1. Careers
Alison Doyle

Would You Quit Without Notice?

By April 12, 2014

I've spoken to a couple of people who quit their job without providing two weeks notice and weren't sure about the repercussions. With the first one, it shouldn't make much of a difference because the person had only been at the job for a week. I suggested that he not even mention this position when he applies for new jobs.

The other case is more complicated. The woman stayed late at work, cleaned out her cubicle, and left a resignation letter on the desk of her supervisor. The letter apologized for not giving notice (sample resignation letter - no notice) and said she needed to resign immediately.

It would have been wiser, if circumstances allowed, to ask if she could be released from her job early (resignation letter - short notice), rather than just quitting.

The problems are going to arise when she starts a new job search. It's doubtful that she'll get a good reference from the company that she quit without notice. That means she's going to have to do some explaining to prospective employers, and it's always easier to move on when you've left your last position on good terms.

That said, there can be times when it is just too difficult to stay. Two weeks can be a very long time when you're in a stressful situation. Here are some reasons why it can make sense to quit without notice.

How about you? Have you ever walked off the job? Would you quit without notice?

Read More: How to Resign | Resignation Letters | Resignation Letter Samples

Photo Copyright Steve Luker

Comments
August 8, 2009 at 12:46 pm
(1) HR says:

For purely selfish reasons, I give a notice.

It’s easier to just up and leave, but chances are good I will regret it later.

April 28, 2011 at 7:07 pm
(2) Panda says:

Does the Employer ever give 2 weeks notice before they let you go?? No, in fact they don’t most of the time and I think if the situation is hostile or you know you will be fired the moment you give notice it is not worth the potential stress and hostility from your employer to give notice.
I have just made the mistake of giving notice after many years with my employer and while we were on good terms right up until the moment I handed in my notice I was treated like the scum of the earth, bad mouthed to clients and run out the door. I later found out that this is always the way this person handles this situation and no reference will be given no matter how stellar my work history was up until that day.

I WISH I had just walked out!

July 22, 2011 at 10:46 am
(3) Christine says:

I think her story says more about her boss than it does about her. It’s easier to blame the employee when things don’t work out, but if an employee doesn’t feel as though she can speak frankly to her boss, it’s usually because she has good reason.

I think that an explanation that the work environment wasn’t conducive to her doing her best work should be good enough for future employers. We’ve all been witness to this at some point, I’m sure.

July 23, 2011 at 4:16 pm
(4) Renie says:

Done that. Gave a horrible boss every chance, to no avail. Last straw situation had me walking out the door. Would I do it if I where just going to change jobs? Probably not. If you give 2 weeks notice and they want you out right away (I’m in finance), at least they have to pay you for the 2 weeks.

July 24, 2011 at 5:33 pm
(5) frieda says:

In a perfect world, all employees would follow proper procedures, and so would all employers. There are definite situations where having to deal with the consequences of leaving without notice is considered the lesser of two evils. I’m sure there’s a book somewhere explaining those situations.

October 27, 2011 at 10:48 am
(6) Elissa Jane Mastel says:

I personally have never just up and left a job without notice. But like Panda said, I’ve been fired without notice … although I had one employer who fired me and demanded that I stay a week and train the new person or I won’t get my unemployment.

Ending any relationship, whether personal or professional is always hard.

When leaving a job, I think giving notice is only fair to the people who have been employing you. Even if the situation isn’t positive, it’s the correct thing to do. As for references or getting another job… hopefully you’re leaving because you already found something else :)

Liked this post, I reposted on our Twitter feed at @jpatrickjobs

October 31, 2011 at 12:09 pm
(7) Robert says:

I never worried about unemployment benefits when I got fired. They make you wait 5 weeks and then you get a check.

My company made threats all the time about withholding unemployment benefits to it employee’s if fired. But, those who were fired, received benefits just the same, you just have to wait a penalty period. The company can’t tell the Government what to do. It doesn’t work that way.

They have benefits people at the unemployment office, that decide who gets what.

If you quit ! Then there are NO benefits. Because you caused the action of unemployment. Your not rewarded for making stupid mistakes.

November 1, 2011 at 6:18 pm
(8) ELAINE says:

HI:

I THINK IN ALL KINDNESS I WOULD GIVE NOTICE. I DO KNOW MANY BOSSES ARE VERY MUCH RUDE AND THAT COMES OUT IF YOU WANT TO SAY SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR JOB AND HE DOES NOT AGREE. I FEEL IT WAS JUST A SUGGESTION. THAT DID HAPPEN TO ME AND EVER SINCE I VOICED MY OPINION I WAS NEVER TREATED THE SAME..I DID QUIT BUT GAVE HIM NOTICE. I FELT I SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE SO BUT, THAT IS MY WAY AND I WILL NEVER TRUST A BOSS AGAIN

ELAINE

November 8, 2011 at 7:35 pm
(9) george says:

I GAVE NOTICE BEFORE AND MY BOSS SAID HE DIDNT WANT IT AND TOLD ME TO LEAVE. THEN HE CALLED ME BACK AND GAVE ME A RAISE.THREE YEARS LATER IM QUITTING AGAIN AND HE WILL GET NO NOTICE .THE WAY I SEE IT IS I WORKED FOR HIM-I MADE MONEY-I MADE HIM MONEY-THEREFORE I DONT OWE HIM A DIME OR ANY NOTICE UPON LEAVING.THEY LOVE YOU WHEN YOU MAKE THEM MONEY AND HATE YOU WHEN YOU DONT.SO EITHER WAY THEY WILL HATE YOU FOR LEAVING……..SO WHY GIVE NOTICE?????

December 18, 2011 at 11:08 pm
(10) Betty says:

Two main reasons I quit my job without notice: (1) FINANCIAL ABUSE AND (2) EMOTIONAL ABUSE.

No check on payday + a mean, hateful supervisor = I quit without notice.

