1. Careers
Alison Doyle

Good Reasons to Quit Your Job

By April 13, 2014

nullDo you need a good reason to quit your job? Do you want to quit, but don't know if you should? Or, do you know that you're resigning, but don't have a good reason to give your employer and you'd rather not say you hate your job?

There are lots of good reasons to quit a job. In fact, there are circumstances when quitting may be the best option.

Sometimes though, even if you hate your job, it can make sense to give another reason for quitting. There's no reason to burn your bridges with your current employer if you don't have to. It will avoid the stress of worrying about what they might say about you if they are a company that gives out information when employee references are checked.

Here is a list of good reasons to quit your job and if you have a reason that works when someone doesn't want to give the real reason they are resigning, please add it to our list of reasons to quit a job.

Not sure how to quit or when to give notice? The formal way to resign is to write a resignation letter. However, depending on circumstances, you may need to quit over the phone or to quit via email.

Here are resignation etiquette tips to help you quit with class.

Related Articles: I Quit! How to Resign | Top Reasons to Quit a Job | Resignation Letters | Can a Company Fire You After You Give Notice?

Read More: What to Do When You Hate Your Job

Image Copyright Matt Jeacock

Comments
June 24, 2011 at 4:57 pm
(1) Heather R. Huhman says:

Alison, thanks for the fabulous resources! As someone who has quit their job before, it’s hard to think that quitting won’t leave your boss with a bad taste in their mouth. Honesty is by far the best policy, and, by not burning bridges, you might find yourself in a better career down the road!

June 27, 2011 at 11:16 am
(2) Latigo says:

Just a heads up …… be careful about too much honesty re a bad job when you decide to quit, especially if you’re quitting to get away from harassment or a situation that you suspect might not be lawful and you don’t want to become involved through having knowledge and following instructions.

Also, be aware that the qualifications for receiving unemployment are generally based on state law and regulations, and they can vary quite a bit from state to state re voluntary quit or getting fired for cause, etc. Qualifications can always vary if you are working for a temp agency or are a 1099 contractor, so always check with your state unemployment office for the law in your state. Generally the federal extension of benefits will follow acceptance based on your state’s already implemented law.

I use to help write the legislation for unemployment for a state legislature, and there are a lot of in’s and out’s to know about qualifying for benefits and how to collect them.

August 18, 2011 at 4:20 am
(3) Jobs NSW says:

Job competition is too tough now a days. Really better think about first before resigning and/or make sure that there’s really a job waiting for you after quitting your job.

September 2, 2011 at 2:30 pm
(4) jobs in brisbane says:

Quitting does not mean you’re a failure. Maybe you need another job for you to grow. Many reasons to discuss with. But whatever reason it is, i think it’s for your own good.

September 6, 2011 at 5:00 am
(5) Employment Agencies Melbourne says:

Think your future first before taking an action. Take it as a challenge.

October 5, 2011 at 3:07 am
(6) Jobs WA says:

Be patient in what you are doing.

October 19, 2011 at 3:14 pm
(7) Jonathan says:

I agree it’s important to be careful what you say and how you say it. You don’t want it to come back to bite you if you’ve told your boss you can’t stand the job and then he gets a call checking your references.

April 8, 2013 at 10:11 pm
(8) seo says:

We are convinced I have check this out very same type of assertion anywhere else, it must be gathering popularity with all the people.

August 26, 2013 at 8:49 pm
(9) sophie says:

i really want to resign, in fact i have prepared my resignation letter but i don’t know if it’s the best idea to resign without a new job. i don’t know what to do.

September 6, 2013 at 11:17 pm
(10) justin says:

Quit the job you hate immediately and find or create work you are content with.

January 6, 2014 at 3:17 am
(11) Alleta says:

Guys i hate my job all heartedly am abused emotionally, 2 years back was employeed in this company and was told trainning is provided, only to find is not a month later i was moved else where around the company to be comfortable as they say, i have been in that terriable position till now this situation is costing my health,my family, happiness and depression, i honestly want to resign but keep on coming up with excuses of my debts.

January 10, 2014 at 12:26 am
(12) shawn says:

I landed a job at a place that pays great, offers amazing benefits, pays for education and its full time. From what I understand the job is very difficult, physically. I got very lucky though because I have really put effort into this company to get in and it happened for me. I haven’t started there yet and my current employer is a good friend of mine but I only have part time and minimum wage with no benefits and my debt is stacking because I can’t afford to pay it. I’m worried about losing a friendship because the place I work is struggling to keep employees (and its obvious why) and it’ll basically make my friend/boss have to work my shifts with out extra pay and it will give her less time with her kids who she is battling for custody for and doesn’t get them a lot already. I’ll feel bad but I can’t afford to stay. I have a kid myself and I have to think about my future. How would you explain it in the most positive way to end your position for a better one. I can’t even give a notice. I start in 2 days at the new place.

March 2, 2014 at 1:07 pm
(13) Christjan says:

If you are planning on quitting your job, there might be various of reason why you want to do so. If your being abused it is a no brainier that you should quit, since your mental health and sometimes even physical health is not worth the risk since those folks are abusive and don´t give them a free pass to continue. IF your work is great risk for your physical health, quit its not worth your health. If you’re company does something against the law or something unethical quit its not worth your dignity to be framed. These are the reason where I see quitting as no brainier.

IF you want to quit for other reasons you might want to give it a second thought, are you on a temporary contract? You don’t need to do much then just let it expire (if its close to expire; if you not close enough and you feel you want out just try to negotiation for it to be cancelled). If you are on temporary contract with possible of extension then just tell them that you don’t want your contract extended or ask for another temporary contract without extension. IF you are on none temporary contract then you will have to figure out how long period you will have to work after handing in your resignation

April 21, 2014 at 1:09 am
(14) Prakin says:

There are many reasons to quit the job. if you decide to quit the job just go head and do it. there are many jobs outside waiting for you. this is not the only company providing job to you. think in the way and find a new job which suits your career.

But before quitting the job make sure you have valid reason to do so.