1. Careers

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Alison Doyle

Minimum Wage Increases for 2012

By August 25, 2012

The minimum wage will increase in 2012 in eight states with minimum wages which adjust each year to keep pace with inflation.  Colorado, Montana, Ohio, Oregon, Arizona, Florida, Vermont and Washington announced increases effective January 1, 2012.  Ten states will increase the minimum wage in 2013.   Here's a list of 2013 minimum wage increases.

States With Minimum Wage Increases

• Arizona: $7.65
  • Colorado: $7.64
  • Florida: $7.67
  • Montana: $7.65
  • Ohio: $7.70
  • Oregon: $8.80
  • Washington: $9.04
  • Vermont: $8.46

The Federal Minimum Wage is $7.25 for covered non-exempt employees with some exceptions for certain types of workers, but, as you can see some states pay more than the minimum.

The last increase in the Federal Minimum Wage was in 2009.  However, the Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2012 has been introduced in Congress.  If passed it would increase minimum wage to $9.80 by 2014.

Use the Department of Labor's State Minimum Wage Rates chart to get information on the minimum wage in your location and information on when employers must pay overtime.

Read More: Minimum Wage | Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2012 | Minimum Wage Increases 2013

Connect With Alison:
Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | LinkedIn

Comments
December 31, 2011 at 8:18 pm
(1) Grace says:

Georgia is such a poor wage state, jobs that pay really well in other states have very low income here in Georgia. The cost of living is about the same here as other states so why isn`t there going to be an increase here as well. This country is going down hill very fast. All we can do is pray for peace, and hope it all gets better, very soon. So sad.

January 26, 2012 at 3:15 pm
(2) Andy says:

The current minimum wage, after taxes, barely allows families to make it through. I really wish they would index the federal wage to inflation and reflect COLA increases.

January 26, 2012 at 3:16 pm
(3) Andy says:

March 16, 2012 at 1:25 pm
(4) jewel smith says:

why don’t people realize that raising min wage just brings the middle class closer to poverty.
maybe we should raise min wage to $50. an hour or maybe $75, then we can all be making min wage again.

March 31, 2012 at 11:14 am
(5) Eric says:

People do not support families on minimum wage. The majority of minimum wage earners are young adults just entering the work force (i.e., college or high school students), or those who do not have a college degree, OR are in the food industry (servers), who rely on tips. To believe that there are a lot of (there may be a few) of families out there supporting their house hold off minimum wage is just silly.

April 8, 2012 at 10:56 pm
(6) James says:

Eric, it’s silly to believe how you do.

I see families all around this country who think eating at red lobster is something only rich people can afford to do, owning a brand new car (even a cheap pos) is a dream far out of reach, and even buying video games when they’re new for their kids is desired, but impossible.

I truly feel sorry for these people, but to pretend they don’t exist is not fair.

It’s a horrible circle of life these people live through, never having enough money to change their circumstances is a painful existence.

The reason you don’t think poor people are everywhere is because they can’t necessarily afford to go out and do things we all take for granted.

April 16, 2012 at 12:37 pm
(7) Dennis Rosenrosen says:

I can’t believe how much minimum wage makes! Getting a degree was suppose to give me greater opportunities for a higher wage. Why did I bother going back to school when I could have just stuck with min.wage.

April 24, 2012 at 9:20 am
(8) Melinda says:

Wow, Erik your a real piece of work. James, thank you, you are right. I am a 31 year old single mother of two working hard to make it an provide for my two little girls the best I can. I too, only make minimum wage. Most the people I know make minimum wage. Its not easy having to tell my two little girls they cant participate in activities that their school mates are, because Mommy had to use all the money pn food and bills. I believe minimum wage should be increased a little bit.

June 28, 2012 at 11:19 am
(9) Sherry says:

This is why we should all stop putting out trust in man, and trust in God.He is our provider.Without Him we cannot make it in this cruel world.Sure man has power,but God has all power.Man refused to give us a raise,but God said that “He would never leave us or forsake us”.Even in our times of trouble,when we feel like we can’t make ends meet,He’s still there.Let us start trusting in God,and not man,because man will fail us everytime.