My story:

I quit without notice from a job that I had worked at for over 5 years. I was a contractor with the company and they were late paying me THREE pay periods in a row. I talked to the supervisor and owner after the first late paycheck and the issue was not resolved and continued.

It took two weeks after I quit for them to get my last check to me after I sent them two emails and called them three times. (I had quit on a payday because they did not give me my check – AGAIN.)

Some other factors that influenced my decision was a new line supervisor who spoke hatefully to me everyday. The last straw (day) was when I asked her about a procedure and she said “Just do it, Betty!” and she laughed and turned away and said something derogatory about me to another employee within my hearing.

January 21, 2012 at 11:15 am
(11) Babs says:

I had to get up and walk out on a job after working there for 13 yrs,Talk about hard! Hurt my back on the job, took a 2 week light duty and went to doctors and chiro. with doctors notes.Everyone treated me like I was inconvenience them for doing my job for 2 weeks.Then after 2 weeks wanted me to go back to a physical job afterwards.Would not give me workmans comp. saying I did not hurt it on the job.They did not care!
I could not physically work another day,so Monday morning came in and QUIT.THEY WERE ALL IN SHOCK! Few months later I ended up having back surgery! Sometimes You just have to do what you have to do.!!

January 21, 2012 at 11:49 am
(12) JF says:

I always try to give proper notice. I think it helps all concerned.

i have been in a situation where a co-worker left on short notice due to the time sensitive requirements of her new position.

She had applied for a position elsewhere but someone else was chosen. That person changed their mind and the position absolutely had to be filled by a deadline date or the budget for it would be deleted. So she was given a choice, which was really no choice at all. The difference was $1200 a month!

She went to our supervisor and everyone worked together to assure a smooth transition.

I know of places where that would not have happened.

January 21, 2012 at 6:58 pm
(13) luis says:

I quit my Job but still gave notice. 15 days is already legal but the company insisted on 30. I followed the advise of 30 days.

I was with the company for 3 years. I rose from ranks from rank and file to no.1 supervisor in sales with consecutive months of highest achievement at an average of 150%, I was commended by two CEOs (incoming and outgoing) to have the best market ever visited. My boss also won a condominium because of hitting the yearly target at a doubled rate.

Then I was demoted, I was told by my boss that I skipped a position prior to becoming supervisor. So, I can’t receive my salary as a supervisor. I will receive a lower pay, I also can’t receive my incentives for the achievements. So I gave notice and waited to be released.

I found out after resigning. my promotions never reached the HR department. My boss did not forward documentation of my assignments. So, I searched for better company for almost two years. My 30 days notice helped me find my new company.

As for the previous company, It was never able to hit the targets I have established. The target sales were set from the history of my sales. The company also laid of a lot of people including my boss.

January 22, 2012 at 9:24 am
(14) Kay Stout says:

While there are extenuating circumstances, as witnessed by some of the previous comments, in most cases a two-week notice is the right thing to do, even if they do not treat you right AFTER you give notice.

Today’s social media connectivity makes it so much easier to learn about someone’s past – - the good, the bad and the oh-my-gosh-ugly. I’ve always given 2 weeks notice, minimum.

January 22, 2012 at 2:10 pm
(15) Solomon Mkparu says:

It’s appropriate and honourable to leave at least 2 weeks notice, even if you have been promised a job else where.
Besides, your new employer gives you up to a week or two to start work.
I did just that when I left my job despite not having any in view. During my last days my colleagues wanted me to rescind my decision to quit but my heart was not in the company again.

January 23, 2012 at 6:11 am
(16) maame says:

I will give notice before exiting.

No matter how bad a boss must have been, there could have been other good team members of whom i shall be considerate enough to prep them up for my exit.

A look at the bigger picture has a way of making us act in alternate ways

February 7, 2012 at 2:08 pm
(17) stacey says:

I have given my current job 31 days notice however my new jobs needs me to start as soon as possible. if i walk out of my current job without working the full notice could they refuse to pay me my wages up until the day i left and could they also refuse to pay me my owed holidays?

February 26, 2012 at 4:47 pm
(18) westlife says:

Ok guys heres what i wish to know if the contract state that before resigning u must give a 2 weeks notice and u do just that, but then after u gave out the notice the company decids that u should not come to work due to the fact that u are leaving them, and for company projects security, is the company enf0rced by law to pay you for those 2 weeks even tho u wer not working since they decided to seat u out?

March 11, 2012 at 2:50 pm
(19) Doug says:

What happens when your potential new employer tells you to give your two weeks notice to your current employer and a day before you start the new job your potential new employer tells you that you didn’t get the job, leaving you with no job in a day?

March 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm
(20) Steve says:

Please help me on this one; I think Im getting fired for doing something wrong at the company. I’ve worked there for 9 years and it would be my only professional reference. I want to resign before I get fired but Im not sure if I should give them the two weeks notice or resign without. I think their waiting for a coworker to return from vacations so that service wont be affected.

March 31, 2012 at 10:12 am
(21) JC says:

In many states now a days the ONLY information a past employer can give when called for a reference is the time period a person worked there and their duties.

May 4, 2012 at 12:28 pm
(22) hardtofindagoodcompany says:

It works both ways for unhappiness in a company with the employees. It’s safe to say most or 99% go to work to do a good job, want to succeed and be part of something. I’m sure there are the ones that just don’t care too, although it’s not typical. After reading, researching many things there seems to be consistency in why people hate their positons; the managment style isn’t right, favoritism, unqualified managers etc… we know the list can go on based on what we do. But i also believe companies DO NOT disclose all the not so good aspects of the position. Interviewing with others is not always a great indication because the manager picks the ones that will say nice things! Just like most don’t give bad references! I was at my position 2 weeks and noticed something is not right. My boss is a director and never met with me to go over agenda, what i’ll be doing etc… 6 months later and we still have not had a meeting. He doesn’t meet with anyone on a weekly or monthly basis? There is much favoritism and the good ole boys too. What validates my unhappiness is the person that had the job before me said the same things i’m saying, and this is coming from a valid source. I see why the person left and it saddens me because i’m on the lookout at well. I’m no job hopper, but life is too short and we need to be happy.

