1. Careers
Alison Doyle

Should You Wear Pantyhose to Work?

By March 8, 2014

When I first wrote about wearing pantyhose to job interviews, I never thought pantyhose would generate so much interest and so many comments. Regardless of what you decide, one way or the other, the next question is what to do once you have the job?

Women - and men - on both sides of the pantyhose fence have lots of opinions on when it's appropriate to work pantyhose to work and to interviews, and when bare legs work just fine.

Here's more on wearing pantyhose at work. And, let us know what you think about pantyhose in the workplace - should you or shouldn't you or doesn't it matter one way or the other?

Read More: Wearing Pantyhose to Work | Wearing Pantyhose to Job Interviews

Image Copyright Alexander Oshvintsev

Comments
April 6, 2012 at 1:07 pm
(1) jenny says:

I detest the things and that includes thigh highs and any other synthetic junk on my legs. Even the expensive ones just don’t seem to “breathe” adequately. I get that men think they are sexy but give me a break. I am married and am not trying to appease men’s sexual appetites while at work. My legs are fine bare and alot more comfortable than sitting for eight hours at my desk in itchy hell.

June 10, 2012 at 7:46 pm
(2) erika gorman says:

I thought the essence of being a woman and the feminity that comes with that means wearing stockings or tights with a dress or skirt to work. But it really is up to each individual woman to make her own decision. I myself, am more comfortable wearing pantyhose , a dress or skirt over slacks or pantsuits, i like feeling feminine and that’s what a dress or skirt does for me everyday. i don;t do it to attract men either.

March 13, 2013 at 1:34 pm
(3) rs says:

bare legs are great at the beach, otherwise even men should wear them

March 18, 2013 at 8:55 am
(4) guitargirl says:

Okay, no, basically bare legs are not appropriate at work. If pantyhose are itchy to you, then wear slacks.

A mini skirt and bare legs really is just inappropriate.

On casual day, I believe a longer “boho” type skirt in hot weather or climate is okay with bare legs. (By longer I mean at least as long as mid-calf). I also think you could probably get away with higher boots and and bare legs if the area between the top of the boot and the hem of the skirt is not more than 4-6 inches.

Sorry, I do believe a place of employment has the right to regulate the appearance of the workforce.

March 24, 2013 at 7:51 am
(5) brooke says:

I love hose! I wear them to work everyday, all year round. I know its a personal choice. But for me I hate bare legs, just a more finished look when a woman wears hose.

March 31, 2013 at 4:23 am
(6) Deanna says:

If you can get away with bare legs at work, then you probably do not have a professional job. I wear pantyhose and skirts everyday, and have found Hanes Silk Reflections comfortable and durable. Do not even think about them most of the time.

April 5, 2013 at 11:02 pm
(7) Tami says:

Pantyhose are classy, elegant, and chic. Nylons make any outfit more complete. Bare legs, lets face it, are tacky and sloppy. It’s time to bring elegance back. I think men would appreciate it, too.

May 3, 2013 at 12:16 pm
(8) M.G. says:

Draconian. Not to mention sexist, itchy, and uncomfortable during the summer, climate controlled office or not.

And, not too pleased to have spent good money for quality high-heeled shoes … to wear on weekends.
Doin’ it, but not diggin’ it …

May 4, 2013 at 2:02 am
(9) Craig says:

Bare legs are barf control with a skirt. Save it for the beach.

May 4, 2013 at 2:06 am
(10) Craig says:

Sorry, but I just saw the comment above that hose were “sexist” Wow, that is amazing. If looking good is anti-woman then I do not understand the other 8 billion websites that are out there.

May 9, 2013 at 8:56 am
(11) Erika says:

the only hose i own is my garden. If someone is going to deny me a job simply because i am not wearing pantyhose then that isn’t the job for me anyways. Toned, tanned and well lotioned legs look (and feel) better than ones covered in itchy netting for sure.

May 11, 2013 at 5:14 pm
(12) gargoylesandpsychics says:

I think they are necessary. I agree with the above poster that bare legs in a skirt (particularly a miniskirt) at work is pretty gross.
I take a woman more seriously if she is wearing pantyhose.

