1. Careers
Alison Doyle

Federal Government Furloughs 2013

By October 1, 2013

Many of the 2.1 million federal employees could be furloughed from work because of the federal government shutdown. One of the concerns for federal workers eligibility for unemployment. According to the U.S. Office of Personnel Management:

It is possible that furloughed employees may become eligible for unemployment compensation. State unemployment compensation requirements differ. Some States require a 1-week waiting period before an individual qualifies for payments. In general, the law of the State in which an employee's last official duty station in Federal civilian service was located will be the State law that determines eligibility for unemployment insurance benefits.

Here's more information on unemployment benefits for furloughed federal workers. As noted, qualifying for unemployment benefits is determined by state guidelines. Check with your state unemployment office for information on eligibility for unemployment in your location.

Related Articles: How Bad is Sequestration? | Unemployment Eligibility | Impact of Shutdown on Unemployment | Unemployment for Furloughed Federal Employees

Comments
February 28, 2013 at 1:22 pm
(1) T. Anne Cooper says:

I am a widow and federal employee making 60,000 a year and with the furlough it will be hard to make my mortgage payment, so is there anything that can be done or will most of the lower paying employees just end up in forclosure

February 28, 2013 at 1:28 pm
(2) Alison Doyle, Job Search Guide says:

If sequestration happens, you may be eligible for partial unemployment benefits. Eligibility depends on your state, but it’s definitely worth checking if you are furloughed.

February 28, 2013 at 5:12 pm
(3) Liz says:

Why are presidential appointees, cabinet positions, deputy secretaries and their assistants exempt? Some of these “assistants” should be the first to go.If they’re trying to cut back some of the fat it should go ACROSS THE BOARD!!!!!!!!! The federal government is very wasteful there are a lot of “Mickey Mouse” positions that are ridiculous.

February 28, 2013 at 8:08 pm
(4) Teresa says:

I think this is crazy!!!! The leaders of this country need to get off their high asses, and their high end jobs and get down the real world and how the real people have to live. They don’t have to worry about health care, don’t have to worry about gas being 4.00 a gallon, or even how they will pay for their next meal or bill even. Oh I forgot, they don’t have bills cause they make BIG BUCKS!!!!! Starting at the top and working it’s way down, they might realize how us lower or so called middle class people really live. I am a 60 yr old woman who has to work for a living and needs her money. I bought a newer car, which means car payments, and now you are telling me I might have to work less? Are you going to pay for my bills when the start piling up? I don’t think so. SO GET IT TOGETHER. Stop giving yourselves raises or few health care. Get down to OUR LEVEL FOR ONCE

March 1, 2013 at 9:44 pm
(5) Barry says:

I have 33 years with the federal government and a veteran ( not a double dipper); and prior to that I worked in private industry after college for about 10 years, so I know both sides of the culture. All of people I work with who perform vital functions to keep aircraft properly overhauled and safe are dedicated to what they do, even in today’s atmosphere, with no COLAs for the last three year and now the impending furloughs. We all go over and above to provide the warfighter the best equipment to do their jobs. Most don’t get recognized with awards or bonuses, but they do their jobs without question or complaint. If most Americans think that Federal workers are overpaid, they need to think again about this. Everyday I make decisions about what repair procedures. Because we are normally only one deep in our expertise; many of us routinely fill in for employees who are on leave or who are sick. This necessitates coming up speed on a subject very quickly. If anyone thinks that is easy–it is not.

Frankly I am completely disgusted with our leaders. If it were up to me, they all would be sent home packing. Most are self serving (the republicans) and all are not in touch with reality. Will there ever be a middle ground of agreement? sadly, probably not. With this sequester in place, both sides got what they wanted. The Republicans got budget cuts and the democrats got immunity in cuts to social programs.

Folks, If you really desire to change the current status quo, vote all these people out office. You had your opportunity in the 2012 election; but guess what, most incumbent got voted right back in–do we not learn our lessons!

March 4, 2013 at 5:50 pm
(6) DES says:

Congress do not have to pay for their kids educations either. HOW IS THAT!!!!!!!

March 7, 2013 at 9:30 am
(7) George Mims says:

1. Does the Administrative Furlough affect Federal Employees Overseas?

Comment: I have read many comments posted by Federal Employees on different sites. Many of the comments are Federal Employees whinning over being furloughed. In my opinion we would not be here if not for Government over spending. Secondly Federal Employees best be appreciative that they have a job. If the majority of the Employees were employed in the civilian sector they wouldn’t be making the money you they now. Tighten your belt a little, and if you have placed yourself in a position of over spending yourself, I would recommend that you seek financial counselling. I worked in the Federal System for 35 years and I seen plenty of waste and abuse of the system, believe me.

