Before you send your cover letter, review this checklist to make sure that you have covered all the basics and are sending a perfect cover letter to your prospective employer.
Cover Letter Checklist
- The contact name and company name are correct.
- The letter is addressed to an individual, if possible.
- Letter mentions the position you are applying for and where it was listed.
- Your personal information (name, address, home phone, cell phone, email) is all included and correct.
- If you have a contact at the company, you have mentioned him or her in the first paragraph.
- Cover letter is targeted to the position you are applying for.
- Letter is focused, concise, clear, and well organized.
- If you have a gap in your employment history you have explained it in your cover letter.
- Font is 10 or 12 points and easy to read (Times New Roman or Arial, for example).
- There are no spelling, grammatical or typographical errors.
- You have read the cover letter out loud to make sure there are no missing words.
- You have kept a copy for your records.
- Letter is signed if you are mailing it.
- Resume and letter are mailed flat in a business envelope (first choice) or neatly folded into thirds with the resume on top of the letter.
- Cover letter is printed on good quality bond paper that matches your resume.
Writing cover letters, cover letter samples, as well as tips and tools for writing an effective cover letter and other job search correspondence.