From the article: I Hate My Job!
Do you hate your job? Read about the jobs About.com readers hate and, if you hate your job, add your job to the list. Share Your Reason
- I take great pride in doing my best work. I do not take excessive criticism of my work well. Micromanaging is the major issue where I work. Other than that, dealing with snobs that like to order me about as if I were their personal slave. A boss that is more concerned about how she appears to her managers than in defending her coworkers. I would tell anyone, especially my nieces to never take a janitor/housekeeper position, especially there. I have been in it for over ten years. Took it cause it pleased my parents. Have had an education but the economy sucks and I am pickier than ever about what to do with my life. I have a plan I am working on with someone, but some days, I just can't take it anymore. A few top people have quit their jobs. And a survey is expected any day and everyone is in extra ass-hole mode. So that is why I hate my job!
Wasted Working Life
- I've never been able to make a living at what I was feel I was born to do, music. As a result, I've worked at unsatisfying jobs that are not challenging and are boring. This has lasted my entire adult life. I'm nearing retirement and when I finally leave this grind hopefully I'll be able to do something in the area in which I am gifted. While it's certainly not as bad as some, it is still very frustrating that things have turned out this way.
- My boss does not follow through on most everything he tells me he will do. All my work comes from him and he is so so so slow getting documents to do my job. I have been told that the accounting can wait for awhile. What!!! Personality issues go hardly are addressed. Ignore it and it will go away is the general feel. No one cares if the accounting or anything gets done in a timely fashion. This makes it almost impossible to do my Accounting Manager job. Then I get tons of stuff dump on my desk and the pressure is on.
- —Guest owens1964
Coworkers from Hell
- I've been working at the same place for over 10 years I have never in my life been around so many miserable individuals. Why are you even working here if you are that unhappy everyday? I walk into this job and have no idea what I am going to get in those 8 hours. Some of these people treat me so bad it's no wonder I don't commit murder and end up in prison for the rest of my life. These people treat me like something icky on the bottom of their shoes. I have always been someone that doesn't believe in taking crap from anybody and that includes upper management. But these people expect for me to just take whatever type of abuse they have to give. To hell with that s*** . You will not make me out to be the bad guy. I consider myself a pretty laid back person. I believe in the model live and let live. Some of these people are really getting on my last damn nerve. I'm just plain tired of the abuse.
- —Guest Shelley Rodof
- Worked at a major retail chain for 20 + years. I gave my all, my life, my existence to the company. I blatantly followed their rules and regulations to the tee. I've seen good people get fired for being good supervisors to their staff, and seen great managers fired for standing up for their staff. I left, maybe in the heat of emotion. I did ask to be put down to a lower position, but they wouldn't hear of it. The supervisors expected me to do their jobs, and mine. I wasn't paid to be a supervisor, but that wasn't their problem.. it was mine. And now I'm the bad guy with the company! Where's the RESPECT!
- —Guest Oh Boy
My Job Has Made Me a Right Winger
- I am an advice worker at CAB, i used to want to help people, but now I'm just so sick of people moaning about trivial matters or trying to get me to help them win benefit appeals when they are clearly faking illness / disability or have had benefits stopped for claiming to be single mums when they aren't or they haven't bothered to show they're looking for work so have cuts to benefits. Then there are the ones who want me to get their priority housing points back after turning down emergency accommodation because the bedroom was not quite big enough or the bathroom was downstairs! I used to be sympathetic but now there's just too many and my caseload is too high to cope that I just don't care about anyone anymore, even the desperate cases. Plus food bank vouchers , I hate having to decide who is needy enough for them, it's just not what I signed up for! Then you bend over backwards to help and people are very rarely grateful. I have compassion fatigue.
- —Guest Jenny
- I dread going to my job because I feel out of my depth and not confident to do it. I hold a university degree and have a fair amount of experience, but I haven't practiced in this field for the past three years. It's been absolutely terrifying returning to this industry and feeling like a complete dunce. The people are mostly really nice, but I hate the work, don't feel any passion for it and hence I clock-watch and can't wait for each day to end. I rotate through different sections and the upstairs section is absolutely terrifying...I feel totally out of my depth, I had no idea I would have to perform tasks such as these, and the expectation is high and will only increase as I become more experienced. It feels like a heavy burden that will only grow heavier. I'm fearful I will just not be able to get up in the morning one day and never go back. The pay is good and there are some good aspects to the job, but it isn't me. I'm dying to quit and forget it ever happened.