May 9, 2012 at 2:20 pm
(23) Tommy says:

I got so mad at my co worker that the next day i came and grab all my tool and quit. what will happen to me?

June 11, 2012 at 5:59 pm
(24) JulyGirl says:

I walked out on a job I had been at for 11 years with no notice! I worked for a very large law firm and my boss left and moved to New York. The firm gave me a new boss (BIG JERK) to work for and I couldn’t stand him or take his remarks anymore. I walked out right before Thanksgiving holiday and came back into the building to get my personal things over the weekend when I thought no one would be there. Well, to my surprise one of the lawyers (next door to my boss) was in and had always overheard how he talked to me. When this guy (Jim) saw me he said “I don’t blame you for leaving Exhibit A (BIG JERK BOSS). Do you think you’d like to work for me? I said “you’ve got to be kidding. You’re all nothing but a bunch of A_ _ holes! I left the building and got on the train to go home. I busted out laughing when I thought about the whole thing. Everyone on the train must have thought I was some kind of nut case. But I got the last laugh and never regretted walking out. I had a new job five weeks later that was closer to home.

June 20, 2012 at 10:41 pm
(25) Michelle says:

I have always left a company on good terms, until today.

There were many things going on that were inappropriate — favoritism, compliance issues, disorganized management, etc.. I was a workhorse, expected to do the work of senior staff & cover employees on leave with no additional training or compensation. I was working through breaks/lunches to “keep up”, but kept telling myself it was just a temporary inconvenience.

Then, my supervisor began belittling and repranding me for mistakes I was making while covering other jobs. She ridiculed me, telling me I wasn’t figuring it out fast enough, trying hard enough, or performing well enough. I overheard this boss bad-mouthing me to her boss. Expressing my concerns to upper-management was like screaming into a vacuum, but on the third occasion I was told to be patient and wait for my annual review, at which point it would all be “worth my while”.

The review was 2 weeks ago, and all of my hard work and flexibility earned a whopping $0.38 pay increase. Also, I received “mediocre” ratings across the board, and a negative note saying I needed to spend less time trying to improve the workplace and more time accepting the job for what it was. I started posting resumes that day.

I took yesterday off (my birthday), but got a call from a prospective employer and agreed to interview on my day off. Two hours later, I received an offer. They were willing to wait up to two weeks, but made it clear that I could start ASAP.

I went to work this morning, cleared my desk, left a signed resignation letter, and left. I start my new job — with a $3/hour pay increase — on Monday.

Part of me feels awful for leaving the company in a lurch, but the other part knows that my final two weeks would have been hell of I’d given them notice.

June 27, 2012 at 2:22 pm
(26) Sabrina says:

Usually, yes. One time I didn’t. My new job was pressuring me to start earlier than 2 weeks because they had a training class that was starting. I was at a call center job and most people didn’t bother giving notice at all, and was the type of job that was a revolving door anyway, so giving 3 days notice was a huge amount of time. There have been times where I have been very close to getting up and walking out but I try to remember that you should never leave or accept a job out of anger or desperation.

July 23, 2012 at 1:28 am
(27) Riana says:

I got a question, am i allowed to leave as soon as possible even tho im serving my 1mnth notice?

September 4, 2012 at 1:27 am
(28) sara says:

Actually you can get unemployment if you quit a job. It just has to go before a panel and then they decide if you had good reason or not. Sometimes employers can make a work situation horrible, distance was way to far, not enough hours to live on etc. When I talked to the lady at the unemployment office she said to always apply no matter what! Whether fired, quit or layed off that everyone had a different situation. Sometimes employers will try to bully you into thinking you won’t be able to get it so you won’t bother trying! But they’re just trying to keep you in the dark about your rights, so always apply it can’t hurt :-)

September 4, 2012 at 7:06 am
(29) Alison Doyle, Job Search Guide says:

It definitely doesn’t hurt to apply, but you can’t always get unemployment if you quit. As Sara mentioned, you need good cause. Here’s more on eligibility for unemplyment when you quit a job:

September 4, 2012 at 11:51 am
(30) Sally says:

I would always try and give notice, although I’m actually in the middle of working two weeks notice before starting a new job and my boss is treating me really badly because I’m leaving.

September 19, 2012 at 2:44 pm
(31) Jing Quang Mi says:

I did resign without notice but I have had no regrets. I was working at a hotel for the purpose of making money, not to obtain job experience for a permanent career.

In any case, I requested a day off work and my boss said nothing. I saw the schedule and found that I was scheduled to work that day. I asked my boss and he gave some unrealistic excuse about how he needed his best workers there that day (a Friday night–which was the least busy time of the week in that hotel). As it turned out, I was sick a few days before and called in each day. Nothing was said. I went to the Hotel early Friday to pick up my paycheck and my boss, although he tried to be nice, indicated that he didn’t believe me–thinking I was drinking at the local bar. After picking up my paycheck, I ran into a fellow worker who told me that my Supervisor was pissed because of my absence and if I called in again she was going to get me fired. At that point, I realized that supervisor had been able to turn my boss against me, probably by telling all sorts of lies. On the way home, I thought about the situation and decided to never go back–aside from random meetings with people I worked with (but not the boss nor Supervisor, whom I haven’t seen or heard from since), I never heard anything else from that hotel, nor have I asked for a reference from anyone there.