July 25, 2012 at 3:24 am
(10) JamesB says:

Don’t be silly, people. Firstly, God is not granting wishes for mortals from the clouds. Secondly, minimum wage sucks, but most people earn what they get. You’re a single mother of two? I don’t know you. You might have a valid reason like your husband passing away or being violent. You might have a terrible reason like getting pregnant before marriage. I don’t know so I can’t judge. Raising the minimum wage hurts the global economy. What we should do is lower the corporate tax to 0% (it is a double tax). Then watch wages and employment go sky high.

August 10, 2012 at 9:08 pm
(11) Tammy Patterson says:

James, If your not judging why are you giving all this scenarios about Melinda. Really. I have a degree and I make less then $15,000 a yr believe it or not. It has nothing to do with what ” I earn I get.” I made way more years ago without a degree. I work in a school setting and they just pay poorly, but I chose to work there so I can have the same days off as my children. Also, my husband was military so we moved a lot. I wasn’t priviliged enough to be able to stay in a job and work my way up as many people are able to do. So, don’t come up with off the wall remarks about minimum wage and why someone earns that. There are many people with degrees who may have lost a job and also have to start over. This country pays poorly but yet our cost of living has rising every year.

August 21, 2012 at 7:19 pm
(12) dude says:

increasing minimum wage is what messed up the economy in the first place,it discourages employers from hiring workers,and minimum wage is what percent of the economy?man this is definitely a bad thing,not is it only going 2 b harder 4 me 2 get a job but now more minimum wage workers r going 2 get laid off and more businesses r going 2 go out of business,who the hell made up this minimum wage increase idea?!!!???!!

August 22, 2012 at 12:47 pm
(13) tabatha says:

I get a feeling that all these people who are against minimum wage increasing are those that make more than minimum. Not all of us could afford college and degrees bring up. But I did graduate high school with honors. I am a mother of there who is loving off of minimum wage. Just because you do not struggle like the rest of us does not mean that you should see no reason for an increase. Maybe they should just make a decrease in others pay so that the entire world makes the same amount. Then those more fortunate would see what its like to tell their kids they can’t have things like a snack because we are broke this week.

August 23, 2012 at 10:53 am
(14) Cathy says:

A lesson in basic economy: An increase in minimum wage means an increase in salary expenses for the company. So, the company has to raise it’s rates to compensate for the extra expense. By the time the product (or whatever) reaches the consumer the cost has increased exponentially because there was an increase in expense every step of the way. Thus the consumer, who may have just received a 20% raise in pay, suddenly finds their expenses have just gone up by 25%. (You cannot expect a company to simply absorb the extra costs. They are in business to make a profit. Once they stop making a profit, there is no reason for them to be in business.)

And what about the person who is already making just above the new minimum wage? He’s not going to get a raise in pay, because he has met the minimum wage requirement. But while he was managing to make ends meet before he suddenly finds himself with NO increase in pay and a 25% increase in expenses!

If the wage increase is not market-driven but is a political move, we ultimately end in a recession. (The last minimum wage increases helped to make the economy what it is today.)

August 28, 2012 at 2:55 am
(15) completebitch says:

All against probaly make way above and if true qabout things goin up. They don’t want 2 suffer. So let’s just continue 2 let everyone else suffer who they feel beneath them and in their eyes deserve it. More than u in the world asses

August 28, 2012 at 7:21 pm
(16) Geruna says:

If Ur making nothing you get nothing.Let these people have a chance to live half way decently. You big shots are but u have no compassion for anyone else but you. Maybe you will lose it all and then you’ll b wanting minimum wage to go up also. TABLES SHOULD TURN. I HATE SELFISH PEOPLE THAT THINK THEY R BETTER THAN OTHERS CUZ THEY MAKE MORE. IT CAN ALL TURN AROUND ON YOU

August 31, 2012 at 11:44 pm
(17) John says:

To all those against raising the minimum wage when the minimum wage increases the economy gets better because people are making more money that they spend which increases the strength of the economy. Cathy your flawed in your belief in what you said. I work at Big Lots and we mark lots of our products up by over 600% of what Big Lots pays for them just because people will buy the product. Increasing Minimum wage actually increases profits for corporations look at Henry Ford when he more than doubled his employees wages if you need proof.

