1. Careers
Alison Doyle

Do You Need a Cover Letter?

By April 13, 2014

Do you really need a cover letter when you apply for jobs? Can you get by with just a resume? Or is sending a quick message to a contact on LinkedIn, for example, enough? Does it matter how you outreach to potential employers and how you promote your accomplishments - and yourself? How about if the company doesn't ask for a letter? Should you include a cover letter even when it's not required?

I asked several career experts for their take on cover letters. Susan Heathfield, About.com's Human Resources Expert, says, "Your cover letter is particularly important. It's the job searcher's opportunity to help the potential employer see that the applicant's skills and experience match what the employer seeks. In the current economic climate, with the scarcity of jobs, a well-written cover letter distinguishes your application."

Career expert Heather Huhman notes that "Cover letters allow you--in narrative form--to tell the employer exactly why hiring you, instead of the numerous other candidates, is a good decision.

I agree. I'm of the school of thought that a cover letter is the best way to make a good impression on a prospective employer and a way to show that employer why you are a strong candidate for the job.

What should you include in your cover letter? The best way to write a cover letter that will help you get an interview is to write a targeted letter that specifically relates your experience to the job posting. Here's how to write a targeted cover letter. Before you start, check out these cover letter examples to get ideas for your own letters.

Read More: Cover Letters | Cover Letter Examples | How Long Should Your Cover Letter Be? | Should You Include a Cover Letter When It's Not Required?

Comments
March 23, 2009 at 6:35 pm
(1) AB says:

After working in the recruiting industry for almost 4 years, I’ve realized that most firms barely have time to review cover letters. Typically, finance firms require candidates to submit a copy of their resume. Have you checked out OneWire.com? OneWire is a new finance related job site that does not require candidates to upload a cover letter. Candidates are able to create a profile and put in more info than they would ever be able to fit on a resume.

November 18, 2011 at 7:25 pm
(2) get a loan with no credit check says:

March 23, 2009 at 6:37 pm
(3) Avery says:

After working in the recruiting industry for almost 4 years, I’ve realized that most firms barely have time to review cover letters. Typically, finance firms require candidates to submit a copy of their resume. Have you checked out http://www.OneWire.com? OneWire is a new finance related job site that does not require candidates to upload a cover letter. Candidates are able to create a profile and put in more info than they would ever be able to fit on a resume.

March 23, 2009 at 6:48 pm
(4) IMHO Girl says:

As someone who interviewed & hired for a help desk for the last few years, I never read any of the cover letters because I didn’t have the time. I jumped straight to the resume and did my weeding based on that. However, I could see how in certain industries (non-technical) a cover letter would be considered extremely important. Fortunately, though, I work in IT where your skill and technical knowledge is valued more than how well you can type a business letter.

March 23, 2009 at 6:56 pm
(5) Linda Noland says:

In todays competitive job market, I agree that cover letters are vital. I recommend that a job seeker do research prior to applying for any position and that information can be used in the cover letter to specifically point out – with examples – why the applicant is right for the job!

March 24, 2009 at 8:11 am
(6) Rufus says:

Walking into a job opening without a cover letter is like not tying up the bathrobe. You may have nice stuff, but you want to control the rate of exposure.

March 24, 2009 at 2:16 pm
(7) Sheryl says:

I am in the process of hiring an administrative assistant/receptionist. The cover letters I have received are a very important piece of infomation in the hiring process. Many people have their resume professionally created. The cover letter allows me to see the sender’s grammar, spelling and mostly their personality. I believe it is especially important to send one if you are answering an ad that specifically asks for a cover letter and resume.

March 24, 2009 at 2:19 pm
(8) Kim says:

I work as an HR Manager for a Large non-profit agency. Part of my many responsibilities is recruiting for every job opening in the org. I do not have the time to read a cover letter. I sometimes have up to 600 resumes for 5 different jobs to read.
However, If I were looking for a job, I would write a cover letter in short but detailed message of my abilities.

March 24, 2009 at 2:26 pm
(9) Travel Jobs says:

I interview more than 300 new direct marking agents wanting a Travel Job. It does help when you see a nice cover letter.  It really shows the perspective agent took that extra minute to get what He or She was out to get.  At MyTravelJob.com we have 30+ Travel Jobs a month. I will always look for the agent that took the extra time, to impress me.

