Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the minimum age for employment in non-agricultural employment is 14.
Under Age 14:
Children age 13 or under cannot work at a non-agricultural job.
Hours 14 and 15 year olds can work are limited to:
- Hours when teen isn't in school
- 3 hours on a school day
- 18 hours total during a school week
- 8 hours on a non-school day
- 40 hours total during a non-school week
- Hours between 7 am and 7 pm from Labor Day to May 31
- Hours between 7 am and 9 pm from June 1 through Labor Day
Hours Ages 16 and 17 Can Work:
There is no limit on hours, but, if you're under 18 you can't work in a job that the Labor Department considers hazardous.
Over Age 18:
There are no limits on the hours you can work if you are over 18.