1. Careers
Alison Doyle

Increases in NYS Unemployment Compensation

By March 30, 2013

The New York State Legislature has passed legislation that has increased unemployment benefits from the current $405 per week to 50% of the AWW (average weekly wage).   In addition, the minimum amount an unemployed worker will be eligible to receive will increase from $64 to $100 per week. The increases will go into effect gradually, starting in 2014:

• October 1, 2014 - $420
  • October 1, 2015 - $425
  • October 1, 2016 - $430
  • October 1, 2017 - $435
  • October 1, 2018 - $450
  • October 1, 2019 - 36% of Average Weekly Wage (AWW)
  • October 1, 2020 - 38% of AWW
  • October 1, 2021 - 40% of AWW
  • October 1, 2022 - 42% of AWW
  • October 1, 2023 - 44% of AWW
  • October 1, 2024 - 46% of AWW
  • October 1, 2025 - 48% of AWW
  • October 1, 2026 - 50% of AWW

Other changes include having to accept suitable work, if offered, after 10 weeks instead of the current 13 weeks requirement. Unemployed workers will have to contact employers at least two times per week and verify with the Department of Labor that they are actively job searching. Union members are exempt from the latter requirement if they are registered with the union hiring hall.

Read More: How to File for Unemployment | How to Calculate Unemployment | Unemployment Extension | Unemployment Benefits for 2013| Unemployment Compensation | New York Unemployment Benefits

Comments
April 2, 2013 at 7:06 am
(1) dana says:

Great but they have decreased it currently due to Sequester. And who can live on any of it in New York?!!!!!

April 23, 2013 at 7:00 pm
(2) franklyn says:

not enough….. it’s new york dont you get

May 22, 2013 at 12:32 am
(3) Caitlyn says:

I’ve been struggling to find employement for over a yr and I was receiving unemployment, $285 after state and federal taxes are taken out. Now with this sequestration I’m getting $253 after taxes. How does NYS except me to survive living on Long Island ( the place I’ve lived my entire life with my family ) Prices on Long Island are getting out of control. I’m heartbroken that I might have to leave the state and leave my parents, siblings and everyone I know because it’s nearly impossible for a 29 yr old to afford not to live paycheck to paycheck and barely getting by! My country needs to stop handing out Medicaid, food stamps, housing etc to people that are’t even legal citizens but are some how driving expensive cars. I guess if I had multiple kids without being a legal citizen and not being married then maybe my country would give me benefits that I as a tax payer deserve LIKE OH IDK HEALTH CARE!!!!!!

May 31, 2013 at 8:27 am
(4) Johnny Z says:

Why is Massachusetts unemployment benefits $674 a week when the cost of living compared to them is higher in New York?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!!?!? This doesn’t make sense:

September 28, 2013 at 10:00 pm
(5) Pam says:

There are jobs out there and people getting unemployment get free money because they do not want to work. That is crazy. I have a friend that quit her job because she did not like her boss well get over it. Many of us do not like our jobs but we work so we can exist when we get to retirement age. I say unemployment should be for 14 weeks and make people get a job. I have told my friend about several jobs I have seen but she gets more on unemployment than work. That is crazy. It does not help the unemployment level in NYS. Go get jobs and help the economy not stagnate us. Quit complaining and do something productive.

September 29, 2013 at 1:02 am
(6) Tony says:

You can’t collect unemployment if you quit your job. Also unemployment is not “free” money. You pay into it every week and deserve it if you need it.

October 15, 2013 at 12:57 pm
(7) Susan says:

Wow Pam , you must hate your friend if you are commenting like this. She won’t be eligible for unemployment benefits if there was no reason. Also you are offering her different jobs but do you even look into how much her expenses to commute would be and how economically possible this option is for her? It is not just a simple salary and unfortunately with the job market lots of companies are offering peanuts by knowing they can get well educated experience workers just because those people are desperate. Maybe your friend is not desperate yet and she is looking to explore her options in her field or maybe even take some classes and look for a completely different job. Instead of judging her you better look inside you and evaluate your personality .

November 24, 2013 at 3:02 am
(8) Pam says:

Pam mad cause she is miserable at her job, people who qualifies for unemployment paid into the system the same as you. There were WORKING PEOPLE who lost employment , get over yourself and find your happiness .

December 9, 2013 at 4:25 pm
(9) Anthony says:

Stop expecting to be taken care of, you need to grab yourself by the boot straps and pick yourself up. You can find work in New York anywhere, don’t be lazy you might have to get down and dirty so be it. Don’t depend on other people depend on yourself and apply yourself even if it’s not your ideal job at some point it will open other doors for you. All I hear is people complaining and yes maybe you deserve to but only for a New York minute because in NY we are tough resilient and hard working so if your having trouble with a job try a new direction or think out of the box and you will have a better life just get yourself out of that negative rut blaming everyone else. Think positive and do positive things even if you don’t get anything in return at that moment good things will come to you. It’s up to YOU!!!

January 19, 2014 at 7:23 am
(10) Lety says:

I unfortunately have gotten through the unemployment pool and is not something you can depend on cause with two children is hard to get by. But now my family and I are struggling and this time is my husband and YES PPL he is looking for work and putting himself out their and searching. He is not sitting on his ass like half of the ppl collecting unemployment cause they refuse to work and have ppl who pay their taxes also pay lazy ppl who. an work or look for jobs…. but he is not settling for minimum wage cause in reality minimum wage doesn’t help pay the bills or maintain a household or pay for school or food…. But that doesn’t mean he is relying solely on on unemployment….

February 23, 2014 at 9:40 pm
(11) Zman2001 says:

New York State unemployment is a joke. Let me think if a job is paying u 13.50 an hour after tax, benefits taken out your making less then u would not working. It’s hard to find a job that has a decent wage to being with. And if people lose there jobs by no fault of there own unemployment should be way higher. Look at conn. 645 a week plus 45 dollars for each kid up to three times that’s almost 800 a week. That’s almost enough to support three kids while looking for a job. New York State should be at least 550 to 600 a week405 is shit