Private sector employers may also provide employees with holiday pay for working on a holiday or a day off for a holiday. However, private employers are not required to pay employees extra for time worked on a holiday or to give them the day off from work.
Companies usually publish a list of holidays they observe at the beginning of each year. Check with your manager or the Human Resources department to get an upcoming holiday schedule for the current year or future years.
Here's a list of upcoming federal holidays:
2012 Federal Holiday Calendar
- Monday, January 2 - New Year's Day
- Monday, January 16 - Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Monday, February 2 - Washington's Birthday
- Monday, May 28 - Memorial Day
- Wednesday, July 4 - Independence Day
- Monday, September 3 - Labor Day
- Monday, October 8 - Columbus Day
- Monday, November 12 - Veterans Day
- Thursday, November 22 - Thanksgiving Day
- Tuesday, December 25 - Christmas Day
Holiday Pay and Time Off
More information on holidays, paid holidays, and holiday time off from work.