What Are We Supposed to Do?
- My story is not so different from all the others here. I worked almost 10 years for a local company, only to have the doors shut because the business could no longer pay its monthly bills. I went to work for a bank, to have my job vanish with the economic disaster that this country is facing, even though our politicians would have us believe that "everything is getting better." since then, my unemployment has run out. I am not allowed to drive my car, even though it runs, because a non smog related problem, makes the check engine light go on, so the car won't pass. I was renting a place on my friends floor, working day to day jobs just to maintain that. Now my friend's landlord just got foreclosed on, and so I have to find somewhere else. I have applied for countless jobs, with no return calls, everything I worked for in my life is gone, so what now? People who don't understand will just tell you to get a job, guess what, I WOULD LOVE ONE! What are people supposed to do?
- —Guest jc
Over 40? You're Out of Luck
- I agree with everyone. The economy is bad and if you are over 40 and run out of benefits, you're screwed. If you don't have children and are under 65, you don't qualify for alot of the available help. And going back to school, c'mon guys...these employers are going to hire us? NO..they are going to hire recent college grads in their early 20's who can and will work for 10 bucks an hour. I don't know about you but I live in NJ and the rents here are super expensive..like over 1100 per month for 1 bedroom in a marginal neighborhood. With groceries and everything else, my GOD. I just lost my car and getting around here is impossible on the bus system. I have been looking for any job at all from housecleaning, babysitting, Wal-Mart, whatever and nobody returns my e-mails. Those online applications are a joke, the great abyss. I'm so frustrated. I have 6 cats and don't know what I'm going to do when my UB runs out. I am very good looking and young 47, but I am not 20 and don't look 20.
- —Guest Jane
Lost Everything, No Hope
- I lost my job of 10 years on 06-09-2009, but it was self inflicted because of a stupid mistake I made. To this date, 08-10-2012 I have lost everything to my name except for my dog. She is the only thing I have left besides some clothes and other items. I lost my 401k, my house, my wife (thank God for that), my vehicle, friends, (who I thought were friends but really were not). My unemployment is gone, and I filed bankruptcy in 12/2009. During the course of 2010 I was involved in 2 major car accidents that nearly killed me but instead somehow because of my extreme BAD luck, I of all people somehow survived them. So here at 43 years old, living in my Dad and step mom's basement with my dog I carry on day to day with no sign of hope. No employer will touch me because of my age and my financial background. Employers have shipped 80% of U.S. jobs to China and India mainly. Employers are free to commit crimes everyday, age discrimination for one. What really is there left to do?
- —Guest BlackCloud
out of unemployment
- I'm a 54 yr. Old female. I've worked all my life until April 2010. I've been drawing employment since then. I'm not a professional person, nor am I able to like I did at 45. I live in the state of Ga.,applied for minimum wage jobs to no avail. I'm totally out of options. Someone please, give me some ideas!
- —Guest scared
Do They Want Us to Roll Over and Die?
- It almost feels like the government wants us baby boomers to lose hope and die. How can one survive when you need money to survive and can't find a job to get it? Look what FDR did back with Work programs like the WPA and CCC's and the New Deal. Why isn't our government coming up with helps like that? I once read that this country has been pretty much used up... the rich are going to get out and leave it to us "peasants" to survive like rats. I once read that it's terrible to be born into poverty, but TORTURE to have been living a decent live only to become poor. Torture it is.
- —Guest Katydid
Shut Up and Take Responsibility
- Oh boo hoo I spent my whole life wasting my vote, and being a good little sheep. And now my corporate masters are sticking it to me hard. Not only have I screwed myself, but I've also screwed future generations. And how dare these young people take all the minimum wage, unskilled jobs. I'm an older adult with no skills, education, or place in the modern workforce. I've literally had all the time in the world to prepare to be able to take care of myself. Young people should be denied the right to work. I have taken advantage of all these years. I need that job that I can't perform properly, so I can continue to tread water. In a hole I dug myself and am now drowning in. In all my years it never occured to me that eventually it will rain. Why do I have to live this terrible life I created for myself? Who's suppose to be responsible for me, my choices and their consequences?
