How to Follow Up After a Job Interview
If you have time during the interview, collect business cards from those you interview with. That way, you'll have contact information to easily follow up. If that isn't feasible, check on LinkedIn for the correct spelling of the names, job titles, and for the contact information for your interviewers, if it's listed.
After a Job Interview
When you are selected for a job interview, it means that you're a serious contender for the job. That's why it's important to take the time to follow up after every single job interview, including in-person, and phone, and second interviews.
By following up, you're reminding the interviewer that you're a strong candidate for the job and you are reinforcing the fact that you're qualified and should be given serious consideration.
How to Follow Up After an Interview
- Send a thank you letter, note, or email message to everyone who interviewed you.
- Email is the fastest way to say thank you after a job interview and it's perfectly acceptable to send a thank you email message.
- Consider sending a handwritten thank you note. Keep a box of thank you note cards and a book of stamps handy. It will serve as another reminder and show that you care enough about the job to take the time to write a note, put on a stamp, and mail your thank you.
- Don't wait. Send your note within 24 hours of the interview, sooner if you're emailing. That saying about "he who hesitates is lost" can hold true when you're job searching.
- Promote your candidacy. Use your follow-up note to reiterate your interest in the job and the company.
- Tell the interviewer why you are qualified. Highlight your relevant skills that are specific to the job requirement.
- What did you forget to say? If there's something you had wished you'd shared during the interview, do it now. Mention anything you wished you had said, but didn't, during the interview.
- Proofread your follow up letters before you send them. A typo or grammatical error can knock you out of contention.
- Review examples of thank you letter examples if you're not sure what to write.