September 5, 2012 at 1:21 pm
(18) Dan says:

Well i am lucky enough to make more than minimum wage. But i have businesses that will not survive all the increases, i could close them down, walk away but what happens to all of my employees that i care so much about. Maybe i am not a good manager, i give all extra back to my employees. I work at a seperate job that makes my livin. I work 7 days a week, normal job and have 3 other business. After 8 years i still do not not realize any profits from outside interest. But havin approximately 30 employees, i cannot walk away. Turn over with employees is not something i have to deal with. Most of them make over min by 2 or 3 dollars an hour. Not near enough, but due to all taxes high cost of supplies, my hands are tied. I know they would like more, and just because min wage goes up dont mean they will get more.

September 14, 2012 at 12:31 am
(19) Boomer42 says:

In my work I set my rate at 3x the minimum wage so if the MW goes up $.50, I raise my rate $1.50! Why do I do that? B/C every job, mine included, has a monetary worth generally based on the skill and training needed! Why does Kobie Bryant make $20 mill and a rookie bench warmer only $400k? If you raise the MW, then other wages go up too, which makes goods cost more, which means you’re not gaining anything! Simple Econ 101!!

September 14, 2012 at 10:20 pm
(20) Commonsense says:

We all make decisions in life. If you are not able to obtain a high enough paying job to support 2,3, or however many kids, maybe (dare I say it) you shouldn’t have had the kids. I don’t know—and am not going to pretend to know—anybodies situation, but this is a free country, and we’re all responsible for our actions. The decision you made to have a family debts you with a large responsibility, a responsibility that is no doubt tough at times, and would be extremely difficult to raise on minimum wage. But here’s the deal, it’s your problem. Minimum wage increases do not make economic sense. They interfere with the free market and prevent able transactions between worker and employer from happening. Be responsible, and understand that you have to pay for your actions. End of story.

October 4, 2012 at 4:44 pm
(21) Tom says:

It takes a country to change things. I’ve been working now since 1989! I’m only making 11.00 an hour as a manager. My experience hasn’t made any difference. I can’t fix my car and pay my rent. Our wages should reflect our costs of living and we should be making more so we can rise above just paying bills. All of us who work deserve this. We must come together as a community to change things. We cannot rely on a government to make choices for us. We have nothing to do with what they do. They have there own adjendase. we are suffering under there system. We need to take action for our own to rise above!

October 15, 2012 at 1:07 pm
(22) theo says:

Its a shame everything goes up and you need two jobs to make ends meet tell our government work minimum wage and have child support taking out of there checks buy food and rent I work as a nurse assistant I am barely making some how they fix where I can not get time and a half so I am getting paid $7.25×54 hours -$156 that’s taxes and child support taking out = NT enough and I am also a veteran see how I get treated

November 7, 2012 at 12:25 pm
(23) Momof6 says:

I hv been a stay at home mom for over 10 years..Recently divorced and going back to work..making minimum wage..NOBODY can make it on those pennies! If you don’t hv kids and are not divorced than shut up! You hv no idea what your talking about! I was forced by my ex to stay home..not saying it wasn’t great to be there for my kids but now after this long the work force is very foreign to me. I hv certification but those jobs in healthcare are no longer hiring. so therefore I am stuck doing something is that I don’t really want to do but have to do just to keep my family afloat.

November 15, 2012 at 11:05 am
(24) Matt says:

Response to comment #14 Cathy says:
Your basic economy lesson is a bunch of bull. When is enough profit off the backs of your employees enough. Big box retailers and wall street bankers are fleecing this country for every nickle and dime they have. It’s called greed. 300-500% profit margins on consumer goods is just hideous. Manipulating financial markets purely for profit is wrong. They can all afford to increase the wages of their employee’s, their CEO’s just don’t want to give up any of their $100M salaries to do so. No man or woman is worth a $100M a year salary. Capitalism is right, but 2% of the population hording the wealth is not. It’s ridiculousness for you to spew economic nonsense in opposition of an increase in the federal minimum wage when there are corporate managers making 100 X’s more than the people they employ. How about corporate america quits selling it’s people and country out in the name of shareholder profit, it’s just an excuse to keep up the greedy hording of wealth in this country. We should have let the economy crash in 2008. Things would have been a lot tougher on all, but we most certainly would have washed some things out, and tipped the scale on the distribution of wealth in this country.

