Lost, Broken Dreams and Empty Promises!
- I'm in my mid-twenties. I have been working in low-pay jobs since my late teens trying to pay for my studies because I am not wealthy. I never asked a dime from the government. I studied in a good field at the wrong time. Working on the weekends and after school prevented me from attending many social gatherings. I never build a social life. I listened to my brain and not to the people around me. The construction industry has collapsed. Now, I'm stuck with a good degree in a bad economy. It's useless. The government continues to push the youth in the various construction fields. All companies ask for experience yet I have none. Looking for almost 2 years and after countless interviews, nobody wants to give me a chance. I recently lost my low-salary paying job. I was treated like disposable waste when I was laid off. Everywhere I go, nobody is hiring. I've given up on searching. I am now tutoring and rebuilding a life.
- —Guest Lost Guest!
Hopeless in Canada
- I lost my job over 2 years ago, my unemployment ran out over a year ago. Been looking and trying to find any type of work with out luck. It's depressing to even try! There is no work here in Saint John, NB. We have the highest unemployment rate in Canada. My wife is the only one working. We are falling deeper in dept every day. I've been to the local EI office with no help. They have a job so To Bad, So Sad for me! I've given up!
- —Guest larbo11
- I once had a high profile job in the public eye, one that vanished in a second when my boss decided to hire someone cheaper and younger. The moment he said "We aren't renewing your contract. Goodbye". I knew the truth. I had it all wrong. I had been working long and hard for someone else - instead of myself! I was over 40 and had to reinvent myself. So, I researched other entrepreneurs and found something I believed I could offer. It hasn't been easy, but I'm freelancing my way into building my own business. You can do it too. Just google other success stories and copy how someone else did it, with your own personal twist. But work for you! Stop sending in applications and start offering a service. Develop your own clients and no employer needs to ever hire you (or fire you) again. If I did it, you can too.
NAFTA and Chinese Imports
- Well we are all in the same boat and most of the blame falls squarely on NAFTA and Chinese imports. Close the imports and NAFTA and this will get America back to work. Unfortunately all the rich have politicians in their pockets and many of their handlers do not even live in the United States.
- —Guest Alan
- None of you are too old or not old enough either. If a business needed a worker, one would be hired. That new person has been screened for the correct skills required. You all have skills, list them and match yourself to the jobs that exist in your community. Make the Resume, a short cover letter, a third page of current qualifications, a forth page statement “Employee Application will be completed during the time of an interview.” If you can, go to any/all companies that can use your skills. They most likely will hand you a application at the front desk. Put your name and address on the top lines and paper-clip it to the other four pages. Pass it back to the secretary, thank them for the time, and mention you will be waiting for them to contact you shortly. Don’t hang around. You still have 10 – 15 more employers to stop at for the day. Every day. You will get results… especially when you go back week after week to replay the process.
- —Guest Rod
- This is ridiculous! Our country ignores the truth about what is going on and all of the people that are suffering. WHY??? Can't anyone pay attention to these major problems? I know that all these people just want a CHANCE for life. I am with you on the job search. For 5 years I have been searching for a solid job with insurance, I have past experience, but it's not important without recent experience. Now my health is fading and I am 46 with college loans pending, no job, and no insurance. I have children that will suffer, and this is what is REALLY SAD!! Hey USA, do we care about our children?? Not even close, IT'S THE CHILDREN THAT ARE TAKING THE HIT!!!!!
- —Guest swtexas
I Am One of You
- I was working in one of the big hospitals here in OC California until I was let go. No bad feelings with the situation as I already have some plans in my mind in case it will happen...which to go back to school and complete a graduate program with the idea that I will have better leverage when I add the word "master's" in my resume. So 6 months had passed on a very active search for a job daily but all I got was a $70,000 worth of debt and just few weeks ago I received a letter that I have to start paying my student loan so as not to be in default. Where in the hands of God will I be able to get that money? For sure I am not the first in line. It just sucks and very depressing the moment you open your eye in the morning there's nothing worth while to do reward you a paycheck in return. Sometimes I just feel like hiding to get away from the tough realities of life. Although, I am also a firm believer of when someone hits his rock bottom the only way is up.
- —Guest Pocholo
It's Hopeless After 50
- I am 50. I have given up trying to find a job. I am tired of being discriminated against. My IQ is 130, I am a computer programmer, I can hard code for god sake. Been looking for a job for a year and a half. I am up to date on my computer skills better than anyone can be. I am going to try to start my own business. If that doesn't work, then I guess it's time to buy a tent and live in the forest with all the other 50 and 60 year olds that our country has thrown away.
- —Guest Shelia
Lost and Helpless
- This by far has to be the worst year of my life. Little or no work and now none. About to lose our apartment. I pray to The Lord and hope for the best. God bless you and pray for us to overcome this time in humanity.
- —Guest Manny
Careful What You Sell on eBay
- When unemployed I downsized & opened up an ebay account to hold an online garage sale. Never even reached 50% of my selling limit before they froze my account for unknown reasons. All I sold was 5 crystal vases, an art print, & a printer cartridge. Spoke to "Hassan" in a 3rd world country, who demanded I fax my drivers license, SSN, bank records, etc to Salt Lake City Utah and then maybe they would reopen my account. They shut down my auctions. No more listing allowed. My buyers of the vases left + feedback. No complaints. They froze my money for 21 days and counting. No money now for Christmas.
- —Guest buffalogal
What to do Now?
- I have no response. I also lost my unemployment I have a 3 yr. old son and can't find a job myself. I don't know how they expect us to survive. I cry all the time because I have nothing anymore. I just lost my mom and my grandma and they were the only ones who helped us out. I am so scared.
Is There Hope?
- I am a senior also and feel that there are not enough jobs and I am trying to create work for myself. We do need some support. We are human you know?
- —Guest lulu
- Focus on what can be done; such as real live support groups, local Salvation Army type orgs., Govt./private food programs, local churches and social service agencies. Please know, I too am an unemployed statistic and very scared of my employment possibilities. I went from $67k to $23.4k. I have to come to grips with reality that the probability of matching or anything close to my past income is not likely. Depressed, useless, paralyzed, uncertain, defeat, ashamed, worthless, failure; these emotions consume my entire being. So, you see, I empathise. No matter what, I have no choice but to keep doing what is necessary to survive. Faith, determination,plain ol' elbow grease (lotto tickets-lol ). Good luck and GOD Bless!
- —Guest usastrong
no money for living
- I am 53 and they see me as an old man. I can't find job and my health is worse. I have no money for living. I just want to die.
- —Guest serguei
Desperate for a Job
- I have been living in Australia for three years. I was living in Lebanon before that. I was very successful with a great job. I have been applying for jobs in Australia for 6 months. My greatest problem in this country is that although I have lots of high university degrees, no one is inviting me for an interview!!!!!!!!! So weird!!!! I am beginning to get depressed and thinking about divorcing my husband and go back to my country. It seems that the Australians hate intruders who are more educated than they are. Had any one had such a bad experience?
- —Guest hopless