Women constitute half the world's population, perform nearly two-thirds of its work hours, receive one-tenth of the world's income and own less than one-hundredth of the world's property.
United Nations report, 1980.
- Just under 30% of the country's lawyers are women compared with 2/10 of 1% in 1887.
Capital District Business Review
- Women, on average, are still making only 75 cents for every dollar earned by a man.
Working Woman's 21st Annual Salary Survey
- The Mommy Gap - While the hourly wages of women without children are roughly 90 percent of men's hourly wages, the comparable figure for women with children is 70 percent.
- In New York's Silicon Alley men make an average of $55.90 - an hour, compared with $42.80 for women.
Economic Policy Institute, reported by the New York Times
- Jobs for women doubled in every industry except manufacturing between 1964 and 1999. Jobs for men doubled in only services, retail and finance.
US Department Of Labor