Companies seek candidates with both types of skills when hiring for most positions. That's because if you can't get along with others, don't have a positive attitude, can't work well as part of a team, and aren't able to think creatively and critically it may not matter how talented you are.
Indeed.com, the leading job site, has shared the most valuable soft skills for job seekers and employees. Here are the top 7 most important soft skills to have for both interviewing and in the workplace from Indeed's Director of Recruiting, Mike Steinerd:
- Acting as a team player means not only being cooperative, but also displaying strong leadership skills when necessary
- Flexibility is a valuable asset - employees who can adapt to any situation are dependable no matter what's thrown at them
- Effective communication is paramount, and includes articulating oneself well, being a good listener and using appropriate body language
- Problem-solving skills and resourcefulness are critical when unexpected issues inevitably arise
- Accepting feedback and applying lessons learned fosters professional growth
- Confidence is key, but it's important to always have the knowledge and skills to support self-assurance
- Creative thinking is invaluable and drives innovation and increased efficiency
When you're writing resumes and cover letters, it's essential to reference the skills the employer is seeking in your job application materials. The same is true when you're interviewing. Review the job posting, and be prepared to give specific examples of the skills you have (both hard and soft) that are a match for the job requirements.
Also be sure to present your soft skills to the hiring manager. Present your positive attitude and enthusiasm during job interviews. Don't just say that you have the skills the company needs. Instead, exude confidence and show your interviewers, with examples, how you have succeeded on the job. Actions can genuinely speak louder than words - especially in a competitive workplace.
Image Copyright Getty Images Zigy Kaluzny