When you are writing letters, it's important to select a font that is clear and easy to read. Here's how to choose a letter font that is professional and readable, as well as how to choose the appropriate font size for your letter.
It is important to select a font that is large enough so that the reader doesn't have to squint to read your letter, but not so big that your letter doesn't fit well on a page.
Use a Basic Font
Using a simple font will ensure that your letter is easy to read. Basic fonts like Arial, Verdana, and Times New Roman work well. Depending on how much content you have in your letter select a 10 or 12 point font size. It's best if you can format your letter so it fits on one page.
Regardless of the font size you select, there should be space at the top of the letter and between each paragraph and each section of your letter. A squished letter without enough spacing is hard to read. Here's how to space your letter.
In addition, avoid writing in all capital letters, bold, or underlining when you format your letter. Letters and email messages in all caps are construed as yelling; bold and underlined text can be difficult to read.
How to Select a Letter Font
When you are using Microsoft Word, here is how to select a font for your letter and how to select the font size. If you're using a different word processing program, the process is similar. Select the content of your letter then choose a font and a font size.
You may need to try a few font size variations so your letter fits on a single page with enough white space so it's not crowded.
- Select a font from the list at the top of your document before you start writing your letter, or:
- Type your letter.
- Highlight the content of your letter.
- Either select the font from the pop-up window or select the font from the list at the top of the document.
- Select the font size you want to use the same way.
- Proofread letter.
- Print your letter, even if you are going to upload it online or email it, to make sure that it is formatted, properly spaced, and looks the way you want.