George

March 7, 2013 at 2:03 pm
(8) Dee says:

Yes, we all as DACs will take a hit. I too am disgusted with our leaders in Washington. The least they could do is take a hit for the country. Shame on all politicians in D.C. No more votes from me.

March 7, 2013 at 3:33 pm
(9) John says:

Tax imports 300%. Stop Corporate capitalization on Slave labor. Almost everything is foreign made- the ports, freeways, trucks, railways, electricity, and stores are nearly 100% used by foreign products. Who pays for those resources-you. Who is out of work and in debt to foreign markets $1,400,000.00-you. Who cant make a living bulding products-you. Boycott foreign goods. Tea Party foreign goods, dump it in the harbors, sink the transporters, impose a 300% import tax. And then enjoy making a living and having a future with schools, roads, music, math, ballet, and a weekend boat like in 1960.
In San Diego 1 in 4 people owned a boat in 1960s. Gas was 19 cents a gallon. Stop thinking about cutting back being a solution and start making a future with children not living on our streets.-Hello!?

March 12, 2013 at 2:08 pm
(10) Employee says:

I am a federal employee with 24 years in service. Two years ago I moved across country (PCS) to another duty station for a career move. I have my house at the previous station up for sale and have bought a house at the current station. I have been paying two mortgages for about 2 years now. It has been very difficult with kids in college and 2 mortgages. My wife went back to work, but the job prospect for someone that hasnít been in the workforce of a couple of decades is limited to minimum-wage part time jobs. But every penny helps! With her working in addition to borrowing against my retirement and selling our 2nd car we barely are making it. Now add a 20% cut in pay to the hurt is very painful.

March 12, 2013 at 3:01 pm
(11) Ricky says:

I am a federal employee for 6 years. I am thankful that I still have a job but the only thing I disagree is that those poeple who are exempted from this furlough. I get it that everybody has bills to pay but if there is somebody that is getting paid alot, that is the top dogs of the congress and white house. Fire those poeple who are there in the white house for just moral support. They don’t need people getting paid up 300,000 dollars a year for nothing.

March 20, 2013 at 3:44 pm
(12) Terry Racine says:

Why don’t the GOP lawmakers take leave without pay, until this mess is settled? They are the one’s that created this mess.

March 23, 2013 at 10:58 am
(13) Kristine says:

For those being affected, please consider signing petition and sharing with friends, family, coworkers.

March 28, 2013 at 4:34 pm
(14) Heather says:

George Mims, I am a federal employee and have been for the past year and a half. Before that I was working in the civilian sector. This illusion of federal employees making more money than the civilian workforce is incorrect. I actually had to take a pay cut to go federal. Many government contractors are making 10-20 thousand more a year than many of the federal employees.

There is a difference between tightening your belt a little and taking a 20% pay cut. Living within your means is different than living within your means minus $1000 or more a month. Can you afford to cut $1000 or more a month from your budget right now and not have some issues? Yes, you will probably be fine for a month or two, but how about extending that out for 6 months? Yes, we can seek financial counseling and many are, however, if you are living within your means and not over spending, what are you supposed to cut? Your kid’s lunches, car maintenance, house maintenance, etc?

We are employees with jobs just like everyone else. If another company decided to reduce their employees’ pay by 20% they would be protesting the same way we are and we would be reading about it on sites like this as well. Just because we work for the government does not mean we do not count or do not get a voice.

Yes, we are happy to have a job. Yes, a lot of the problems we are going through now is because the government has been over-spending. And yes, there is plenty of waste and abuse of the system. However, most of us are not the cause, but we are still affected by it. We need to start fixing the system, report and stop the waste and abuse, and try to ensure this does not happen again in the future.

May 8, 2013 at 2:36 pm
(15) Lisam says:

My husband was just furloughed for 3 months but they are still hiring in his department! Why not let them keep their hours and do not hire any more people. What is the reasoning behind this????

June 6, 2013 at 1:37 am
(16) Richard says:

I know of a place that is furloughing for 22 weeks, but they are hiring like 200 or more people. HELLLO? Doesn’t make much sense. And they furloughed the day before a holiday, but paid them for the holiday… Hey i knwo lets not furlough, but instead lets “not pay for them for a holiday”. that makes more sense to a lot of people