1. Careers

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Alison Doyle

What To Do When Unemployment Runs Out

By July 29, 2012

What can you do if your unemployment checks have run out, are about to run out, or, if you can't get by on unemployment benefits, which typically aren't enough to live on, even in states with generous unemployment compensation plans?

In addition to unemployment compensation, there are a variety of other resources available for individuals collecting unemployment, as well as for those who are out of unemployment benefits, and for their families.

Here's information on where to get help when your unemployment checks run out, including federal and state government assistance, local organizations which may be able to help, and where to find job search assistance.

Related:  Unemployment Extension | Unemployment Stories | Unemployment Benefits 2012

Photo Copyright webking

Comments
March 29, 2010 at 10:35 pm
(1) Jennifer says:

I dont see the list of info?

June 10, 2010 at 12:00 am
(2) lynne says:

getting help from the state of California is JOKE!!! all you can get is 296.00 a month! you cant even rent a room for that much!! How are people suppose to make it on that if they have exhausted all unemployment and no job? Its not possible, but who cares!!? No one!!

June 28, 2010 at 11:51 pm
(3) Tammy says:

Unfortunately unless you are of Latio descent and speak Spanish, you do not have a chance at a job. I am seeing this first hand. If you have any formal education, you are also eliminated. Most employers are asking (let me rephrase that)… REQUIRING bilingual/Spanish speaking individuals. You know what I am speaking of…. when you call your bank or local phone carrier, YOU have to press 1 for ENGLISH. Just look around when you go out next time.. who do you see working? This has become a sad, sickening reality.

July 3, 2010 at 4:35 pm
(4) Ginger says:

Where can you even get $296.00 Lynne… Please tell me.. My unemployment stopped and now i cant even get a dollar and not sure how to go about it. PLease help!

September 16, 2011 at 10:58 am
(5) saved by the grace of god says:

PLEASE JUST TRUST GOD AND CONTINUE TO PRAY AND GOD WILL MAKE AWAY SOME HOW. I KEEP TELLING PEOPLE THAT MONEY IS NOT A SOURCE GOD IS OUR RESOURCE GET A RELATIONSHIP GOD AND HE SAID IN THE BIBLE I WILL SUPPLY YOUR EVERY NEED BUT U HAVE TO HAVE FAITH AND BELIEVE DONT GET DISCOURAGE JUST KEEP THE FAITH READ YOUR WORD EVEYDAY FINF U A CHURCH BE A FAITH FUL MEMEBER IM TELLING YOU FROM MY EXPRENCE WITH GOD THAT HE HAS BLESSED ME WITH A JOB PAYING ME GOD MONEY HOLD ON DONT LET GOD OF GOD MIRACLE HANDS

November 24, 2010 at 9:13 am
(6) Jodi says:

My step dad is 61 years of age and in no shape able to retire. He already had a second extension and now that the extension this month, November 2010, was turned down, he and my mom don’t have enough money to pay their bills! No one will hire a 61 year old man! I just received a phone call from my mom and told me they are turning off both cell phones and their cable. Why won’t this extension be approved???? But, they keep tossing around the idea of cutting taxes for the rich!!! Twisted minds!!!! Where does the government think the unemployed will get a job? The economy is in shambles!! Companies are closing left and right! Bottom line, we need jobs!!!!!!! So frustrated!!!!!

September 25, 2011 at 4:41 am
(7) will6659 says:

Hi Jodi, I agree, What does the government think we should do without income, or enough jobs to go to anyone who wants much less needs one. I am thinking of robbing a bank and a few stores so I can be caught and put in prision for a place to stay and meals until the government is replaced or times get better. Good luck to you and God bless.

