The Federal Government provides federal government employees with nine paid holidays each year. When a holiday falls on a weekend, the holiday is usually observed on Monday if the holiday falls on Sunday and usually observed on Friday if the holiday falls on Saturday.
Private sector employers may also provide employees with holiday pay for working on a holiday or a day off for a holiday. However, private employers are not required to pay employees extra for time worked on a holiday or to give them the day off from work.
Companies usually publish a list of holidays they observe at the beginning of each year. Check with your manager or the Human Resources department to get an upcoming holiday schedule for the current year or future years.
Here's a list of upcoming federal holidays:
2013 Holiday Calendar
- Tuesday, January 1 - New Year’s Day
- Monday, January 21 - Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Monday, February 18 - Washington’s Birthday
- Monday, May 27 - Memorial Day
- Thursday, July 4 - Independence Day
- Monday, September 2 - Labor Day
- Monday, October 14 - Columbus Day
- Monday, November 11 - Veterans Day
- Thursday, November 28 - Thanksgiving Day
- Wednesday, December 25 - Christmas Day
Holiday Pay and Time Off
More information on holidays, paid holidays, and holiday time off from work.