Job Application Guide (Index)
Job Applications In Person
Applying for a job in person is a little different than applying for employment online. It's not as complicated, but you will need to be prepared to apply and interview on the spot.
If you are applying for a position at a large company, call first to see if there are openings or visit the customer service center or human resources office and ask if you can complete an application for employment. At a smaller employer, ask for the manager.
You may be asked to fill out an application at a hiring kiosk. In this case, you will use a computer or a free-standing kiosk to apply.
Also be prepared to complete a paper job application. So, bring the information you'll need to fill out an application with you.
What You Need to Complete a Job Application
- Full contact information including your address, zip code and a phone number where you can be reached
- Educational information including dates of graduation
- Names and addresses of previous employers
- Dates of employment
- Resume (if you have one)
Fill Out a Sample Application
Complete a sample job application ahead of time so you know exactly what information you will need to know.When You Apply
- Bring a pen so you don't need to borrow one to fill out the application.
- Know what days/hours you are available to work.
- Be prepared for a brief on-the-spot interview.
- Dress should be, at the least, neat and tidy. Business casual is usually appropriate.
- Make sure your hair and fingernails are well groomed.
- Wear moderate shoes.
- Make a follow-up call a week or so after you have applied, if possible, to check on the status of your application.
Job Application Resources