March 24, 2009 at 2:33 pm
(10) Keith says:

I handle all of the recruiting for our agency. The best cover letters have 2 columns following a brief intro paragraph. Column 1 has the qualifications we’re looking for and column 2 has the candidates matching qualifications, if any. For example:

Your Requirements My Qualifications
* Bachelor’s degree * Associate’s degree
* 3 years experience * 5 years experience

and so on. Makes scanning and matching a lot easier for us and that’s good for the candidates. Follow with contact info, anything else we should know, and you’re done! Also – make sure to put the following in the cover, resume’, and application:
* Your name (yes, some people actually don’t!)
* The job you’re applying for (we have several open and don’t take “generics”.)
* A CORRECT e-mail address (we contact first by e-mail, so check it!) It bounces, you go to the bottom of the ‘will contact’ pile.
* Phone #.

All of these go at the top so I can find them easier.

June 23, 2011 at 12:59 pm
(11) Natalie says:

Thank you for a great tip.

Sincerely,
Natalie

October 27, 2011 at 7:20 pm
(12) ashley says:

thank you so much! it made it really simple. it s almost too simple after stressing the cover the letter for so long. i hope this is correct, because i m taking this tip and running with it! God Bless.

March 24, 2009 at 3:44 pm
(13) Ray says:

maybe, maybe not – but if you really want the job – why chance it. Sure people don’t read cover letters when thinning down the pile, but once shortlisted there is a much greater chance it will get read. Boilerplate is better than nothing – sometimes anything will do, and sometimes not having at least a token cover letter will eliminate a resume

March 24, 2009 at 4:22 pm
(14) Daisy Wright says:

When in doubt, include the cover letter. Some hiring managers will read it and some won’t.

In my opinion, a cover letter provides an opportunity to explain gaps in employment or address some other important point that could not have been included in the resume. It’s also a chance to further market oneself.

March 25, 2009 at 4:34 am
(15) Roger Green says:

The cover letter is important to me. I’ve been on a number of search committees, and while the resume speaks to the general qualifications, the cover letter speaks to why the applicant wants to work HERE, rather than taking just any ol’ job. The cover letter is courting and wooing.

I must add that a bad cover letter can also be a weeding tool. when one gets 70 applicants for one job, a bad cover letter, one with numerous typos (though the resume is pristine) probably will sink an application.

March 25, 2009 at 11:50 am
(16) Dan Neff says:

There are only a few things in life that never change. One is the rule for writing a resume. One white heavy bond page, front only. A cover letter makes it two pages, a big NO NO. If you feel compelled to write a cover letter then simple write. Thank you for taking the time to read my attached resume for position XYZ. Sincerely, Joe Smith. As mentioned above, time is important to recruiters, so give them what they want to hear in the resume. Taylor your resume to the employer you are sending it to, but keep it to one page.

March 25, 2009 at 1:55 pm
(17) p says:

A cover letter is what can make or break your resume once a recruiter screens through the basics from your job experience. As a recruiter with 10+ years experience from entry level to VP level positions, yes we are busy but once a bunch of resumes is filtered through, cover letters help a great deal. If your cover letter is addressed to the wrong company, shows that you feel you are too good for a role, is over promising or over eager, or any number of other issues, your resume will quickly go to the bottom of my short list.

March 25, 2009 at 5:01 pm
(18) Tony Chester says:

I am the owner of a web design firm and cover letters are very effective ways to catch my attention. As we look at your writing skills as much as we do your technical skills, it’s highly important to knock my socks off and show me you did your homework. If anyone’s interested, I have a post on just this subject written last year – http://onwired.com/blog/the-importance-of-a-cover-letter/ It covers snippets of a few of my favorite cover letters received.

March 25, 2009 at 5:08 pm
(19) CareerMarketplace says:

Always write a unique cover letter. It sets you apart from the job search drones and often accidentally has information that you forgot to put on your resume. In the idea of keeping a resume under 2 pages, it is also a good way to purposely give details about parts of your resume.