October 3, 2012 at 12:51 am
(32) Wilson says:

I want to share my story and my current situation. My employer owe me about 400 hours of overtime pay and 5 weeks of salary. Everytime i try to ask them for my pay they will avoiding me saying that he is too busy and unable to make the payment. He treat me very harsh and often scold and yell at me. The main thing is i do not know how much is my pay rates as they did not provide any pay slips. I am thinking of resigning of not giving any notice because i did not get paid and i’ve been mentally tortured in work. What should i do with this kind of employer? i know its good for giving notice but i really dont feel like doing it anymore.

October 10, 2012 at 9:26 am
(33) Francis says:

Thank you. Very encouraging. I am going through the same thoughts. Been in a job that is slightly different from my profession where I have been employed for slightly to 5 months. Reason of getting the job , was after burning out, I took the first job that came my way. Now, I have been offered a job in my sector and looking to leave soonest with minimum fuss…thank you

November 30, 2012 at 10:54 am
(34) sandy says:

I gave a two weeks notice to my supervisor on November 1, 2012 at my job of 13 years, and November 16, 2012 was my last day. Very sad with the teachers, staff, and especially the students. I worked at a Catholic school. What I would like to know do I still get a full check from them today November 30, 2012. I only received part of my check.

December 2, 2012 at 8:01 pm
(35) lanny says:

i found it difficult to find work being over 50 years old. with retail experience behnd me i found a seasonal job at minimum wage for xmas .i worked one shift and they did not tell me what i was supposed to do , never introduced me to the other employees and got upset to find out that i had no idea how to use the computirized cash register. they did not have the patience to train me. . i felt like a total loser .i left a note under the door the next day to say thati would not be returning .

December 7, 2012 at 2:05 am
(36) Fired says:

When a company gets sick of me I don’t get 2 weeks notice. I get a paycheck and a kick out the door. Most companies will only verify time of employment and position due to the possibility of lawsuits if they say something slanderous that prevents a person from getting a new job. It goes both ways

December 16, 2012 at 1:42 pm
(37) Dana Manciagli says:

When in doubt, rely on core values! “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”, show respect, and so many more. Two weeks is nothing…deal with it. Hold your head high, smile, spend times with the friends you have made at the office. AND ask for feedback from your current boss (no matter how hard that may be) and co-workers so you can take the gift of their feedback with you to your next career move.

You may need all of those relationships in the future so don’t be selfish and regret it later. The ONLY excuse for leaving immediately is if it is an extremely toxic environment. If that is the case, you should be, perhaps, filing a claim with HR. If not, give the notice and be pleasant and helpful to all during your two weeks.

Be nice, don’t bad-mouth anybody on your way out, and remember this is just a blip in time. Good luck!

December 19, 2012 at 2:07 pm
(38) ShouldveLeft says:

To commenter (22) hardtofindagoodcompany:

Your story is eerily familiar to the point where I could be the person who had your position. In my case, I didn’t ‘leave’. I was forced out. The director called me into his office and told me that they didn’t need another person in that job. The company was also hiring at the same time! They even posted my position online two days after firing me without notice.

The director promised to meet with me on things but always yanked the promises back. During my reviews, he would always say negative things that would justify a low pay raise but increased my workload every time. He even assigned tasks to me that clearly belonged to departments that had nothing to do with us.

The director and HR won’t return calls from prospective employers who want to complete background checks.

For years, I thought I was being paranoid or too impatient. I ignored every warning.

Don’t make the mistake I did. LEAVE! Obtain another position, give your two weeks notice, and leave asap. Don’t talk to anyone else, especially not HR, about your thoughts because they won’t care, are part of the cliques, or are afraid of being the next target. Nepotism, favoritism and fear (due to lack of education and skills amongst 80% of the other employees) run very deep in that place.

January 25, 2013 at 11:11 pm
(39) kiki says:

I worked at a job 8 years…new admin came in and started harassing the bejezzus out of a lot of people (wanted to replace us with temps), I decided to give a notice mid-day…one hour later my boss called me into her office and said I was in “big trouble” for some vague thing, and started a paper trail a mile long about an “investigation” when I was going to be gone in two weeks.
I asked her, if something was wrong, why did I not know earlier in the day. She told me this at 2pm, and had been in the office since 8 am.
It was obviously made up, but they wanted to punish me…I had seen them harass a lot of people into quitting that year, so I thought it best to go before I was next. They didn’t like that.

I have no idea how to explain this to a future employer. I am really glad I left, because my sanity is important, but it is going to be hard to explain the weirdness. I am currently volunteering while in school and hope for an internship, so I have plenty to do atm besides interviewing, but I dread when the question comes up someday.

February 16, 2013 at 3:21 am
(40) Just me says:

Long story short- job quit no notice, hurt hurting, pain knees, wrists, foot, neck, back. groin. I have attitude, I asked for the day off about 3 weeks ago feeling bad, hand swollen, I had dislocated finger and didn’t even know it, awards the best. will miss it, hopefully I can get another job, without a past employer thinking they have the right to make it to where I can’t get work.

March 29, 2013 at 1:31 am
(41) Natalie says:

I’ve only once quit a job without notice. It was a part-time sales job at a clothing boutique that I was way overqualified for and wanted to do as a low-stress and fun way to make a little extra cash. The owner really liked me, but the other employees were catty and small-minded and gossiped constantly and viciously about each other. I knew it would only be a matter of time before they sucked me into their poison or turned against me, so I left a toxic climate that wasn’t worth the small amount of money I was getting anyway. I knew that giving two weeks’ notice would give them ample opportunity to scrutinize me, and I also knew that not giving notice would not cause the owner undue stress or inconvenience (I was only scheduled for a few hours, and she always overstaffed anyway).

