Be sure to make your font large enough so that the reader doesn't have to squint to read your letter, but not so large that your letter doesn't fit on well on the page.
Using a simple font will ensure that your cover letter is easy to read. Basic fonts like Arial, Verdana, and Times New Roman work well. Depending on how much content you have in your letter select a 10 or 12 point font size. It's best if you can format your cover letter so it fits on one page.
Regardless of the font size you select, there needs to be space at the top of the letter and between each paragraph and each section of your cover letter. Here's how to space your cover letter.
When you are using Microsoft Word, here is how to select a font for your letter and how to select the font size. If you're using a different word processing program, the process is similar. Select the content of your cover letter then choose a font and a font size.
You may need to try a couple of different sizes to make sure that your cover letter fits on a single page.
How to Select a Cover Letter Font
- Select a font from the list at the top of your document before you start writing your letter, or:
- Type your cover letter.
- Highlight the content of your letter.
- Either select the font from the pop-up window or select the font from the list at the top of the document.
- Select the font size you want to use the same way.
- Proofread your cover letter.
- Print your cover letter, even if you are going to upload it online, to make sure that it is formatted, properly spaced, and looks the way you want.