March 26, 2009 at 1:31 am
(20) Patty Foster, Resume ResQ says:

As a Senior Recruiter and additionally a professional resume writer and job search coach, I believe an applicant is doing him/herself a disservice to forego sending along a cover letter. Think of it this way: a cover letter is like an invitation to a party. The cover letter should not rehash all or even most of what is on the resume. Rather a well-crafted, specific to the job cover letter is a sales tool, an enticement if you will, to read the resume much the same that an invitation entices you to attend a party. A cover letter can do much to set you apart in a positive way from those who just send their resume. Even for those recruiters who don’t read cover letters, you should send one because you won’t know if they are the ones who want one truly or do not. Many recruiters read the resume first, then go back to the cover. This is a tough market: give yourself every advantage, write and send a cover letter!

October 27, 2011 at 7:18 pm
(21) ashley says:

thanks! very informative. and true!

March 26, 2009 at 9:41 am
(22) Jobs says:

Cover letter is basically the first impression you give to your prospective employers so I feel its quite important.

March 28, 2009 at 11:16 am
(23) Betty Hanioakis says:

I receive many CVs as I work at a school. I have to say that I am indignant when there is no covering letter, as I have to open the person’s CV to see where to send it, i.e., secondary, primary, kindergarten, counseling, etc.)

April 7, 2009 at 8:25 pm
(24) Jared says:

I don’t bother sending cover letters. With the amount of time I would be spending tailoring it to a specific job, I could be sending out many more resumes, thus increasing my chances another way. I refuse to spend that much time writing to someone who won’t even give me the common courtesy of some sort of response; I don’t care how many applications they have to deal with.

April 12, 2011 at 11:03 pm
(25) Shaniqua says:

I certainly agree. I write with much care and precision. So, tailoring the letter takes a lot of time. When I have written specific cover letters, I hear back from the company like never. I have had much better outcomes by writing a paragraph summary of what I can for the company.

August 8, 2009 at 12:52 pm
(26) HR says:

It’s basic communication. You give someone something (a resume), and the letter serves to tell them why you’re doing it and thank them.

Cover letters are certainly ignored in some companies and they’re certainly picked over in others. Don’t assume that you know what they’re thinking or what they want.

Don’t make it complicated. Remember it’s purpose and be succinct. You’re better off including it than leaving it out.

March 12, 2010 at 11:43 pm
(27) Amelia says:

If you send a resume without a cover letter, chances are I wont read it. It looks lazy and like your not that interested in working for the company. Its all about making a good impression.

December 13, 2010 at 3:59 pm
(28) dan says:

i thought the best way to make an impression was in person…

April 6, 2011 at 1:35 am
(29) Eric says:

AGREED. Why should I spend extra time marketing when I won’t even get a response from you? If you want to note my speaking and grammar, by all means GIVE ME AN INTERVIEW.

August 3, 2011 at 8:08 pm
(30) Matt says:

WELL SAID! I can’t tell you how many hours I put in applying to jobs online. On top of cover letters, today’s online job searches require you to submit all of your information which is already on my resume and then to submit my resume at the end? What’s the point? Looking for a job online is a second job. Don’t get me wrong, I’m no where near lazy but putting in 2-3 hours a night after a 45 hour week day is tedious.

July 11, 2011 at 3:52 pm
(31) B Jenkins says:

I feel that a cover letter is an absurdity if the reasoning from the hiring manager is to see the candidate’s qualifications in narrative form. My resume contains all of my work experience with dates and duties included. As some others have written it seems that most hiring managers do not have time to even read all of the resumes that they receive. If a hiring manager finds interest in my resume then they should contact me to discuss it further. That is what a resume is for. Can we please dispense with the fruitless time and effort to compose a cover letter in today’s world.

August 8, 2011 at 1:56 am
(32) Charlie says:

My opinion is that a cover letter is really unecessary! I am a current manager so I do alot of hiring. I can’t tell you how annoyed I get when a get a long resume with a lenghty cover letter. Most of the time I just toss it in the trash! I’m way to busy to read all that crap. I like simple and to the point! Like most people with common sense if I’m concern with about grammar I would interview the individual. To each its own, but I still think its pointless to write the same stuff twice and a cover letter doesn’t guarantee you the job either. So really if an employer is sweating a cover letter that much then maybe you should look else where! I sure as hell would!

September 11, 2011 at 11:22 am
(33) Kay Stout says:

I had to smile when I read Keith’s description of a “T-format” cover letter. The format has been around for more than 25 years and is as applicable today as it was 25 years ago. You find 3 of the key components in the ad….match/exceed your ability to do those skills. One of the few times I encourage someone to bold anything in a letter – - if you “bold” the T-part of the letter it can grab their attention and increase your odds that your resume ends up in the “I’ll-look-at-it-later” pile.