- —Guest Dreaming of a better fit
Tired Of It All
- I have my position changed at work and I told the new DM that I loved the position I had at my work. He smiled but didn't tell me it was going to change. Since the change there have been products I am suppose to learn to get the job done. Some of the information is easy to find but most is not and when a customer is sitting in front of you, you really don't want to waste their time trying to find an answer. When I have gone to ask my BM and ABM about what is the right procedure to help the clients. I have been told the wrong information and then blamed later for not doing the procedure correctly. There has been favoritism with the BM and the RM and she makes sure he hits his sales goals regardless. She has told many of the clients he is her favorite employee and there is no one like him. The market has been cornered by my BM, ABM and Senior Banker who are all over me and I am suppose to compete with them for sales. I have gone to HR about the verbal abuse I had gone through. To no avail.
- —Guest Guest Lost
Starting at the Bottom, Next Step is Up
- I work in an entry level job where I started out as a temp. I grind to get to my position where I stuck as the only competent one. Everyone else screws up in training or on the job so that they are considered "unable to perform" tasks, thus allowing them to sit in front of a computer all day. Management does not care as long as you look like you are working. They want to play a game to see which group gets the most employees under them. The culture supports slacking and stupidity. I am stuck doing banal tasks and fixing others messes. I was assigned work on vacation to make me look as if the work was taking really too long to do. It's paranoia and suspicion for me. Only good thing is that they treat me like God: I am ignored until they need me and they fear me leaving them. Cliques form around me and company group events are awkward since I am there as some black sheep. It is not a friendly environment since people don't look at each other in the hallways. I can't wait to sign my 2 weeks.
- —Guest Sparkles
I HATE MY JOB
- I hate my job because my manager is a complete a-hole. He favorites the people who stand around on their phones and picks on me. I clean all the time (I work at a yogurt shop) and it's NEVER EVER good enough. He nitpicks. He refuses to give me more than 2 days a week-- 4 1.5 hours each day because he thinks i don't deserve it and that I have never improved since the store has opened in June (now december). I cannot deal with him. Also, my life was potentially threatened at the store. When informing him, he didn't even care. F-U stupid manager/
- —Guest Hiii
- I hate this job. I work at a restaurant and they expect you to work there when you are sick. Also you are responsible for finding your own replacement if you can't fulfill your duties. 1.) They dont even have a list of employee contacts put up. 2.) If I am sick but have enough energy to chase down co-workers and get their numbers to schedule them to come in I am well enough to come into work. Also my schedule will say 8am-5pm but I won't get off work until 7pm. They say the schedule is just an "estimated" time, so in that case the time I come in to work should also be "estimated". I am a part time worker but working full time hours. Part time should be under 30 hours yet I am working 40. The turnover is terrible. I have not worked for this company very long but every week I have been here someone has quit. There are 4 managers on the floor, all complete idiots. They confuse the employees by one manager saying 1 thing and another saying the complete opposite. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND WORKING HERE
- —Guest **** my job
The Place is Run Unfairly
- I work in a Sales call center. We deal with people who want to renew their contracts. However there is also customer service involved. When we get a call it is either 1. nothing to do with sales 2. someone mad and angry complaining about contract 3. Renew contract. ANDDD people that have been working there for a while they have it so that the only calls they get is from people who want to renew while the "lesser" people that haven't been there a while have all the angry customers and nothing to do with sales. I understand seniority but why would they expect anything from us to meet sales expectations when its every one is not getting the same calls? PLUS they give out OUR sales phone # to all customers so no wonder they don't wanna buy its because they are calling about something else!! So we are held accountable in the end. Last month they lowered our pay and raised our goals. I'm changing my job asap! Then they wonder why people leave all the time -- BUHHH you guys are idiots!
- —Guest Me
- I hate my job. I have had a lot of days end in tears. I sit in front of the computer all day and answer phones for an insurance company. This lousy company expects more and more out of our performance to where its nearly impossible to meet their goals. People are so nasty on the phones and we have to kiss their butts. My supervisor is an a hole so want to quit!
- —Guest red
Underminded, Underpaid and Too Nice
- The manager steals from company while warning us that employees always take from the company and this is awful according to her. This is followed by being told daily I'm doing my job wrong and I do ugly work which is funny because our customers are always thanking me and telling me how beautifully I've made the end product. It's so contradicting and annoying. You say I do ugly but our customers say I do amazing. You say don't take from company while giving stuff away to your friends and family. Seriously, you're unprofessional and FYI, state holidays are paid regardless of whether I work that day but not according to my company. Same goes with no breaks, even if you work 5-8 hours, It's just ridiculous.
- —Guest m
- My boss is worthless. He sits at his desk texting and playing games on his phone all day. He belittles me to no end and thinks it's funny. To give him respect would be useless because he deserves every bad thing life can bring to him. And 2 weeks notice, I THINK NOT!
- —Guest He's worthless
1-15 of 331Next