April 2, 2013 at 9:52 pm
(42) J says:

I just left my employer today, without notice. Why? Because they were expecting me to know the ins and outs of the job like a trained professional, when one, I wasn’t even trained by the people whom they actually deem to be qualified to train me, and two, because they were scheduling me a measly 3 hours a week. A WEEK! I never had enough time nor the right training, to figure out everything I was supposed to do, and to do it correctly and efficiently. Even then, I gave them a chance. I worked harder, and even though I struggled, I learned by myself, to do things they never bothered to teach me. And what did they do for my effort to maintain a high output and quality? Still three hours a week. Sadly, the manager whom I worked for, cared nothing about the quality of work, only if you’re capable of pushing a candy sale to someone who just ate (restaurant business if you haven’t figured it out) and gave those who could make the most sales, the larger quantity of hours, and days.

The final straw for me though, was when I had been employed to that business for 4 months, in which after working there for a month, you’re supposed to get an evaluation so that you may move up in your position. I never got that evaluation, not even after DOUBLE the time from when I was supposed to get it! The ridiculously slim hours, plus the manager’s apparent inability to realize how long I had been working there, was what drove the stake in the coffin, and as such, I calmly told them that I had found a more lucrative job, and that I was quitting.

April 11, 2013 at 10:47 am
(43) jacqlyn says:

I have been sick for three days, and I made the miss take of going to work while I am still not feeling well. When I left they wanted me to bring in a doctors note. I don’t like going to the doctor for a simple virus. I’m only getting $7.40 an hour and drive 84 miles there and back every day constantly worrying about the toll it’s taking on my 99 automobile. What do you think? Should I quit before the expected doctors note?

April 22, 2013 at 8:01 pm
(44) Memorie says:

To be honest, I don’t know if I’ll give a 2 weeks notice. My workplace is so corupt they wouldn’t care.

i am a childcare provider. my workplace is only suppose to be holding kids 0-12 years old and 20 kids at a time. Numorous times tave kept kids over the set age due to money. since not enough younger kids are being taken from their home my boss has gone to the extent of housing a teen from a mental hospital. not that I have anything against the teen. All I can say is they are puttibg the other childrens health or lives at risk.

I also work with my mother. a superviser. My mother and our boss disscuss my hours when I am off shift and even now. I have to text my mother everyday to see if I work. on a couple of occassions I’ve actually missed work.

So, yeah. a year of working her with an hourly wage of $10.20 and the emotional, mental and finacial abuse… I’d quit without notice.

June 15, 2013 at 2:26 pm
(45) Angus 110 says:

My employer gave me a 2 weeks notice (per my contract) but walked me out, retained my keys, blackberry and pc. This enabled them to pay a lot less of a severance (again, per my contract).

June 28, 2013 at 11:53 am
(46) YW says:

I just quit without notice and have before crappy pay and crappy hrs why do the respect of giving two weeks notice when you manager drastically cuts your hrs so much that it costs more money in bus fare to get to work. just make sure you always have something else lined up.

July 11, 2013 at 10:14 pm
(47) Secret says:

When you quit, you quit not wanting to offer the service for whatever reasons. Unhappiness, found a better job, better for the previous employer to save on the next 2 weeks of pay, clear-cut break-off. There must be some good reasons to do it. People who do it otherwise probably have things to hand over to or wanted to earn 2 more weeks of pay.

July 27, 2013 at 10:55 pm
(48) Anon says:

I just walked out of my server job today. I gave them my 2 weeks notice yesterday, but the emotional stress was just too much! I am not supposed to be a server, hostess AND table buser all in one. I was tending sections that weren’t even my own and a lady waiting for the hostess decided to grab me and give me hell for waiting for 10 minutes before getting a seat. When my manager came up to see what was going on I told her I was done and walked out.
Point is, sometimes you have to put your own well being over a job that is extorting you.

July 28, 2013 at 9:39 pm
(49) sarahg says:

If the situation is unbearable then yes leave but something must have happened for you to come to this decision. Speak with someone, if not your supervisor than someone else in the company. It is hard to find another job if you just up and left. Another employer would not want to take a chance with you no matter the reasons why you left. we never badmouth our current and past employers, not very professional. An employer must provide notice if they are going to terminate someone unless it is for cause. That said an employer can terminate an employee at anytime as long as they pay them the required notice and severance pay. Remember you could be ruining your career, can you not stick around for at least two more weeks. Also check your letter of emploment it might stipulate how much notice you must give.

July 30, 2013 at 3:13 pm
(50) Shannon 1235 says:

I walked out of a job leaving a note in the in-basket of my boss and that was 7 years ago. I have not been able to get another job since then because of the owner giving me bad reviews every time a potential employer calls for a reference, even after having worked there 3 1/2 years!!!! What he doesn’t know is why I left?

Well here goes, your precious, perfect employee Jon and I dated for a while and when I broke it off, he began spreading gossip and lies about me to the point that I couldn’t stay, and if that wasn’t enough, he stated he would ruin my reputation! Well he did and I walked out!

How long can you go on ruing my life too? How long will be long enough for me to be able to find work?

August 1, 2013 at 7:13 pm
(51) Regret_is_Real_People says:

I want to tell everybody GIVE A PRIOR NOTICE to your employer no matter how difficult your job is (except if it is totally life-threatening then do it) hold on to it until you reach your last day. Because I let my personal problems rule over me & my poor relationships with my coworkers, I quit from teaching job without prior notice. The day I packed my things & left the building was a beautiful day. I went home singing & dancing in the street like a little child in the park. It just felt so good that day, It felt like a heavy weight on my shoulder had been lifted. But the feel-good effect was just short term. The reality started to sink. Until this time I still haven’t found a job. It has been 9 months & nothing. I am a teacher. A darn good one. But because of the bad system & endless extra work you had to as a teacher, I reached my breaking point. Although I got called for an interview, but never got the chance to proceed with the hiring process because perhaps after they call my last employer? I always think it could be it. I left my prev employer in a really bad taste. I stumbled upon this site when I researched and researched why I couldn’t find employment given my experience & education. I see thousands of teaching positions wanted & applied to so many of them but never get a reply or a call. I suspect maybe they look at my prev experience & call my prev employer? Can the prospective employer reference check you by calling your previous employer (by looking at work history and track the employer) even though you did not give your references yet? Will I ever get the chance to teach again? My reckless action that day ruined my teaching career $ my chance of getting another job. I wasn’t happy with the way the administrators run that school but I should have left it & made a graceful exit. The lack of professionalism and poor judgment on my part paid a huge price. SO THINK OF THE CONSEQUENCES OF YOUR ACTIONS. In the mean time, I’ll see you on craigslist.