- —Guest Guest
Unemployment is a New Start
- All you people are killing me..."you're too old", you don't want this type of job or this type of job, you blame the politicans, employers and everyone around you....GROW THE HELL UP. You are your worse enemy! I lost my job 1 year and 6 months ago. I kept looking in the same field (Defense Employee Contractor --they are not hiring) now what -I am homeless, unemployment has stopped. I am taking 3 jobs if I have to and I am not going to blame age, gender, politicans, or employers. I will get back on my feet as GOD is my witness." Remember "GONE WITH THE WIND" see the movie...egg heads by the way I am Black/White/and Hispanic with a little everything but I am a natural born AMERICAN --get off your ..Peeps!! Peace
Jobs Do Not Exist
- I find the biggest joke that there are just not any jobs out there I can do. Considering my experience and education, I have transferable skills but even these jobs do not exist. Employers act like their jobs are gold and you better not scratch your nose or blink or you lose the chance to earn that minimum wage. Everyone in the world seems angry these days or just hostile. What a sad world.
- —Guest Guest
March on Washington
- Lisa is right. We need to go to the White House. Let them know we are the people and we need help -- not the rich.
Guest DJ -A New Civil War
- I am willing to fight back with you. This country sucks!!
- —Guest NoHopeInOregon
4 years and Still No Job!
- Had a good job, excellent benefits and a condo. Today, I have nothing. Makes it really hard to believe in God. I am seriously depressed. I'm 49 and live in Oregon. As a single, childless woman--Oregon will not help me. Try getting through to the Governor and that worthless S#B doesn't care. Won't do a $$%$ thing to help the older jobless Oregonian. Had to go back to school and now have student loans. The only guarantee is that I'll have student loans to pay back but probably no job. I am depressed and discouraged. This state has NO free mental health for us and I have no insurance and no money to pay to get help. Thanks Obama and thanks Kitzbaher-You jerks!
- —Guest NoHopeInOregon
- This is very sad, honestly i see people that have jobs that don’t even deserve it. I'm 19 and amazed how the system is played out. We all are struggling but I am not going to give up . To me, I look at it like a war and Im not going to let them win. They want us to give up but you've got to remember where you came from because from all that, that’s how strong you are. I'm not giving up. I have big plans that will benefit the people that deserve it. It's a cruel world but I will do my best to help us all to succeed. That’s a promise from my heart and it stays solid.
- —Guest star
Try Office Temping
- I'm about to lose my benefits and am in a bit of a panic. I'm lucky to have my husband and keep praying for something. Meanwhile, I'm looking at office temp work through Kelly Services. It seems like they have a number of assignments. It's really hard being 50 in this job market. Many jobs aren't being advertised and it seems that many younger people are in the "On the Move" sections of our newspapers.
- —Guest Murphy Brown
Nowhere to get Help
- There is nowhere to get help these days if you're out of work. Well, so be it and that's how the Goverment thinks. If you speak only Englis, businesses won't give you a look. If you're born in the USA and speak only english, you wont get a job.
Government Washes Its Hands...
- Government Washes Its Hands of the Long Term Unemployed. They cut you off from unemployment benefits, think you're not trying or are lazy, they are wrong! It's discouraging/depressing/scary to look for work everyday, not finding anything, or you don't get considered because you are too old (in their opinion). Most American's live paycheck to paycheck, wages are low, bills/housing are high-no savings! Others who haven't lost their jobs due to layoffs/downsizing/budget cuts don't have a clue until it happens to them. Maybe they won't be so judgmental once it does. Those who got to keep their jobs actually COMPLAINED if they were asked to make concessions to keep their jobs!! I wish I had been given the opportunity and not just cut!! Evening news said 1 in 5 teachers in my area are being cut, and the remaining 4 will be given 2 pay raises!! How does THAT make sense? Our kids lose again. Just like me, those teachers DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG. They showed up to work everyday, worked hard, and still got cut-it's not right!
- —Guest Vivian