September 12, 2011 at 2:29 pm
(34) Hill says:

Covers letters are a complete waste of time. Many times, we don’t know enough about the job we are applying for in order to compose a decent cover letter…..therefore, why bother?

You are only giving the screener a reason to reject your application.

September 15, 2011 at 5:04 am
(35) angela davis says:

A superior covering letter speaks for the candidate. A good resume and covering letter can boost chances of getting a better job.

September 18, 2011 at 2:26 pm
(36) Eirual says:

It comes down to this.
Write the cover if you REALLY want that job. If you come across “THE” job, company you want. Write the cover letter. In large corps, the resume will first go through an HR dept. They will weed out for the actual hiring manager (department or manager who is actually looking for someone). They may or may NOT read the cover, based on what specifically the manager asked for: IE., IF the manager says “oh, I want someone with a Masters Degree in picking up acorns, then HR will first scour the resume for that degree. You have it? great, go to pile #2. You don’t? go to file – (usually filed under “T” – trash). Now you’re in pile # 2, they will next look for the second qualification the manager asked for, & so on…. IF you’re in the final pile, they will either forward your resume (and cover letter) to the manager or they will read it and put you on the top of the list, and the hiring manager will read it when he/she is trying to narrow you from 10 applicants.
However, it all boils down to this: how bad do you want it? Is it a CAREER (the thing you love to do) or a “G.O.O.D.” (Get Out Of Debt) job that you’ll end up leaving to pursue that thing you DO love to do?
Remember, there is no guarantee that you’ll love the company after you’re hired, nor does the company have a guarantee they’ll love you after you’re hired. The cover letter is a pain, yep. But you are trying to smooze over the other 500 applicants, just to get that perfect job interview.

January 13, 2012 at 12:07 pm
(37) Susan Gainen says:

While I come down firmly on the side of YOU MUST have a cover letter, I accept that there may be some industries for which the quality of a cover letter is not part of the first cut.

That said, I wonder:

If an applicant for a technical job simply lists his or her technical skills, will that be enough in the end? In this competitive environment where the combination of superb technical skills and finely honed communication skills makes the ideal employee, might not a well-crafted cover letter make the difference at the hiring stage.

Many highly-technical jobs require more than just the skills of manipulating bits and bytes. Employees must create reports and manuals which are understandable and coherent to the non-technical people who may be paying for their services.

A cover letter addressing the kind of work that the employee will do can accomplish more than one thing:

1. Assure the prospective employer that the candidate really understands the nature of the technical work; and
2. Assure the prospective employer that the full range of non-technical work required is within the candidate’s grasp.

Write the letter.

February 1, 2012 at 5:36 pm
(38) Siena says:

As the HR manager of an outdoor clothing company we to get sometimes 300 resumes for one position. However my weeding process starts with the cover letter or lack there of. If you cannot be bothered to write a letter stating why you really want to work for our company when 299 other people do as well I do not even look at the resume. I chose which resumes to look at based upon the quality of the cover letter. You can tell a lot from what a person writes about themselves and their interest in a job.
We just recently had someone apply for the marketing manager position and not include a cover letter. As marketing manager communication skills are key. However only submitting a resume does not give me much demonstration of those skills. Nor does it make me think you really want the job.
Perhaps it’s different for larger companies but I agree that if you REALLY want want a particular job you should include everything possible to give yourself the edge. If the person sorting through resumes doesn’t care about cover letters and you include one they likely won’t view you in a negative light. However if the person who does the sorting does care and you don’t include one you have likely disqualified yourself.

March 19, 2012 at 4:42 pm
(39) Jazz says:

Being 19 and applying for your first job after education is tough since most vacancy’s require some sort of experience one way of the other.

Cover letters for me are a must for me. if sending an email you need to catch the attention of your employer and tell them 1) what position your actually applying for and 2) a short summary of why.
Even if the employer doesn’t manage to read the cover and skips to the CV.resume. at least you made the effort to thank them for considering and inform them of what this emails is actually for.

Also after selection process it might actually be read or used as a quick reference to your details.

I think of it this way: When sending a unexpected item through the post unrelated to anything in which the recipient has handled that day. there just going to open it and think….What?

