Before the close of a job interview, the hiring manager will ask if you have any questions about the job or the company. It's always a good idea to have a list of a few questions ready to ask. Here are some questions you can ask the interviewer when you are interviewing for an office / administrative position.
Interview Questions to Ask for Administrative Assistant Jobs
- Can you describe a typical day(week) in this department?
- What are the responsibilities of this position?
- What are the strengths in this department? What are the weaknesses?
- What would your past assistants say was the best part of working for you? What would they say was the worst?
- What direction do you see the company going in the next five years? Do you feel that there are any threats to it's success?
- Why did your last assistant leave the position? What were his/her strengths? What were his/her weaknesses? What is he/she doing now?
- What characteristics did your best assistant have? What about your worst assistant?
- How often are performance reviews performed? Who conducts them?
- What skills are most important to you in an administrative assistant?
- How do you reward and encourage the people who work in your department?
- Are there any ongoing production issues in this department?
- How have you dealt with personnel problems in the past?
- What are some of the biggest challenges for a person in this position?
- What is the most rewarding aspect of this position, in your opinion?
- Do you (Does the company/department) support memberships in professional associations, and continuing professional development?
- What would you describe as the role of the administrative staff in this office?
- Are overtime or weekend hours expected?
- What do you like most about working for this company? Are there changes you would make?
- What do you like least about working here?
- Do you encourage the department to work as a team, or concentrate more on individual contributions?
Interview Questions You Will Be Asked
In addition to preparing a list of questions to ask the hiring manager, it's also important to review the most common interview questions you'll be asked so you can think about how you will answer. Here's a list of typical interview questions, along with sample answers.