The interview questions that hiring managers ask entry level candidates will typically be focused on why you are interested in the job and why the company should hire you.
Review these entry level interview questions and consider how you would answer, so you're ready to respond during the job interview.
Entry Level Interview Questions
Questions About College
- Why did you select your college or university? - Best Answers
- If you could, how would you plan your academic study differently? Why? - Best Answers
- How would you prepare for important tests or exams? - Best Answers
- What college subjects did you like best? Why? - Best Answers
- What college subjects did you like least? Why?
- - Best Answers
- Describe your most rewarding college experience. - Best Answers
- Who was your best teacher, and why? - Best Answers
- If I were to ask your professors to describe you in three words, what would they be?
- - Best Answers
- What was your biggest challenge as a student, and how did you handle it? - Best Answers
- Do you think that your grades are a good indication of your academic achievement? - Best Answers
- Did you prefer working independently or in groups on school projects?
- - Best Answers
- Do you have plans for continued study? - Best Answers
- What extracurricular activities have you participated in? - Best Answers
- What was your greatest strength as a student? - Best Answers
- Why did you choose your major? - Best Answers
- How has your college experience prepared you for a career? - Best Answers
Questions About Your Work Experience
- Have you completed any internships? What did you gain from the experience? - Best Answers
- Tell me about your work experience? How has it prepared you for a career? - Best Answers
- Have you accomplished something you're proud of at work? - Best Answers
- What major problems have you encountered at work and how did you deal with them? - Best Answers
- What have you learned from your mistakes? - Best Answers
- What is your greatest weakness? - Best Answers
- What is your greatest strength? - Best Answers
- How do you handle stress and pressure? - Best Answers
- How would you describe yourself? - Best Answers
- How do you think a friend or professor who knows you well would describe you? - Best Answers
- What motivates you? - Best Answers
- What accomplishments are you the most proud of? Why?
- Why should I hire you?
- What qualifications do you think will make you successful in your work?
- What things are most important to you in your job?
Questions About the Future
- What are your short term goals and long range objectives?
- How do you plan to achieve your goals?
- What do you see yourself doing five years from now?
- What do you see yourself doing ten years from now?
- What are the most important rewards you expect in your career?
Questions About the Company and the Job
- What do you know about our company?
- What interests you about this job?
- Why do you want to work here?
- If you were hiring a college graduate for this job, what qualities would you look for?
- What do you think it takes to be successful at this company?
- What can you contribute to our company?
- What new ideas do you think you can bring to this company?
- Describe the relationship that should exist between a manager and employees.
- In what kind of work environment are you most comfortable?
- Are you willing to travel?
- Are you willing to relocate?
- How do you feel about working evenings and weekends?
- Is there anything I haven't told you about the job or company that you would like to know?
Interview Questions to Ask
The last job interview question you may be asked is "What can I answer for you?" Have an interview question or two of your own ready to ask. You aren't simply trying to get this job - you are also interviewing the employer to assess whether this company and the position are a good fit for you.
College Job Interview Questions
When you are a college student or recent graduate, it's important to relate your college education, extracurricular activities, and experiences to the job for which you are applying.
Behavior Based Interview Questions
In addition to being ready to answer these standard questions, prepare for behavior based interview questions. This is based on the premise that a candidate's past performance is the best predictor of future performance. You will you need to be prepared to provide detailed responses including specific examples of your work experiences.
More Interview Questions and Best Answers
Interview Questions and Answers: Questions you'll be asked when interviewing and how to prepare the best answers to interview questions.
Tough Interview Questions
These are some of the more difficult interview questions that you may be asked on a job interview.
Read and Add Interview Questions
Have you been asked an interview question that isn't on the list? Review more entry level interview questions and share the questions you have been asked on job interviews and add them to our list.
Job Interview Articles and Advice