For job seekers, it's easy to interview right from home. It saves on travel time and video interviewing, if you prepare in advance, can be less stressful than interviewing in-person. Here's information on the different types of online job interviews and how to best practice and prepare for the interview.
Webcam Job Interviews
There are a variety of types of online job interviews, but the most typical is the interview via webcam. Rather than having you travel to an office, the interviewer will simply conduct the interview on a webcam. Depending on the company, they may send you a webcam and a set of interview questions or you may be expected to use your own webcam.
Online Job Interview Systems
Some employers use online web-based systems for interviewing. For example, Spark Hire provides options for recorded interviews via webcam and in-depth live interviewing with split screen online interviews with candidates.
On Your Own Online Job Interviews
Sometimes, rather than interviewing you, employers email you a list of interview questions and ask you to film yourself answering them. If this is the case, all the same rules still apply. Even though you are not speaking directly to a person, be sure to smile and maintain friendly eye contact with the camera.
Online Job Interview Preparation Tips
Remember that online interviews are just as important as in-person interviews. Your interview could get you to the next round of job interviewing or even a job offer if the company handles all the interviewing online. Here's how to get ready for your interview.
- Dress professionally. Even if you are sitting down, wear nice pants and shoes (you never know when you will have to stand up).
- Clear your workspace and any clutter that is behind you so it doesn't show up on the screen.
- Make sure you are in a quiet room where you will not be disturbed by people, pets, etc.
- Have a piece of paper and pen ready so you are not scrambling to find them later.
- Have a copy of your resume in sight, in case you have to refer to dates.
- Practice. Practice using your web cam equipment before the interview so you are sure everything is in working order.
Here are more online interview tips on what to wear, how to practice, what color clothing works best, hair and make-up, and lighting.
Online Job Interview Articles and Advice