If you've gotten a job scam email, please include as much information as you can -- such as the name of the company or contact name and the date of the email. Copy and paste a sentence or two from the email, so that users who search for key phrases will find your posting.
Here are the top 10 internet job search scam warning signs.
Disclaimer: These reviews were submitted by About.com users and were not written by the About.com Guide to Job Search. Please remember that reviews are the opinion of the reviewer only, if you have a different opinion please feel free to submit your own review. Share Scam Information
Quality Consulting Inc Scam
- From Miss G. Devita quality.consult.job@gmail. "Good morning, I am contacting you in regards with a job opportunity within the Company I represent. Quality Consulting Inc is pleased to offer you the position of FSA for our organization. We are excited about the potential that you may bring to our company. The primary role of this position is to provide fast and high quality services to the Company and its customers but it's not related to sales. The monthly compensation range for the position is $2,300 to $4,500 and will depend upon your personal qualification and desire to learn and earn.No special knowledge is required since we provide training and one month probationary period for our applicants. Should you need more information, contact me via e-mail with your phone number and best time to call so our managers could contact you as soon as possible...."
- —Guest sammy
Receptionist/Office Assistant MegaSoft
- Received text from Johnny Cordero to set up an IMYahoo for interview. Asked questions about location, job description and wage. $23hrly and $19hrly during training. Also said he got my resume from the AZ Jobconnection. I googled name of the company and his name and found your site with the same info. I am not going to respond now. Thanks
- —Guest Kelli
Tammy M Hill Office Assistant Scam
- "How are you doing today? Thanks for responding to my job posting, I flew out of the country on Friday so I have just received your message regarding the Office Assistant role. In addition to working in my office, I will need assistance with running of my errands. As an independent contractor with a focus in international business, majority of my clients are out of state and out of the country. I need help with my errands because I am constantly out of town. Then sends cashier checks! .."
- —Guest Shell
Receptionist - GT and HP Staffing
- I have received two different emails from two different people for the same thing. Both emails start off like this: "Hello, Thank you for expressing your interest in this positon. I am very interested to learn more about you. Can you please fill out our online application, and then we can schedule a meeting? You will need to enter your Name, Email, and ApplicantID to login to the website. Please use the following to enter the online application system..." When received the first was for GT staffing and the second for an HP staffing. When I pulled up both sites it was the same site with a different name. I think this is a big scam going around. A red flag popped up for me because the site looked familiar. Do not trust these emails.
- —Guest M. Alcorn
Key Account Manager Scam
- "We have an excellent opportunity for an apprentice applicant to join a rapidly expanding company. An at home Key Account Manager Position (Ref: 56375-503/7HR) is a great opportunity for stay at home parents or anyone who wants to work in the comfort of their own home. This is a genuine offer and not to be confused with scams! The successful candidate must have the ability to handle calls efficiently whilst maintaining the highest levels of customer service and being courteous. Applicants must have an excellent telephone manner, have a friendly approach, excellent communication skills and be computer literate. You must have the ability to type and talk at the same time to customers, as you will be taking customer details over the phone and inputting data onto company database. Requirements: computer with Internet access, valid email address, good typing skills. If you fit the above description and meet the requirements, please apply to this ad stating your location...."
- —Guest Katie V
World Head Hunter Agency Co Ltd
- Job Id 3118 opened: "How do you do! My name is Hua Feng. I am an officer of World Head Hunter Agency Co Ltd recruiting agency. Our head office is located in Hong Kong. One local company carrying on its business in the area of B2B has addressed to us. I have taken a close look at your resume on www.careerbuilder.com and I think that you meet the requirements and criteria set by the company. So, a few words about this company. For several years they have been trading electronic goods at Asian markets. In recent years Internet sales start to develop rapidly. To increase sales the company tries to expand market outlets. Now the company has set a goal of taking its place at the market of Internet Sales in the USA. While working at Asian markets did not represent a complex task for the company then to the end that they can work efficiently in the USA they need a deserving candidate knowing local specifics of business operations. This person must have experience of work in American companies..."
- —Guest brandon
- "If you have excellent administrative skills, working knowledge of Microsoft Office, a keen eye for detail, well-versed in the use of social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook, are organized, present yourself well and are a team player with the ability to work independently, are reliable and punctual and can understand and execute instructions are determined to work hard and succeed - we need you. Please email us for details: Bud@us-googleapps.com..."
- —Guest Katie V
JSM Consulting Scam
- "Hello *****I am emailing you in regards to your resume you posted online awhile back, I believe it was job center of Tennessee but it might have been Monster. I'm currently doing some recruiting for a couple of small businesses in Nashville and Memphis TN and based off of your resume I think you would be a great fit! The position currently available is for a Union benefits specialist, with an average starting wage around $50,000 a year. The position would be full time although I do work with a lot of small businesses so if that isn't fitting I may have another client for you that is hiring. I am in the office Wednesday-Friday so I was wondering if either Thursday Dec. 12th between 6-7pm or if Friday Dec. 13th between 5-6pm for a five minute phone interview would be the best time to contact you at **********." Hope to talk to you soon! JSM Consulting Michael Mell 8383 Greenway Blvd Suite 600 Middleton, WI 53562
- —Guest Katie V
Home Income is a Scam!!