Providing a explanation and the extra information really helps ^.^

April 16, 2012 at 6:40 am
(40) Kristi Enigl says:

There are many good comments here. As a recruiter for many years, I can tell you how many cover letters I have submitted to my clients: 0.

I work with CEO’s and Principals, typically emailing resumes in bunches of 5, to their smart phone. They simply do not have time for cover letters.

Also, I rarely read cover letters. I do however, read short emails.

As a career coach, I recommend that my clients send a cover letter, just make it short and sweet. I can’t hurt, can it?
Kristi Enigl, global Career Coach

April 18, 2012 at 10:49 am
(41) DJ says:

I submitted a cover letter along with my resume and landed two phone interviews with the company’s recruiter. At the conclusion of each call, I also sent out follow-up thank you notes. The recruiter has now requested I send a “narrative” on why I should be selected for the position. How is this different from my original cover letter (I’ve never encountered this request before)? Any suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

May 31, 2012 at 11:47 pm
(42) Walt says:

Bunk. The only people recommending cover letters are out of touch, anachronistic HR people who need a reason to justify the mostly useless and often counter-productive work that they do. Guess what, the candidates your hiring manager wants to interview are too busy to write a cover letter. If you’re turning away top talent because they’re opting out of your outdated game, then you’re doing your firm a major disservice.

HR should not be involved in culling candidates when they have zero subject matter knowledge. It’s much easier to discredit a candidate for not jumping through your bureaucratic hoops than to take the time to understand the open req and try to match up real talent.

Big business will be brain-drained by incompetent HR.W

October 26, 2012 at 7:23 pm
(43) Larry says:

it really doesnt matter, cover letter or not. No one is hiring so no one really looks at either resume or your vocab skills. Good luck to all out there i know i realy need it. the most screwed up economy yet (LOL)

December 3, 2012 at 10:02 pm
(44) CDM says:

The times I have wrote cover letters, I don’t even get confirmation of receipts. I wasted time and effort into writing the cover letters. They don’t read them, then they request salary history in the cover letter; they don’t provide salary information in job posting. I don’t get it, you want a cover letter but never even acknowledge the receipt. I can stomach rejection, I hate to be willfully ignored. As someone who have a Business Degree it’s frustrating that you expect a cover letter to a job that pays $12-14/hour. Really??? Is it even necessary, when you are expecting candidates to answer phones, interact with the public, and schedule meetings. How hard do you think the jobs is? The jobs that expect cover letters don’t even need them because they are really simple. These jobs are task driven not goal-driven.

December 9, 2012 at 11:24 pm
(45) eric says:

Today, most people will apply through talent management systems. Occasionally you’ll be able to add a cover letter. But because most HR recruiters are time constrained, they will often not review them. Secondly, if they review it, it will only be after they have done a seach on the talent database that meeting specific criterias. So, if your CV did not come out a the top relevancy list, there is absolutely no chance for you to distinguish yourself! That is where today’s world of recruiting is very different from the past! Automation has its drawbacks.

December 9, 2012 at 11:24 pm
(46) eric says:

December 26, 2012 at 11:04 am
(47) Darlene Zambruski says:

As a hiring manager and a resume/cover letter expert, I liken a cover letter to the synopsis one sees on the back of a book.

The cover letter should provide details about the product (in this case, the candidate) that compels the hiring manager or recruiter to read the resume.

One of the best covers letters I’ve found is the T-style that employs two columns. The one on the left is titled “What You’re Seeking” (or something equivalent). The column on the right is titled “How My Skills Match” (or something equivalent). The candidate then dovetails his or her expertise to the job description. The format is visually arresting and tells a hiring manager at a glance whether this individual is a good fit. Saves so much time and is so effective when done well.

May 24, 2013 at 4:12 pm
(48) Rashal says:

Thanks for the great informative post. Actually I had some confusion regarding cover letter but the post solve my most confusion about cover letter.

And saying in the lower part of the post gives me clear concept about cover letter.

Thanks again for the informative post.

June 18, 2013 at 4:16 am
(49) Cherie says:

It is frustrating when you put lots of effort into writing a professional cover letter, only to not hear back from recruiters. It’s like a kick in the teeth that your professionalism wasn’t noticed.