August 1, 2013 at 9:58 pm
(52) Debra says:

I’ve never done this but I’ve heard of many situations where once notice is given they just tell the departing employee to leave right then. I guess they feel it’s safer to be sure they don’t slide by the last two weeks or take company secrets or, I don’t know what. In that case I would feel very abused because it could affect health insurance that often terminates on the last day of work. This could also include using flex dollars set aside in a cafeteria plan that actually belongs to you but could be withheld. So, it seems the consideration should be mutual.

August 4, 2013 at 11:31 pm
(53) sherbear says:

Just quit a job I only had for 6 weeks without notice – first time in my 25 year career in financial industry that I have done this. Could not get along with someone I was working for and it was unbelievable stress. I started having pains in my chest while at work and decided it just was not worth it. Woman I worked for verbally abused me and called me unprofessional. I am starting my job hunt again tomorrow and am worried about what to tell potential employers about my short stint. I hated that job from about the second day and just couldn’t make it work. Always go with gut during an interview, I could tell this woman was a bitch but I ignored it because the job seemed so good. They had been through three assistants before me.

August 13, 2013 at 2:00 am
(54) Judith says:

How you conduct yourself in work relationships, even in terminating one, is about more than just the possible repercussions, it is about professional integrity and who you are as a whole person. I worked out a full month of notice in two jobs where I was treated like less than a human being, and as a result have been able to forgive the employers concerned sooner, and feel that I did the right thing under difficult circumstances. If you react in anger to being mistreated, you will later second-guess yourself and wonder if you do not carry some of the blame for the situation. Rather base your decisions on who you choose to be, not on the unprofessional actions of a person who does not deserve to be a determining factor in your future.

August 16, 2013 at 10:04 pm
(55) Paul says:

I quit a job after a-day-and-a-half. It was great. If you hate a job that you just started, and you’re only a week or so in and you can get your old job back–why not quit? Life is too short to stay at a job you hate. If you can’t go back to your old job then you should stay until you have a new job lined up. After you have the new job lined up, who cares anymore? You get one go around at life. If you hate a job, get a different one and quit ASAP.

August 22, 2013 at 10:15 pm
(56) unemployed says:

Yes I have quit several jobs without notice. Life is too short to be unhappy for any length of time. I am far happier in bed than being belittled in a hostile work environment.

August 30, 2013 at 9:23 pm
(57) ubetcha says:

I had loved, truly loved teaching and gave my all to the school. I was a widow with 3 kids under the age of 5, but the principal was an abusive monster. Yes, I thought about my first graders. I thought a great deal about my first graders but the principal thought absolutely nothing of the results of the abuse she gave out. I had told my mom at the beginning that the principal was horrible and deliberately vindictive to me in a personal manner. My mother, who was the shyest,most genteel and ladylike woman ever, thought carefully and told me that when the principal crossed the point of no return, I was to assign the students some work, pick up my things, walk out without a word, but with my head held high. 6 months later, my mother passed away. The principal continued to devastate me. Two years later she pushed me over the limit of my stress, anxiety and tolerance. I knew what to do.
I followed my mother’s good advice, and walked out proudly with righteousness, and free of guilt. Let the principal answer to the students and parents for what SHE had done. When we walk, it takes courage- but THAT is influence, THAT is power, and often it is the only
solution.: Facta non verba ( Deeds, not words) What strength!

October 13, 2013 at 3:21 am
(58) scott wilson says:

My boss text me on friday saying your on holiday next week can he do this.so i have got new job and wont be in aa week on monday see how he likes it

October 23, 2013 at 11:08 am
(59) Mary says:

Hello I’m in the situation that I want to leave but I have to give one month notice with just three month contract. I been suffering a kind off mobbing and now I’m off sick because the situation is causing me too much stress. I don’t want to be off sick but also don’t want to go back there and I don’t want that affect my future applications.

November 20, 2013 at 8:28 pm
(60) Tosha says:

I am somewhat in a similar position I started a new job 1 month ago and it was not my ideal job but I accepted it. Last week, I applied for a job that is in a field that I am very interested in. I am contemplating how I will handle this if I am offered the job. I would definitely accept the offer but I am wondering if 2 weeks notice is in order since I am still technically in the training stage. I would feel awkward being there an additional 2 weeks with everyone asking me why I am resigning.

November 24, 2013 at 2:58 am
(61) Jai says:

It depends on the whole situation. I’d give a two weeks notice if I am satisfied with my employer. I know it’s highly professional to give notice but under negative circumstances, I think not. I have issues with my current employer that I am not going to go into too much detail. It’s mainly the management of my department and co-workers. It has been the utmost worst work experience I’ve ever dealt with. Relatively because of sexual harassment and workplace bullying. That you do not give a two weeks notice for, point blank.

November 25, 2013 at 4:28 pm
(62) Fred Johnson says:

If a person is regularly being threatened at work, and it is not stopped immediately by the supervisor or human resources, it is absolutely the right thing to do to quit…for safety.

