In addition, when interviewing for a internal position, you will be asked specific questions related to your present job, the company, your role within the company, and the job you are applying for.
Review some of the internal job interview questions you may be asked when interviewing for a new job with your current employer.
Sample Internal Job Interview Questions
- Why do you want to leave your current job?
- Does your manager know you have applied for this job?
- Would your manager recommend you for this position?
- What is it like working for your supervisor?
- If the people who work with you know ask why you should be hired, what would they say?
- What do you like best about your current position at the company?
- What don't you like about the job you're in now?
- What other positions have you held with the company?
- How long have you been in your current position?
- What was your biggest success story in XYZ department?
- Can you tell me what you know about the position you are being considered for?
- What do you know about our department?
- Why do you want the new position?
- Why should we consider you for this position
- Are you the best candidate for this position? Why?
- What training will you need to be successful in this position?
- How would you handle the transition to your new job?
- How will you handle it if you don't get the job?
Use Your Insider Status to Your Advantage
When you respond to job interview questions, remember that internal candidates have an insider advantage because they already work for the company. Differentiate yourself from the competition when you are competing with external candidates by mentioning your company-specific experience, knowledge, and skills when you answer the interview questions.
It's also important to give examples of successful accomplishments and projects, how you have helped meet the company's goals, and your achievements in your current position.
More Interview Questions
Before you go to the interview, take the time to review the "standard" interview questions that you will most likely be asked. Also review sample answers to these typical interview questions.
Job Interview Articles and Advice
- What to Wear to a Job Interview
- Job Interview Questions and Answers
- Top 10 Job Interview Tips
- Phone Interview Etiquette
- Job Interview Thank You Letters