- I ordered the system from Home Income, and I received nothing and the information keeps changing on the web page. I now have to put a block on my credit card!!
- —Guest Cristin
Princess Luxury Motor Yacht Job Scam
- They sent me maybe 2 dozen of these emails offering an unbelievable job not selling Princess Luxury Motor Yachts from my landlocked home in the middle of East Texas. They will guarantee $6k per month. What makes this particularly evil is that it comes dressed to look like a legit contact ad from careerbuilder.com. -Tempting pay plus commissions $85,000 - $95,000 per year "we guarantee $6,000 per month" -No traveling is necessary -No contact with our clients -No Sales. So what will I be doing for this fantastic pay? They never replied with an answer. One email said I wouldn't have to store any inventory or spare parts.
- —Guest rexdart
Smartwash Job Scam
- This is among my favorite job scams: "Work in Smartwash Equipment, Inc. REGIONAL MANAGER offer! For Job Seekers, attention! Hello, my name is Martin Peterson. I am administrator of Smartwash Equipment, Inc. Let me introduce our company. Smartwash Equipment, Inc. is a company that manufactures and sells automatic wash systems for cars, other transport vehicles and a variety of special equipment. For the safety in conducting our financial transactions, we use the command of Regional Managers in various states of America. Smartwash Equipment, Inc. again completes the team of Regional Manager. For this vacancy we need Employees, who conform to requirements of open positions. Requirements to the applicant for position of Regional Manager: - english speaking only - knowledge of Word, Excel and PC; - opportunity to plan time for work; - some free time during the day for communication and for working; - personal computer..."
- —Guest rexdart
- Email arrives with "we found your information on careerbuilder, product review/secret shopper. I immediately questioned it when they called. He invited me to check the website and their credentials. No bad ratings with bbb, scam sites etc. good looking website, operationally sound etc. First package arrives, email arrives with instructions on how to perform review and prepaid label to ship back to office in NY, second package is local US, same with the next few. Then one going to Russia threw me off. I went to the post office, counter person says " oh yeah we see these all the time, its normal" figured ok no big deal. Next package is to Russia and they emailed and called to make sure I got it. Immediately uncomfortable and tell them I'm done no more packages, sending this one back to sender. Next day 9 packages arrive. All have been returned to sender and reported to bbb. Again it looks legit online but obviously isn't.
- —Guest bummed and freaked out
- Asked me to go and evaluate a Walmart in my area , as well as a Money Gram. I was to keep $250, spend $50 at Wal mart, as a mystery shopper evaluating certain aspects of their customer service. $250 at money gram sending the remaining balance to a Jason Berrington in Portland Oregon. Won't say what the dead give away was, because they research these kinda sites. If you're here at this site researching, chances are, things are not adding up. As a veteran of both conflicts, Iraq and Afghanistan, go with your gut. You're not born stupid. You condition yourself to be. So I'm gonna have fun with this one. Been needing another adventure. So I'm gonna track this one back to the source. I'm thinking youtube video of his face when I hand him the letter and check, and forcibly ask, nicely of course, to come with me.
- —Guest Michael
Position available - id _ (W045MSUC91665
- Artemis Kinnaman 5:20 AM to me: "Greetings! I have found your curriculum vitae in CareerBuilder database and in my opinion you match the office which we have opened. This position is not difficult; we provide a monthly paid wage and social insurance. We are looking for those employees who are capable of supporting business relationship between clients who are situated in a different state. You don't need to possess any specific knowledge; our personnel will provide you with the position description and support you by phone. To get started, first, you'll need to open an account with a local bank in order to effect the transactions from our customers and, second, enter into an agreement. The first income will be paid to you in around 5 business days. If you are interested in this job opportunity, please reply to : email@example.com..."
- —Guest KooMcGoo
Galleri Goran Engstrom Art Dealers
- Just got an email from them. This is a total scam: "Good day, Let me introduce myself, I'm Albert Jameson, human resource manager of Galleri Goran Engstrom art dealers. We have announced an open vacancies of a Financial Forwarding Coordinator in Germany and would like to offer you to join our team. Our Team is like a family, we are a reputable art promoting enterprise established and located in the Sweden. We want to achieve a simplified, secure, shortcut and effective way to unite art lovers and fans in the country border and all over the Italy to implement their dreams through purchases of art pieces. This is a part-time position with a flexible schedule. You would spend on average 2-3 hours a day, Monday-Friday, working from the comfort of your home. NOTE: 24/5 Internet access is needed. The company covers all expenses-there is no need to invest your own money. We DO NOT require you to pay any start-up fees...."
- —Guest MtW