May 31, 2013 at 1:34 am
(13) Quinn says:

How does a man not miss hose and how does a woman think she looks good without them ? Specifically at formal events (weddings) and when wearing dress clothes. My neck hurts from turning hard the other direction every time I see bad bad bad white legs in a skirt. Maybe it is a white woman thing, but white women in bare legs in particular… bad, ugly, gross and somehow the tanning junk doesn’t do it for you. Here’s to dating black girls! :)

June 1, 2013 at 7:25 am
(14) Peter says:

Women always look more polished when they wear hosiery. I would never go out with a women or hire one that doesn’t wear hosiery. Australia had become too casual in every respect of the word these days and you really notice how low-brow the women are compared to many other parts of the world.

July 10, 2013 at 1:50 pm
(15) Liv says:

I refuse to wear pantyhose, thigh highs, or any type of knee high… I hate the way they feel on my skin and I do not care if you can see my scars from softball when I wear a skirt to work… screw pantyhose… They are itchy, uncomfortable… and make me sweaty… I have bought cheap and expensive pairs… and I hate all of them… They make it hard to walk in my shoes… I slip and slide all over the place… and I am always adjusting them… haven’t the 70′s happened… wasn’t there the feminist movement? Why are we still being told we need hose to be more beautiful… screw that… I hear guys say… Hose make your legs look HOT… but then I take them off and it’s like taking off a padded bra… a big freaking lie… I don’t care if my dress should have hose with it… I will go hose less until the day I die.

July 11, 2013 at 12:38 pm
(16) LooksProfessionalAtWork says:

Why is this even a question? If you work in a professional environment then it’s necessary to dress as a professional. This includes pantyhose or stockings if you wear skirts that show any amount of leg. Bare leg is never professional and definitely not for office attire. Well, unless you’re a professional hooker or stripper. I honestly think it’s also disgusting to wear bare feet in high heels as well as uncomfortable and again, it’s a street corner hooker look.

Bare legs with sandals of course! But sandals aren’t for a professional. workplace. Grow up girls/women. If you want a grown up job, act accordingly.

July 19, 2013 at 2:40 am
(17) Vercengetorix says:

Try doing a 50 mile (yes, 50 MILE) road march – in BDUs (thus using the requisite Army underwear).
And at that particular time, in a portion of the combat arms women were not allowed into (and to date STILL are not allowed).
Thus, not really sure why you women complain, or why – as some women have asserted – pantyhose are “oppressive”…
Or like most feminists, do you complain that you should have more “freedom”, yet go immediately running to the protection of others when the big bad world still tells you that you can’t write your name in the snow?

August 15, 2013 at 8:46 pm
(18) Vicki Parsons says:

Panyhose are comfortable for some and unbreathable for others. Some women like to attract men at the work place and some could care less. Wearing panyhose or not does NOT suddenly put a professional label on you! I would venture to say that those women who believe in wearing panty hose to the office are not fit to sport bare legs, in that case by all means wear panty hose! At the workplace the focus should NOT be on legs and panty hose, therefore no one should have the right to force me to wear them to a job. If you wear bare well then wear it, if not get on a pair of panty hose…more importantly just get your job done.

August 18, 2013 at 10:38 pm
(19) Jay says:

It s all part of the casual, let me come to work in pajamas if i want generation. Ghastly tattoos visible everyware, tennis shoes. no pantyhose for women? Fine, then NO socks required for men! Hey, barefeet in shoes for both! Let just throw the whole idea of looking nice out the window. We can all eat uncontrollably, wear whatever we want, and who cares if we attract business or customers! We dont give customer service anymore anyway! WE are doing customers a favor by servicing them! Personally women look better dressed nice and get treated nicer, just like well -dressed men do. IT shows self respect and caring about your health and appearance. But who cares these days! Who hoo!

August 18, 2013 at 10:44 pm
(20) Jay says:

Ok, my last comment was flippant.
I feel self-image and dressing nice makes us feel better about ourselves, and interact with others better. men wear pants and shirts becasue we dont want to see bare bodies at work. Women, if they wear dresses,should do the same. Bare skin at work, doesnt work for the majority of women. If you want to leave clothes off, do it at home, or …dress like men. God bless all!

August 20, 2013 at 1:14 pm
(21) Adm2600 says:

There’s a time and place for everything – I think.

Backyard cookouts… Days in the park… Trips to the store/grocery really do warrant comfort over presentation.

There is a flip side to that coin – though. Work in a professional environment, face to face customer service in an office setting, weddings, funerals, graduations, etc… all those demand the opposite. Trousers – male or female are great. Bare legs? No…

Many, many women in the US have totally abandoned discretion and situational context when it comes to the comfortable, casual bare legged look. Coast to coast – bumpy, blotchy, bruised and veiny-bare legs; every pair, regardless of age, matched to a mind totally confident that she is a goddess who could care less what others think.

