When you are interviewing for a temp job through a temporary agency you will interview with staff from the agency. If hired, you may also interview with the company where you will be working or sent directly to an assignment without having to interview again.
If you have applied directly for employment with a company hiring temp workers, you will interview with a hiring manager at the company. You may also be asked to interview with the department in which you will be working.
In either case, it's important to make the best impression you can on the interviewer. Here are tips on how to ace a temporary job interview.
Temporary Job Interview Tips
- Research the company. Know what kinds of temp staffers they are looking for, and what kinds of placements they offer.
- Dress appropriately in neat, clean attire. Bring an umbrella in inclement weather.
- Have your resume, a note pad, and a working pen on hand.
- Know your availability. If you are a student, know the exact dates that classes start and end, and your class schedule if it's during the semester.
- Be honest about your goals. If you are looking for a temp to permanent position, make sure they know that.
- Review sample temp job interview questions, and spend some time thinking about your answers.
- Answer questions honestly and try to put a positive spin on all your answers.
- Be on time, or a few minutes early (not more than 10 minutes early).
- Have a breath mint on the way there, but nothing in your mouth when you arrive.
- Smile, introduce yourself and offer a firm handshake to everyone you meet.
- Think of a few questions of your own to ask when you have the opportunity. It's fine to write them down ahead of time on your note pad.
- Remember people's names, and use them when speaking.
- Remember to send a thank you note or email message after the interview.
Temporary Job Articles and Advice
- Temporary Job Interview Questions and Answers
- Temporary Jobs
- Temporary Agencies
- How to Find a Temp Agency