1. Careers
Alison Doyle

New York Minimum Wage Increases 2014

By December 27, 2013

The current minimum wage in New York is $7.25 per hour, which is the federal minimum wage. However, the NYS Legislature has passed legislation which will increase the minimum wage from$7.25 per hour to $9.00 per hour over three years, beginning with:

• $8.00on December 31,2013
  • $8.75 on December 31, 2014
  • $9.00 onDecember 31, 2015

The legislation is included in the new budget which was approved on March 29, 2013.

Increases for tipped workers are not included. The current minimum wage in NY for workers who receive tips is currently $4.90 per hour for resort hotel workers, $5 per hour for food service workers, $5.50 for car wash workers, and $5.65 per hour for other service employees.

If tips aren't sufficient to reach minimum wage, the employer is required to pay the employee minimum wage. However, for tipped workers, the minimum wage will remain at $7.25 an hour for now. Reports indicate that an increased will be addressed at a later date.

Read More: How Much is Minimum Wage? | What is the Minimum Wage? |Minimum Wage Increases 2013 | | Minimum Wage Rates 2014 | Minimum Wage Increases 2014

Comments
March 28, 2013 at 1:45 am
(1) Nowmi says:

I’m so disappointed. Someone told me we we were getting increases this year. I was so excited. I also thought it going to be 9 dollars but that’s not until 2016. Many rumours are going around about minimum wage. They’re obviously not true. People are getting there hope’s up for nothing.

March 30, 2013 at 10:59 am
(2) Bskey says:

Increases for tipped workers are not included.- Does this mean that servers won’t be getting ANY wage increase at all???

March 30, 2013 at 11:28 am
(3) Alison Doyle, Job Search Guide says:

From what I’m reading, it appears that increases for tipped workers will be addressed at a later date.

April 1, 2013 at 9:28 am
(4) tmc says:

Sure, when the minimum goes up to $8/hour in NYS, the price of a gallon of gas at that time will end up being NO lower than $4 a gallon. Cost of mass transit goes up too. So, the aggregate costs of living will further decrease your buying power even if you have more money– you will be poorer than you started out. Give with one hand, take with 6 more. By 2016, it should be $10 – $12 an hour. Also, the jobs that pay above minimum wage typically keep sliding down towards that rate as they see no increases. The number of jobs that saw NO wage increase over the last 5+ years skyrockets. The respect you get for doing that job plummets.

April 5, 2013 at 2:50 am
(5) Joe says:

This minimum wage increase would help me out so much! I’m a 22 year old college student living on my own. But my rent so high I have to focus on work more than school. If this goes through I can work less and work more on school work. But in 3 years? That is much father than I thought…

April 8, 2013 at 8:40 am
(6) Darryl says:

@tmc:

Transit prices will not be going up when minimum increases, because I’m pretty sure, at least for CENTRO, the lowest paid employee there makes over $10/hr

April 12, 2013 at 11:37 am
(7) marcy says:

min wage goes up then food prices go up. in my opinion if min wage goes up ALL prices should remain the same which means more people will go and buy clothing etc, stuff that they couldnt afford. raising prices and min wage means right back to square one. what about salaried workers? their pay doesnt increase so will drop them down from upper middle class to lower just to afford higher gas, food etc

April 29, 2013 at 7:47 pm
(8) Rebecca says:

why should people wait until 2015 they need it now .this should go into effect as soon as it is voted on .

May 9, 2013 at 12:09 pm
(9) alex says:

If you are excited about a minimum wage increase you need a better job. ( period ) if you are 16-20 dont B$%ch go to school and/ or work part time or work the crap job until u can get something better. raising minimum wage is NOT going to get you ahead. All this is going to do is raise the prices of everything, lower the number of people companies will employ, and create a balloon of inflation and further unemployment. The lower minimum wage is the more people can be employed. This creates better service, faster service, more affordable products, and leaves room for raises for those who actually deserve them.

Not to mention as minimum wage goes up those of you making 30-50K are actually making less when the inflation goes up, Your pay will stay the same while all the trash and kids will be making more and bogging down the employment system.

I am currently making only 7.75 an hour but guess what i am in school and when i am done i will be making 60k a year to start with full benefits and pension. However i dread the ridiculous notion that raising minimum wage is going to help anyone.

today i was talking to someone about it and said ” they will hire less people” he thought he was so smart and said ” they can afford it ” .. no..they can’t i promise you they can’t.

With ObamaCare around the corner, which btw is a huge expense. They will slash everyones hours to less than 30 in order to avoid paying it, they will limit their number of employees to avoid other ridiculous and otherwise nonsense taxes, and when the pay minimum goes up they will stretch their labor even more to avoid increasing the prices. Eventually they will collapse under the pressure of competition and either go out of business or concede to the idea of , most likely doubling the prices of everything in order to make up the cost difference.

Don’t believe me? just sit back and enjoy your mess you make then. Good luck, cuz I’m thinking of getting out of here before we become europe.

May 22, 2013 at 4:22 pm
(10) JIm says:

Hit the nail on the head Alex, I am a small business owner and my cost will rise and my employes now will not be seeing a raise anytime soon. Most people also forget this is “minimum” wage not a living wage. It is and was never intended to be lived off of. If you own a house have a car and kids this wage is not meant for you.

The biggest problem is most of the people I see coming for a job really do not want to work that hard. It is very hard to find people that will work hard all day and not tray and take advantage of the employer some how.

If you ever took a paper clip or took more time for lunch you have just added to the cost of doing business. I would love to see more people make more if they earn it.