December 5, 2013 at 4:22 pm
(22) eric says:

it is cold now i am a man love woman.pantyhose wearing for a man if you have a problem with this you have a problem with your junk.i now wear vanity fair panties awesome.try it better than hanes or fruit of the lumes cotton briefs.i now wear nylon vanity fair panties under my sheer energy pantyhose slacks at work everyday.warm in cold weather and panties are the best.only ones i would wear.

February 1, 2014 at 8:23 am
(23) jason says:

This is 2014 it is time that people accepted letting the men wear the pantyhose.when I met my wife I loved her wearing pantyhose.when she stopped wearing.I started.The other day she caught me wearing pantyhose now I feel better about wearing them because she knows.l would love to wear pantyhose with shorts,or with a skirt for my wife in public. When I see a women wearing pantyhose in public I desire to want to wear pantyhose with her in public.I think men and women should both wear pantyhose to work.

March 29, 2014 at 1:41 am
(24) Me says:

Should women wear pantyhose? Well it’s becoming weird to see them in pantyhose now. Almost like a last century thing. Even the ladies doing television and the news are going without hose these days. I’d say they should tan their legs a bit instead and keep them looking neat and clean. Pantyhose on women these days is starting to look a bit weird. In fact, I was watching a show the other night, and the hostess was wearing some type light colored hose, she usually doesn’t. I actually thought she looked better without hose. The hose made her look fake somehow. Older women still wear them though. Its kind of a carryover from the baby boomer days I guess. But younger ladies have given them up, or they wear leggings with a long shirt instead. It seems a little more natural that way.

One other example was when I went to an event recently, and all, I mean all, the ladies in a dress went without hose. All except one. She had a pair of dark brown tights on, but she just looked so weird compared to all the other women there.

I think it might be a bit of skin tone issue too. Women with naturally darker skin tones tend to look better without hose. Women with paler skin might feel strange going without hose. They should just consider taking better care of their legs and try to tan them a bit. That way they won’t look weird. When you think pantyhose these days, you think older ladies, or little girls playing dress up. Women in their prime aren’t using them. The culture seems to be moving that way. I’d say the ladies that still want to wear them are moving the wrong way culturally.

April 4, 2014 at 10:54 pm
(25) Kayla says:

I have to disagree with you, Vicki (#18)… I think it’s very important for women to look and dress professionally in the workplace, and wearing pantyhose is part of that professionalism. As a 24 year-old woman who is very comfortable with her bare legs being on display normally outside of work, I also realize that when I’m at the workplace, I want to be respected as a woman and I don’t want to give anyone a reason to think of me poorly. So I disagree with your notion that the women who wear pantyhose to work shouldn’t be seen with bare legs anyways… in fact, the other ladies in my office that wear nylons all have well-shaped and toned legs (probably from the high heels we all wear daily), so I think you have it wrong. More importantly, women have come way too far in our progress in society to let an omission in clothing choice get in the way of being treated with the same respect and dignity that any man who dresses professionally does.

I think it’s pretty simple, actually… if you’re a woman, you can either way pants, a dress, or a skirt to work. If you wear one of the latter two, then your legs will show and you should be wearing the proper hosiery. If a man shows up to work in a suit and doesn’t wear socks, that looks just as unprofessional. So why should women have a free pass and a double standard? There’s a sense of dress code that all with any sense conform to, and to not wear pantyhose or stockings with your skirt or dress is just a mistake that will put your professionalism at risk. I don’t know about you, but I want every reason to be thought of and treated well at work. I have a job to do, and while doing that job, if that means I have to wear pantyhose or stockings to be dressed properly for work, then I’m glad to do so. Not to mention, they actually feel really nice on your legs and make your outfits look complete. So frankly, I just think you need to learn how the business world works and stop making us other women look bad.

April 7, 2014 at 3:54 pm
(26) Tina -great legs at 48! says:

I agree with Erika (11) and (#24) Me is right! Does anyone under 75 wear them? I rarely ever see them, at least not in the US! When I do I do a double take. Move on people, let them die… My personal opinion is that skirts more than three inches above the knee is far more inappropriate in a professional setting than no hose. I think class has nothing to do with what’s covering your legs!