December 5, 2013 at 7:08 am
(63) Slawomir says:

I have bad and good experiences from the past. I only leave with appropriate notice given to the good guys. The bad guys get nothing as they treat people as 0. Simple as that, respect or no respect. If someone do s…for you why not to go out and do same for them . The fact they give you a job is not something they give you because they don’t have any benefits of it. This is business you are doing for them appropriate services and you get pay (worse scenario you don’t get equivalent pay to you job and benefits the company has by employing you – crap wage). Basically, this is business between you and second part. Yo do good job, they earn much more monies on you that you ear and everybody is happy, if not “hasta la vista babe” as same as employers do with employes kicking them out of the backdoor of their office, especially on temp contracts. I do not regret anything done to bad guys as they gos as same s… as they have given to me. It works both sides, not only one, maybe they will realize that fact one day. The next thing is employer by employing people doesn’t own them like a thing can be owned by bargain deal. No regrets for bad guys, never ever.

December 8, 2013 at 4:35 pm
(64) Amanda says:

A few years ago, I happened to give my two week notice to my employer and I told him the end date, which was also included in the letter. The two week notice I gave happened to fall during Thanksgiving week, so I was off on Thursday and Friday.

I asked permission for overtime approval (12 hours total at the most) to wrap up projects simply because the Thanksgiving holiday put me at a disadvantage. When I asked my boss, he became furious and called me unprofessional for asking for overtime to complete projects. Additionally, he added that the two weeks notice I gave wasn’t two weeks because it included Thanksgiving the the Friday after Thanksgiving off. He also said telling him at the end of the day (+ the two holidays off) does not amount to two weeks.

If he had a problem with my end date, he should have said something when I gave her my resignation letter. Since he called me “unprofessional,” he has not responded to any of my e-mails I have sent since he’s been out of the office.

December 9, 2013 at 11:15 am
(65) Andreas says:

I did this on my 1st and 2nd job after college but I’m not proud of it at all.

The 1st one is a bit funny actually. I quit without noticing the employer while he was on holidays in Canada for a whole month and a few days after he left I immediately got a job in another city on an unpaid internship. The guy called me a month later when he returned and requested something to done by the end of the week and I was like:
“Sorry boss, I don’t work there anymore. I quit like 3 weeks ago. I tried to contact you but you were unreachable and I had a “really” good job offer :p with more money soooo… I’ll stop by next week to get my paycheck.” Which I did eventually :)

The 2nd one was at that internship position. That one was not my fault really. The guy just pushed the wrong button and when something like that happens I won’t talk with that particular person for a long time. That’s just me, I can’t help it. We agreed it was an unpaid internship for 4 months and I wouldn’t get paid but I would get years and years of experience (which I did :) ). I left after 3 months when he did the mistake to shout on me and embarrass me in front of a customer in his office. I quit the same day in the afternoon when I didn’t show up again there. He called me 2 times and left me a message to call him back but I didn’t. That was me back then. Now I have a different philosophy in mind ;) .

December 15, 2013 at 3:25 pm
(66) Niall says:

Should you be paid for the day that you worked? Or is it rude to ask for money when you have left after one day?

December 17, 2013 at 8:40 am
(67) Kasp1978 says:

I just got fired after I told my manager I may be looking for a new job after the 1st of the year. We had a company meeting that day and during my shift that night I was ignored, ridiculed, and whispered about during dinner service and the owners son even joined in, having laughs at my expense, even though I was the only one who spoke up during the meeting, being instantly branded a martyr. I never gave notice I just told her what I “might” be doing. I was told the next day that I didn’t need to come back and that I would have to sign something stating I left on my own and I wouldn’t slander them. I told them to stick the paper where the sun doesn’t shine. I tried to be ethical and they just wanted to look good in front of their other employees by using me as an example.

January 21, 2014 at 5:42 am
(68) Nitin says:

Hi,

I was interviewed in a company and selected me after one month and offered me to join them as soon as possible. So i spoke to my current employer and they advised me to put Resignation letter then they will decide when they can relive me. Then i submit my resignation letter on 15th Jan. On the other side i informed the company (where i was selected) that i have given my resign then the company told me “they want to me to join from next day if you can join us so ok otherwise we have to select someone else” so i confirmed him that ok i’ll join from next day. After my confirmation they informed me they have already selected someone else. Next day when i request to my current employer management to cancel my resign they clearly told me that it’s not possible. I requested to cancel resign only next day from the submission day.

Please help me what should i do.

February 5, 2014 at 12:42 pm
(69) pete says:

I tried quitting three times as I hated the company culture so much. They always undermined my resolve. When I finally walked out, my current job had been dissolved and they wanted to give me a demotion. I thought it only right not to return. .for what? For a job that I didn’t want?

February 5, 2014 at 12:48 pm
(70) Peter says:

I tried quitting three times. They always talked me out of it. Then they dissolved my job and offered me a demotion. I thought it best not to return. For what? To begin a job that I didn’t want?

February 12, 2014 at 4:37 am
(71) Unhappy at work says:

It’s Wednesday morning and I am contemplating on how and when to begin my resignation.

They hired a new manager and he truly wants to prove himself so bad that it has affected everyone at work. Especially productivity, everyone stresses because of him. I know I should know better than to give him attitude after he yells at me. There was NO REASON for him to raise his voice in front of a customer and coworkers. I was just working and then I looked up and there he was standing in front of me giving me attitude and almost demanding and disrespectful. Anyway, its been two weeks since that happened and I have been looking for a job, found one last week and they offered me a job today, exempt and as a staff accountant and one block from my pad! I accepted their offer but I gotta start Monday.

So, now I have been thinking about how to execute this and when. Do I resign today late morning or end of day? Or should I just wait Friday and do it then? I am just very thankful that I can start new. We’re a family at work except the boss and I will miss everyone. I would definitely stay if he wasn’t so bossy and didn’t spend the budget on renovations that are unnecessary. Make your team happy first because they make your life a lot easier and they make you money. No one is getting any raise this year. And I do so much more now than ever because he doesn’t know about our industry. I think in the end, giving them no notice is okay when you’re trying to resign. It is exactly the same as them firing you only this time, you’re firing them! You don’t need them anymore. It may look bad but as long as you’re a high performer in a very uncomfortable unprofessional work environment and you know you’re making the right decision for yourself then that is all one should care about. Wherever you go, there you are. ONLY YOU.

