If you need a different excuse, here are even more work excuses you can use when you need to take time off from your job.
- Say that you woke up this morning feeling sick, achy body and head, or you have a cold, or that your stomach is not feeling well because you might have eaten something spoiled and you are using the bathroom very often.
- —Guest Tree
- I always say that I just need a day for myself. I'm married with 5 kids and about once a month I call my boss and let him know I need a day without work or family, a me day.. he understands. My wife has no idea, if she did she would call me asking me to do something for her.
- —Guest Shone
- "I won't be able to come into work today as my aunt from out of town is in the hospital and terminally ill and is predicted to only have a few hours left. All the family are with her now. Sorry that I have let you down."
- —Guest Anonymous
- I said my girl had trouble breathing so we went to the hospital. Because I had to watch my son, I couldnt go in to work. This worked well.
- —Guest xaron
Tell the Truth!
- Try telling the frigging truth! Do not lie to your boss he/she has probably heard your lame excuses before . Tell the truth because you're not smart enough to remember all your lies and any good employer will make notes in your file of days missed and why. I allow employees time off if they are honest with me. I want employees at work who want to be there if your heart is not into it or you need a day off to recharge then say so. Remember not to take advantage of your boss's good nature as we still have a business to run. You seldom forget the truth and it is the best policy. Do not make the mistake that your boss is a fool or will believe your bull. Do the math 18 workers X 30 years as boss X 266 work days per year. How many excuses do you think this boss has heard?
- —Guest PEAVED BOSS
- I actually came to this page looking for some practical help!?!? These excuses are absolutely ridiculous/borderline offensive. You all need to get a grip!
- —Guest Uk guest
Don't Want to Hear It
- A good excuse is that you are "having an issue in the bathroom". Many supervisors/bosses won't want to hear the details.
- —Guest Orchid
- I told my boss I caught a rash at work the day before my day off.
- —Guest Maria
Dog Got Hurt
- I was fighting with my boyfriend and didn't feel up to flipping some burgers. So I waited until I was already late to call and had to think of something fast. I said that my sister and I took my dog to the park and she let the leash go. A huge mastiff came over and attacked my poor little doggie and she was bleeding badly. It worked with one manager but they other gave me such an attitude. Who gets mad over a hurt puppy? Would work if your boss had a heart.
- —Guest tired of my job
- Say you couldn't go to work because some teenagers who live by you slashed your tires, then take a picture of a tire you don't need and show the pic to your boss. That should work for about 2 days.
- —Guest 9thgradegirl
- Say you have food poisoning. Who wants to have a vomiting employee at work?
- —Guest Anon
On the Move
- Could always use the classic "I'm helping my ______ move," or "Sorry I was house sitting and I missed your call." Include at least one "sorry" in your explanation. I've also used "My battery is dead, I'll be late today," so I could go to another job interview before work. haha. :) But be careful with that one... If you've got a brand new vehicle that probably won't work. I always say, keep it simple. You don't want to forget your own stories. The simple "I'm sick, can't make it in," works for me every time, but don't do it too often. And if plausible, be honest. You'd be surprised how much you can get away with.
- —Guest lemonkinks
- I won't be in to work because I am waiting for the Maytag repairman. He is coming to fix the washing machine so I can wash my uniform for work.
- —Guest ungrateful
- Have to go to church...legally they can't fire you over it.
- —Guest Ryan
- My mom( or dad, brother, etc) was in a car wreck. I used this one last night to go home early. I'm thinking about taking today off then when I go back, I'll tell them it wasn't too bad. She had whiplash, bruised ribs and a cracked collarbone.
- —Guest Casey