The job I lost
I lost not only a job, but a career. I had been teaching for close to ten years when the rug was pulled out from under me. I was quite surprised when my tenured teaching position was eliminated due to lack of funds.
I taught for 6 years in various locations, always with at risk youth and sometimes in jails. As rewarding as the job was, I decided to transfer over to another division where I would be eligible for tenure in 3 years (there was no tenure for my previous teaching job).
I was granted tenure and framed my tenure letter on the wall. Not long after that, the school's budget imploded.
What it's like being unemployed
At first, I was emotionally distraught. I've now come to accept the fact that I have a Master's degree in a field that won't be rehiring any time soon.
Fortunately for me, I'm a saver and try to plan ahead. My unemployment benefits are about to expire while the government goes on vacation, comes back and still doesn't extend benefits. I had hoped they'd be well rested enough after their little break to take action.
I get a very distinct feeling that they look down their noses at those of us in need. I've even read them refer to the unemployed as "those people". No, sir, actually it's supposed to be "We, the People".
Teachers don't make a ton of money, but I was proud of what I had worked my way up to. Now I get way less than half the money I used to get, and that's about to run out.
It's really a shame to have teachers or anyone out of work. But we really do reap what we sow as a society. I would have stuck with teaching until retirement. Now I'll be reinventing myself.
- Know how to do more than one thing so you're more marketable
- Remember that the old rules don't apply anymore- college does not equal employment
- If your trade or industry is not coming back any time soon, reinvent yourself and select a different vocation you've always wanted to try (I'm personally turning a former hobby into a business)
- Invent something. I'm currently working on 5 concepts for patent and production
- Let your government know what you think- they are supposed to be there to serve us- the squeaky wheel gets the grease