It's your turn! As the interview comes to a close, one of the final questions you may be asked is "What can I answer for you?" Have interview questions of your own ready to ask. You aren't simply trying to get this job - you are also interviewing the employer to assess whether this company and the position are a good fit for you.
Here are questions to ask the interviewer so you can ensure the company is a good match for your qualifications and interests.
Interview Questions to Ask the Employer
- How would you describe the responsibilities of the position?
- How would you describe a typical week/day in this position?
- Is this a new position? If not, what did the previous employee go on to do?
- What is the company's management style?
- Who does this position report to? If I am offered the position, can I meet him/her?
- How many people work in this office/department?
- How much travel is expected?
- Is relocation a possibility?
- What is the typical work week? Is overtime expected?
- What are the prospects for growth and advancement?
- How does one advance in the company?
- Are there any examples?
- What do you like about working here?
- What don't you like about working here and what would you change?
- Would you like a list of references?
- If I am extended a job offer, how soon would you like me to start?
- What can I tell you about my qualifications?
- When can I expect to hear from you?
- Are there any other questions I can answer for you?
Interview Questions NOT to Ask
- What does this company do? (Do your research ahead of time!)
- If I get the job when can I take time off for vacation? (Wait until you get the offer to mention prior commitments)
- Can I change my schedule if I get the job? (If you need to figure out the logistics of getting to work don't mention it now...)
- Did I get the job? (Don't be impatient. They'll let you know.)
Here are more questions not to ask an employer during an interview, plus tips on how to avoid asking questions that could cost you the job.
More Questions to Ask During an Interview
More questions for interviewees to ask an employer during a job interview. Includes general questions for all types of jobs, as well as specific questions for a variety of occupations and types of interviews.
Interview Questions You Will Be Asked
In addition to preparing a list of questions to ask the hiring manager, it's also important to review the most common interview questions you'll be asked so you can think about how you will answer. Here's a list of typical interview questions, along with sample answers.
Interview Questions Employers Should Not Ask
There are some interview questions, typically known as illegal interview questions, that employers should not ask during a job interview. Here are questions that shouldn't be asked during a job interview and how to respond if you're asked inappropriate questions.