From the article: Why You Didn't Get The Job
About.com readers share the reasons nobody will hire you. Read reasons contributed by site visitors and add yours to the list. Share Your Reason
Drew attention to a mistake
- I sent an e-mail inquiring about a job posting. Someone immediately got back to me to arrange a meeting. But then I realized the cover letter I sent had the wrong name in the salutation (I took an old cover letter and made a few changes, but left the hiring manager's name). I sent another cover letter with the correction, but since I drew attention to my mistake, they never got back to me. I even followed up a week later and they ignored me.
- —Guest Allison
- I had an offer letter. Didn't get the job because of credit. In the mortgage business and wonder why my credit went south. Should be illlegal.
- —Guest Sue
I answered my phone
- I forgot to turn off my phone during the interview and answer the phone before I realized what I was doing. I didn't get the job.
- —Guest Pete
What Do You Know About This Company?
- If you don't know anything when I ask you, you're not going to get hired.
- —Guest Marina Allipert
You're a Slob
- If you show up to apply for a job at my restaurant dressed like a slob, you're not going to get hired. At the least, it's important to be neatly dressed and clean and tidy.
- —Guest John Romano
Typo in Email Address
- I don't know how many jobs I lost because of it, I had a mistake in the email address on my resume. So, companies couldn't get in touch with me even if they wanted to.
- —Guest Diana