Phone interviews are used by hiring managers as a tool for screening candidates for employment.
Phone interviews are conducted as screening interviews to determine which candidates to invite to interview in-person. Phone interviews are also used as first and second round interviews by employers, in order to save in-person interview time and to reduce the applicant pool to the most qualified candidates for the job.
Phone Interview Questions
When you are invited for a phone interview, it's important take time to review the typical phone interview questions you'll be asked and to prepare answers. It's also important to have a list of questions to ask the interviewer.
You'll only have a few minutes to ask questions. So, pick a few interview questions that are relevant to the job, to your potential role at the company, and to your background and skills, to have ready when you're asked if you have any questions.
Phone Interview Questions to Ask
- How would you describe the responsibilities of the position?
- What qualities are you looking for in the person you hire to join this company?
- If I was hired, how would I be interacting with you and your department, what would be your expectations, and your measures for success?
- How would I get feedback about how well my work meets the expectations?
- What do you view as the most challenging part of this job?
- Why is the last person who held this position leaving?
- Who does this position report to?
- How would you describe the company culture?
- What is the typical work week? Is overtime expected? How about travel?
- What are the opportunities for advancement with the company?
- Is there anything else can I tell you about my qualifications?
- Could I schedule an in-person interview at your convenience?
- If I am extended a job offer, how soon could I start?
- Would you like a list of references?
- When can I expect to hear from you?
- Are there any other questions I can answer for you?
Phone Interview Tips and Advice
Review phone interview etiquette, including phone interview techniques, advice on how to prepare for a phone interview, and phone interview questions and answers, so you can ace the interview.