February 28, 2014 at 11:59 pm
(72) ronel says:

I leave my job 3 weeks ago and the company contact me 2 times by fone I didn’t answer, payday come theres nothing in my account, I cal th office the fone is on voicemail, I leave some messages and the lady answer back after some time telling me,” u dont work for me u work for ( company’s name ) “, and that im absconded. I ask her but are u not supposed to go through channels and fire me, she say they cant do that, I must just bring in my uniform and resign so that she can start my provident fund. can I take them to department of labour or ccma or what must I do if I want to start mu uif. I dont want to go back they were treading me to bad

March 3, 2014 at 1:03 pm
(73) Lori Green says:

No. However, my employer forced me to quit after I sent a personal email to a co worker explaining an argument that I had with another co worker and I made the mistake of putting in the words that in the heat of the argument, I said I quit, but the next sentence in email says of course I did not quit. I then was unable to get unemployment, lost my house, my retirement, savings and my reputation in the area is that I quit my job without notice. I showed up to work on time the next work day, did not have argument during working hours.

My manager and I had been having issues for a year and I was fighting hard to keep my job and she knew that.

March 25, 2014 at 10:24 pm
(74) Mike says:

Well, I just had an employee of less than 1 year give me 4 month’s notice. I will not ask him to leave early if he continues to work hard and contribute. I think he knows this about me and that is why he was comfortable with the long notice period. So, it depends on who you work for and how they will handle it. Each situation is different, but I’ve never worked anywhere that they would show me the door the moment I quit, but I am in powerful positions so why would you not want me to transition my work properly.

March 27, 2014 at 9:55 pm
(75) Unhappy says:

I’ve given notice at times where I think it is deserved but have also not given notice at all. I even once resigned from a job I was only in for a few weeks via email and never regretted it once. I was treated like crap and the thought of going there gave me anxiety. Since then I have actually been diagnosed with anxiety and depression.
Now Iam stuck in another shitty job, been there for 4 months now, still haven’t signed any contracts of employment forms, get paid cash in hand with no payslips, have no idea what my hourly rate is (or if I’m getting paid properly for that matter), have had no formal training (they expect my to come watch how things are done in my own time, therefore not getting paid), I even have to call on the day to see what time I start! I’m suppose to work today, but I’m seriously thinking of just not calling therefore not showing up! Some weeks I get a measly 3 hours a week! After 4 months I have not gotten anywhere. This job just makes my anxiety worse and I think I’ve finally decided to not bother anymore my health is not worth it, I go to work with the fear of wondering what I’m going to get told off for this time because I don’t know how things are done properly because I haven’t been trained properly! I believe I owe them nothing.

April 3, 2014 at 5:02 pm
(76) Scott says:

Yes. I had been promised a promotion for a year and a half to keep me engaged on a very intense project that required a lot of work and extra hours.

When it became quite clear that no promotion was forthcoming, I quit the Friday evening before the project was supposed to go live (there were plans to have more than 50+ people work that weekend, many paid consultants) and removed all of my comments from my source code, knowing it would take a long time for someone else to unravel it.

I found out from a friend that the project was not able to go live, my manager’s boss was livid with him for racking up a huge consulting bill and that the manager who had promised me the promotion was fired.

It was the most satisfying revenge I’ve ever gotten. I had a new job within two weeks where I’ve been treated much better, have gotten fair raises and promotions, and would gladly give six months notice before leaving.

April 12, 2014 at 12:01 pm
(77) Treehugger says:

After I received an extremely cruel and untruthful email in the middle of the day, signed by three managers, I could not stop crying. I left that day, not knowing that I would not return. Later, I realized that they had treated me poorly for long enough. After fetching their tea, cleaning up after them and working my butt off for them, they didn’t deserve one more minute of my help. This was the first time in a 27 year career that I did that. I hope it’s the last, because I have learned to recognize signs earlier and start looking when things feel off.

A trusted adviser kept telling me to leave the job, but I insisted that I couldn’t do that to them as we were in the middle of an important project. Never again will I put their needs before my sanity.

April 12, 2014 at 7:22 pm
(78) IC says:

I always give a 2 weeks notices no matter how much I hate that company. However, just last week…something happened that I can never said “I always give a 2 weeks notices”…
I rejected a better offer/benefit and closer company; instead I decided to go to another company (further, no medical after 6 months and no holiday paid off for the first 2 years, 25 miles away from my house) as an Assistant Buyer, only because I want to learn something new. However, I spent my first day to watch their Orientation videos (6~7 hrs long) and they asked me to read SOP and let me go home.
second day (Tuesday) they asked me to go to warehouse to count the inventory and open the samples (which some of them are very big and heavy and I am 5’1″ 110lb female…which can not lift some of the boxes by myself). Me and the other guy were in the warehouse for the whole day…
Wednesday to Thursday, they asked me to clean the files…and they gave me one huge boxes and 4 cabinets, asked me to open each folders (which some of the files are from 2010) and filter each of them.
I went to HR department, I mentioned the duties they assigned are totally irrelevant to the job descriptions they told me before…beside No.15…other responsibilities as assigned. Not to mention the department has overtime about 10 hours a day total, and all I did was kept filtering the files. The HR guy told me if I want to quit just wrote a letter to my supervisor, 2 notices is not mandatory.
Since the company I rejected before still interested in me, so I left the note on her desk and Thursday was my last day.

Sorry about given such detail about my story….but I have a question about if they will pay me for that 4 days? (I think I worked about 36 hrs for sure….due to overtime or 3 days) It has been one week and I have not hear anything from them yet.