The job I lost
At 17, I got my first job. I was raised with the attitude if you work hard, you will be able to retire in your 60s.
For the past 9 years, I've worked as a clerk in a city municipality. In June 2009 my position was eliminated and I'm now on unemployment for the 1st time at 62 years old.
I've done my best to save for retirement, but my wages were never very high and my 401 took a drastic hit; now I don't have enough to retire on, even with the $850 social security I am eligible for.
My COBRA costs me $366 mo. with the fed subsidy. COBRA & Unemployment need extended. There are so many of us in this situation.
What it's like being unemployed
It's embarrassing to tell people I’m on unemployment and when people say mean things on forums it angers me. Some people accuse people of not wanting a job!
I'm finding that nobody wants to hire a 62 year old. I am very experienced but there are tons of qualified younger people out there that are just as qualified.
This area has always had one of the highest unemployment numbers nationwide, even when we are not in a recession! It's going to take a long time to get back to where we were before the housing bubble burst.
My biggest concern is I won't get a job and therefore won’t be able to put money into my Social Security for my retirement. I am worried about living and paying my bills on such a meager amount if I have to go on Social Security now. I live with my 92 year old mother and try to take care of her too. She has dementia.
It's frustrating to know I can work, I want to work, I need to work, but there's nothing out there I can find. I feel lost.
- I have learned to downsize and do without a lot.
- I shop in outlet grocery stores that carry discontinued items and I clip coupons.
- I cook at home and don't go out to eat because it's so expensive.
- Once in awhile, I go with a friend & we split a meal; it's a treat to get out.
- I have signed up for sites that offer freebees and I've received some good items.
- I am planning on getting a "Pay as you Go" cell phone. No contract fees.
- I stay at home a lot so I don't have to pay for gas.
- I re-evaluated my car insurance, cable, canceled long distance, etc.
- I rent DVDs @ kiosks for $1.00.