From the article: What to Do When Unemployment Runs Out
What to do when unemployment runs out? Where you can you get help when you're out of unemployment benefits? How can you job search with limited resources? Here's advice on what to do when you're out of unemployment, plus share your advice to help job seekers who are running out of benefits and are in need of assistance. Share Your Advice
Don't wait til the last minute...
- Before you get your last check, sit down and decide which amenities you can live without for now. Don't wait til you're owing your cable bill for last month and can't pay it this month either. Go ahead and cut off the cable now. You can watch so many shows online now. Or at least call and see if you can be put on a special promotional package from your cable company. If you take care of down-sizing now, that takes some stress off you, and decreasing stress is one of the best things you can do for yourself right now.
Agencies and Organizations
- Check with your local One-Stop -- this is a link for locating one in your area: http://www.servicelocator.org/ --they often have information on many local resources such as community organization that may be able to offer support with utility bills, food costs, etc. One-Stops might also have information on temporary positions (in addition to permanent or long-term job listings and possible assistance with upgrading skills/obtaining training to increase the job seeker's marketability). Look for a job club in your area and join one that is a good fit for your needs. Job clubs are usually free to join and can be great for creating a supportive environment, mutual support and accountability (you're much more likely to make that networking call if you know you'll be asked how it went next week!), as well as leads fellow job seekers learn about. Shahrzad Arasteh Career Consulting Services
- Apply for short-term gigs via temp agencies. Apply for job retraining assistance; from what I've read this 'may' even help you qualify for additional unemployment benefits. If a church member, speak to your pastor/minister about your situation/seek assistance. If you have the capacity in your home, consider 'home-sharing/renting of space' to defray rental/mortgage costs.
- —Guest Jacqui Poindexter
Ask for Help
- Don't be afraid to ask for help from friends and family - even if it's painful to ask, it can get you through tough times.
- —Guest Sandara Miller
- I have worked all my life and never drew unemployment until this last year. My company went out of business with no notice to us. I am 57 years old and have been looking for jobs every week. Now I have no gas, no food, and hope is fading fast. I hate to ask for any help so it was hard for me to go apply for food stamps. I also have battled cancer and won the first time with the help of medical marijuana. SC needs to legalize it and there would be plenty of jobs and no need for anyone to be suffering moneywise or health wise !!! Wake up America !!!
- —Guest Babs
Over 55, Female and No College Degree
- After working my entire life, being promoted to high level positions in every job I held I now find I can't get a simple administrative job. Six months UI doesn't give anyone time to find a job in today's market. I'm hard working and want to work but I can't even get an answer to applications.
- —Guest TS
Obama You Feeling This?
- Reading through these post draws tears in my eyes. We need to stop these employers from hiring foreigners that are taking all our jobs: petitions.whitehouse (dot) gov/petition/americans-need-our-jobs-stop-employers-hire-immigrants/srKzT2M6 Its just a start but, am only one voice but together can we save America. Don't cha think? DOES ANYONE SPEAK ENGLISH ANYMORE?
- —Guest another day
What Do They Mean by Overqualified?
- This entire thing about not offering a job because you are overqualified and might leave. Give me a break. If I could get a better job I certainly would not be applying for this one. And there are no "better jobs." Do these HR people really have a clue to how bad it is out there. Yet, the stock market and Wall Street roars. I have come to the conclusion that firms that want to lay off (most of them to make even more profit) should be required to pay 90 day severance and health and one week per year after that (so they avoid going after older workers and what were loyal workers). Companies that hire the unemployed should get a tax credit and an even higher one for hiring the long term unemployed. And by the way, that computer system a company has. A smart person could learn it in three days but the recruiters for some reason think its impossible to learn anything simple today. We need to take this country back from greedy plutocrats and corporations. If not, we all are doomed.
My Heart is Breaking for Everyone
- Oh My Goodness! My heart hurts for everyone that has posted. For those of you that are contemplating suicide, please don't. I am sending prayers to Everyone!! I too am in the same boat. My boyfriend just passed away 3 weeks ago and I spent the last 3 weeks crying and grieving, not realizing that my unemployment was running out. I just figured it out today. I will get through this!! Prayers to All of You! You WILL make it Through This!!
- —Guest Just Me :)
- I am in the same boat myself. I was unemployed for seven months and collected unemployment benefits until landing a job that only lasted for three months. I was let go on December 2013 and unable to collect again. I consider myself discriminated or disabled because no one wants to hire a person at "50". I'm tired of Congress's excuses while lining their own pockets at everyone else's expense. From what I heard, if you don't get health insurance a fine of 1 percent will be incurred. No income equals zero in my book so find me at the nearest homeless shelter. Lets overthrow the government and start from scratch. I am done praying....
- —Guest Bill
No One Calls
- It sucks. I've worked all my life and now after working 13 yrs my boss didn't like me and he fired me. My unemployment benefits ran out. I have no income. I will be homeless and starved if something doesn't come up. No one hires me. What is wrong? I apply every single day and not one call -- nothing. I'll do any job. I just want to work.
- —Guest Evelyn
- I feel for every one that is unemployed. I am in the same boat. Congress is useless. They can help other countries out but not Americans. I am not voting for D or R. I know that it will not make a difference but it will to me. Screw them all.
- —Guest larry
In the Same Boat
- I wish I had an answer, because then I would be able to help myself. Just saw the news. No unemployment extensions NOR solutions to our problems. I lost my job, was collecting & job hunting while my fiance worked. He lost his job...we were both collecting while looking for jobs. Tried starting our own business, but can't get any help to get that going. Unemployment stopped, we tried to get help but they screwed up our paper work so we have to start all over but they did give us food stamps. Being evicted soon so I guess Ill cook on my engine....oh wait, car will be repossessed soon too. I guess Ill invest my last couple dollars in a tent and pitch it somewhere. This COUNTRY is falling apart. I wonder how these senators would feel if their whole world fell apart at the seams like all of us? I have a MEd and can't even find a babysitting job. Don't know what to do anymore. Praying isn't cutting it. We are down to the wire about to be homeless. Never predicted this in my life.
- —Guest Fed Up
Off the Merry Go Round
- I received UI for 26 weeks money I paid into the system somewhere. After 40 years of vote things getting worse , jobs moved overseas and such. I'm not voting for one more D or R. plan to give anybody else a chance. If they do no better, their pay would be less. As for Congress, vote "None of the Above ". Congress need to be fired for dereliction of duty. We are fools to keep voting the same way and falling for tricks and traps. Look at meds -- after 3 years you see on TV they harm or kill, call this law firm and file a claim. The ones who sell bad meds settle the claims for millions but have made billions so no harm to them. We are lab rats and the more $$ all these greedy corporations make, the worst it gets. We the people need to stop falling for this crap. It hurts to be broke and homeless but think about what people did the 1800s to survive. Trade fruits and veggies grown in cans or pots, buy or trade from your neighbors. Time show the W.H they suck!
- —Guest Annie
No Jobs, No Food, No Help
- No wonder why half the country is screwed up on drugs! This is why: no jobs, no food, no help. So much for freedom. Glad technology is getting better -- it's leaving us all jobless.
- —Guest Robot
1-15 of 256Next