November 15, 2012 at 10:32 pm
(25) R says:

I do not understand how the increase in minimum wages hurt us globally??? if inflation persist and minimum wages stay at the same flat rate what is to become of the jobs paying minimum wages only?? do they only hire our children?? and what jobs do the adults work? if you are an adult and no good education then you are stuck without options and no way to survive on minimum wage. Minimum wage would cause people to take on multiple jobs thus taking away from others within your community and cause failur in job availability for others in return creating economic strain within your community in return end result = poverty, please enlighten me without the sarcasm.

November 17, 2012 at 4:56 pm
(26) Tess says:

I believe that those in office that set all the rules and regs for wages should be made to live by them. If it is exopected for the American people to live on such poor wages then congress ect should be made to do the same. If our leaders want to run this country and have standards for the American people then they them selves should live by them as well. We need an over haul.

December 2, 2012 at 12:26 pm
(27) amanda says:

The only people saying minimum wage should not be raised are the people that make more than 7.25 an hour. I’ve been with my Job since they opened 9 months ago….still haven’t even gotten a six month raise when people who do less work then me make 8.75 an hour. Most of the companies can very well afford to pay their employees more but they don’t want to because the owners will make that much less. But when there are multi-billion dollar companies like mcdonalds burger king Walmart etc. that refuse their workers an increase is absurd.

December 5, 2012 at 10:23 pm
(28) John says:

You people just don’t get it…

Companies DO NOT exist to provide a paycheck and benefits for employees. They are in business to make money. There are components to making that business work; labor is one of the largest of those components. It’s no different than the inventory, the cost of the building, or the utilities; labor is a resource… period. If a company sells things, it needs people to unload trucks and stock shelves (what it really needs is inventory moved out of the truck and onto the shelves). Whether it’s a forklift or a half-dozen people, the company expects a certain expense to have that result. It’s a cost of doing business.

Try and look at it from that perspective. Labor is merely a resource. What the employee does with that money and whether it is enough for them to live on or not is NOT the company’s concern. It’s business, it’s not personal. I’m going to say this again because I know people out there still don’t get it:

December 12, 2012 at 9:50 pm
(29) jason says:

its great the last time we had a increase
the co. i work at increased all there prices to offset the cost of the increase making them more and costing consumers more in the end.

January 5, 2013 at 9:13 am
(30) mjb says:

it is so hard to land a job now adays that wheather or not the minimum wage being increased a paultry .20 makes a difference. As a printing professional and a victim of the economy 3 years ago I have spent most of that time earning an Associates degree in graphic design. It has been soul crushing and derpressing looking for work that the school grooms you to do and the premium jobs require 3-7 years experience and a bachelors degree. At my age I am competeing with 20 and 30 somethings and the market is flooded. For every minimum wage job there are 50 people standing in line for it. Its not really about wages at this point….its about skill sets and what you can bring to the table as well as competition from others vying for the same position. Its depressing out there but all you can do is forge on.

January 8, 2013 at 8:12 am
(31) cdl says:

yes rich people provide jobs low paying jobs they get more money on the backs of low paid hard working workers just because you dont have a college degree you should still get a decent living wage, it is still hard honest work.

January 14, 2013 at 9:55 am
(32) Mia says:

You should all be grateful that it has increased; here in London, some are payed the minimum. •Aged 21 or over: £6.19 per hour •Aged 18-20: £4.98 per hour •Aged 16-17: £3.68 per hour

February 13, 2013 at 2:23 pm
(33) Ronnie says:

I live in Connecticut and I don’t know how anyone could survive here on minimum wage. In this area you’d be below the poverty line and in need of public assistance if that was your only source of income. So perhaps “Eric” above lives in an area like mine, where only kids who live at home with their parents make minimum wage or adults who share an apartment with several other people. This would also be true in the “Tri-State Area” surrounding New York City. The minimum wage is not really adjusted that much to compensate for the cost of living in a specific area. If that were the case minimum wage would have to be at least twice what it is now for someone to survive on it in New York city.