I’m applying for jobs tonight and for the first time I am NOT going to send cover letters. I would assume it may not be that necessary when looking for temp work through recruitment agencies.

Cherie.

June 27, 2013 at 12:31 pm
(50) Brian says:

I keep reading how recruiters only skim your resume so why would they read a cover letter? It is not realistic to expect someone searching for a job to write the perfect cover letter specific to every particular job they see and employers should be fair.

August 30, 2013 at 8:07 pm
(51) Jeanette says:

I don’t agree with a cover letter, I will send one if the job is specifically asking for one but I don’t see the point. My qualifications listed on my resume should be what you base the invitation to interview on. If you want to get to know me as an individual because my qualifications were what you were looking for then interview me. I see a cover letter as something that employers want to see to make them think you are interested in only working for that company but lets be real that’s not the case for the majority of people. Most of us are out here looking for a job because we need income. You need a cover letter or else it looks lazy and like I’m not interested in being with your company? The fact that I took the time to print and mail my resume to you or took the time to fill out whatever online application you require for your job should show you that #1 I am interested in working for you and #2 I am not lazy because I could have spent that time doing something else instead of reaching out to your company. If I wasn’t interested I wouldn’t be applying. Get over yourself and why not stop being lazy yourself, read over some of these resumes and schedule some interviews to actually get to know some people. Plenty out there looking for employment, it’s sad to come here and read that most places aren’t even going to skim my resume.

September 4, 2013 at 7:10 pm
(52) Ndj says:

As one who offers workhsops and tips on resume writing and interviewing skills, I have always advised my clients to include a cover letter. However, I just had a conversation with an upper-level professional that said of all the interviews he was invited to, over 20, he never included a cover letter. The times when he did include a cover letter, he was never invited to an interview. Go figure! Now I am researching this topic again so I can provide accurate information and advice.

September 5, 2013 at 2:03 pm
(53) Brian says:

I never write a cover letter unless specifically asked for in the job posting. My wife, who is in healthcare, received over 500 applications for just one job. To make matters worse, these were all from internal transfers from within her own hospital network in just one week!!! She told me, she couldn’t even read every resume that was submitted. She couldn’t even get to the externally submitted resumes from outside-the-network job hunters and took the first qualified candidate. She said it was a very daunting task. If your resume is written correctly, your Executive Summary should be just like your cover letter. If the company is interested in bringing you in for an interview or at least calling you for a telephone interview from the recruiter, then that is the time to answer questions or explain any gaps the company might have about your resume. With today’s technology (i.e. LinkedIn profiles, Job Boards, etc.), I believe cover letters are going to slowly disappear as the information is becoming repetitive. We live in unprecedented times to be looking for work. There are more workers than jobs and it is only going to get worse as the workforce enlarges with new trading partners while global economies contract. Moral of the story, it is all about who know, not what you know….so get out there and Network! Network! Network!

October 22, 2013 at 3:40 pm
(54) Drew says:

I am in the process of applying for a position through Careerbuilder.com. At the bottom of this position they have “Include cover letter?” I have to say that in my various positions over the years a cover letter never made a difference. I just spoke to a few of the Program Managers and they do not like cover letters. To them it’s “fluff”. If you did not want the job you would not apply for it in the first place. Now, they did say if it is an administrative/clerical position it would provide a good example of the person’s ability to communicate.

Since a cover letter in this case is an option I may go with just my resume.

January 10, 2014 at 6:15 pm
(55) Mike says:

It’s a two way street for prospective employers and employees alike. Employers sometimes forget that they also have to appear attractive if they want the best talent. It’s not just the applicant’s duty to “sell” themselves, it’s the company’s also, and many companys FAIL at this.

A company that appears stifling and picky does not get my cover letter or resume. As well, company’s that do not respond to my application whether generic or specific go in a little black book of “don’t bother.”

A company that spends hours pouring over cover letters is inefficient at best and stuck in the dark ages.

January 17, 2014 at 8:43 am
(56) Renee says:

I’ve worked in the journalism/communications field since 1993. I’ve had several writing and public relations jobs (from news reporter to corporate pr jobs). Even in that field I never submitted a cover letter, but I’m still always getting calls and have always gotten calls without a cover letter. I will start sibmitting them, but I have heatd that a well wriiten resume or poorly written resume gives a recruiter all the info they need to know about a candidate.