an hour each day on travel. I would prefer to be closer to home.
- To be honest, I wasn't considering a change, but, a former colleague recommended this job to me and was intrigued by the position and the company. It sounds like an exciting opportunity and an ideal match for my qualifications.
- This position seemed like an excellent match for my skills and experience and I am not able to fully utilize them in my present job.
- The company was downsizing and I thought it made sense to seek another position before my job was eliminated.
More Interview Answers About Leaving Your Job
More interview answers to use when you quit your job, resigned, were fired, laid-off, or otherwise left your job.
More Job Interview Questions and Answers
Job Interview Questions and Answers
Typical interview questions and suggested answers.
Jon Interview Questions to Ask
Sample job interview questions to ask the interviewer.