December 14, 2010 at 1:20 pm
(8) Rick in Columbus, Ohio says:

Yup ! Jodi … I can see exactly where your frustrations lie. I’m 53 with a hard winter setting inand I’ afraid that we’re just seeing the beginning of it.
I just got cut off from un employment after my first round of it bringing in about 160 per week. One week before the end of my first round of un-emp. they cut it off just as temps are getting down to zero and lower. Me, being single am not eligable for squat from the gov., the state or any body else. Fortunately I am gettin enough in food assistance to eat but the end of everything else is comming fast. Today being the 14th of December means that I’ve got about 2 weeks left in my apt. untill I get thrown out on my duff and wont know if I can gwt assistance for heat till the third of next month. If all else fails … I suppose me and the dog will pray for a short warm spell so we can thumb to Florida. I sure cant put the gas in the truck but I suppose the 700 or 800 that I can get out of it should get me some sort of a start down there ???
As far as those Rich horses asses that are holding us hostage so they can get their multi millions / billions in tax breaks. I wish them a very merry Christmas and hope that some day their lives go down the crapper … Buy then I certainly won’t give a squat about them … and caring less the deeper I sink. I’m now to the point that I’d love to see them go down and feel the pain ! … Sorry lord !

October 25, 2011 at 1:38 pm
(9) liz says:

I no it is very hard out here i’ve been trying to get a job put app. online n every time i do its ask for your credit scores n no my credit is jack up but what that got to do me trying to work and make a living for myself i have to have a roof over my n food to eat but like someone said we no who is getting the jobs all i want to do is work n pay my own way in life i no GOD will make away some how thats why i keep praying n praying that some day GOD will make it happen for me so if u believe in God n have faith GOD will be there for you just keep on praying and one day u will see it GOD BLESS U and good luck to all

November 27, 2011 at 6:24 pm
(10) Widow2005 says:

I am a widow 55 years alone with no other financial means. My unemployment is done the middle of December. I was laid off Oct 2010 and have diligently turned in five job searches or application information each week for unemployment. I did not ask to get laid off and I cannot get hired. I know age doesn’t help and if checking credit ratings mine went out the door when my husband died. So what do I do come January when my rent is due? It’s just me and all the other assistance bull crap I guarantee you I will not qualify’. Get this, when my one year came around UC automatically kicked in to re qualify me, came back and said I was ineligible due to no earned income for the past year. LMAO Those of us that deserve to be taken care of are the ones getting the shaft. We are the ones who have worked all our lives and never went to the government for help. Now the system has been abused way tooo long and the government is trying to fix it and we are the ones suffering. What happened to the drug testing? Give us the money recouped from the drug users. UC is only causing those of us who follow the rules more undue stress. By the time I do get a job I’ll have been out of it too long, can’t keep up or too stressed to even think straight and because of depression I’m on psychotropic meds and it will be all I can do to function and think straight. I hate not having a job and being able to support myself. I had to learn how the process worked for unemployment for each Tier. I couldn’t keep my budget straight. Just when I though I would be ok I would be shorted days or a week. (you don’t get that made up to you on the next Tier) I got caught short one too many times and learned the ropes. You would think there would be some kind of instruction manual we could read to at least understand the process but noooo it’s a secret and lets see how much we can F them up and stress them out.. Boy has this been one roller coaster ride!!!!!!!!!! .

December 17, 2011 at 1:04 pm
(11) Laura Franklklin says:

hello my name is Laura, I am a single mother of two children I live am barely living the only thing that I am surviving on is child support money and if it were not for foodstamps I would not be able to feed my children and myself, my unemployment ran out on October 3, 2011, and I have been struggling to make ends meet ever since. I have put in application after application and either jobs are not hiring or I am over qualified. I am running out of options and IDK what to do. I would like to know when the state or the government is going to do something about those of us who are not working and can not get a job we really need the help after all I am only 26 years old and have been working since I was 13 years old and now I can barely survive and the government does not want to help please explain to me what is the deal and when are we gonna get the help that we deserve after all I have only been out of work for 2 years now and life is really starting to get worse what do my children have to look forward to????? where is the help we need????

July 29, 2012 at 6:38 pm
(12) Von says:

Dear Tammy, avid Racist and commenter number 3

I don’t know what sector you are applying for work but what you are saying is incredibly racist and can apply to all other jobs. I have been looking for work for 2 1/2 yrs, and have a masters degree in Biology. I am also Latina and Speak fluent spanish. So please explain to me how I havent been able to get a job if I fit the description of people you say are filling all the jobs. Please get over yourself, realize that this job market sucks period and get a life.