I know most of you do not have my point of view but if any of you ever ran your own business and seen the real cost, you would change your minds and I bet most of you would not even know you changed.

June 1, 2013 at 4:11 am
(11) Ren Jones says:

The people who complain about min wage increase still fail. (a) Min wage needs to match with inflation. And (b) It’s sad as a nation that the income gap between ceo to avg work is at it’s highest ever. If gas can go, cost of living goes up, why can min wage go up? I know min wage is not a livable wage but it’s still a base where some jobs evaluate workers/skiled workers by. One example of someone with skill but might have to start out at min wage is our military folks. There alot of sob stories of many vets, who spent two to four years of military services, to find jobs the could’ve had out of high school. Military EMT’s come to jobs that don’t transfer over skill set. They went to training and schooling, but to the job market it doesn’t matter. They need a job, They need to live, so many of them find low paying/low skill jobs to start. They come to a poor job market with everything increased. They have rent that increase due to cost of living adjustment but not their pay. I say it’s about time to rasie the min wage.

June 22, 2013 at 10:27 pm
(12) Josh says:

Alex you are completely right. I just finished high school and am going to college. Despite this raise in my wage, i realize its not really helping anyone. This whole nation needs to realize that this will only create more inflation and thus lower class, getting paid more with this raise, are in actuality not really getting anywhere. With the increase in min wage, either employers hire less or are forced to raise their prices. Not only does this put more strain on the lower class, but middle class people wont even get a raise. So with inflating prices and no wage change, the middle class gets screwed over. Its common sense to me, why cant others see this? The US isnt doing so hot economically and arent doing a good job to fix it

June 26, 2013 at 5:36 am
(13) chiropractor-orlando.com says:

Hello colleagues, good article and fastidious arguments commented
at this place, I am actually enjoying by these.

July 11, 2013 at 8:05 pm
(14) nysux says:

Well everyone saying that everything will go up when minimum wage does is RIGHT….NY doesn’t give anything for nothing they take take take and give a little but while they give everyones prices go up….why do they go up cause taxes gas food etc p NY is about getting money making the rich richer and the middle class get poorer and the poor are homeless….its so bad that schools are closing or ending activity so what happens with all the tax money from the lotto and the hard working people….gotta get these politicians out they can’t even obey there own laws….NY government is overrun by heartless greedy pieces of crap

July 16, 2013 at 7:29 am
(15) HowieMandel says:

Min. Wage should be lowered, no raised.
Make the min. wage 100 dollars an hour. Gas will go to 200 hundred a gallon, an average car will call cost 60 thousand, a loaf of bread will cost 200 dollars….
What would things cost if 3 dollars an hour was the min. wage.
Use your heads clearly and dont let greed get in your way.

August 22, 2013 at 6:36 pm
(16) lindsay says:

For Alex your point is valid however even in the current job market people with education still cant find jobs sooo be careful what you say you never know if after college you wont still be working that minimum wage job with the “trash and kids”

September 21, 2013 at 6:36 pm
(17) sorin says:

At $7,25 an hour you’ll be qualified for other benefits like food stamps and section 8 apartment so the real wage is much higher if you include those things, you do not have to pay full rent or basic food.If you make 10 $ an hour like I’m making right now you’ll not be qulified for anything so you’ll be better off an minimum wage instead and have all the benefits including medicaid too. So better be very low then having a little higher income.

September 26, 2013 at 10:40 am
(18) Mmmmmmmmm says:

Why hasn’t anyone done an inflation check? Some numbers to chew on…the federal minimum wage in 1978 was $2.65; adjusted to 2012 it’s $9.20. Up until that time, minimum wage adjusted for current dollars paid more than $8.50/hour. After 1978, minimum wage drops (not in actual dollars, in inflation adjusted dollars). The problem is not minimum wage, it’s greed. The people at the top do not want most of the money, they want ALL of the money. Highly intelligent and skilled people are not being properly compensated when the cost of college is at a ridiculous all time high. Alex, I hope you have connections or I fear you will have to settle for much less than the $60,000/year you expect.

October 18, 2013 at 9:27 am
(19) Colleen says:

Just remember the more you make the more they take out of your pay for taxes so your never getting ahead.

December 4, 2013 at 12:26 pm
(20) Pamela says:

as if this will help, $9.00 hr in THREE YEARS? In three years $9.00 an hr will be no different than $7.25 …. gee thanks!

December 4, 2013 at 1:28 pm
(21) Mike says:

Well, we’re screwed. Higher minimum wage means less likely employment. Looks like my Dad is gonna lose his and I have no chances now of acquiring my own.

December 5, 2013 at 9:08 am
(22) tsk tsk alex and jIm says:

I went to college
i enlisted in the air force. both centered around idea of having a career In comunications..but guess what.it does not matter. im currently flipping burgers. have been for years now with out getting raises(and im always emp-of-month) When i do work of 3 people. greedy biz owner fires 2 and triples my load..keepin me at min.
as far as college everyone has the same ideas….i hope when you try for your 60K job you dont succede because over 500 equally skilled/educated applicants try for same 1 job

December 19, 2013 at 7:57 am
(23) Nickel says:

Most of you guys dont live in nyc where the prices is sky rocket for everything. I work 7 hours each day and go to high school and after tax my pay is 140-150. I have to wait six months to get a 25c raise. 8 dollars will really help

December 29, 2013 at 1:08 am
(24) Diana says:

If the minimum wage was adjusted for inflation it would be around $10. Honestly all other goods and services have already rose while the minimum wage was stagnant. Yes it will be bad that a small business owner would have to pay their employees more, but if everyone received a pay increase they would have money to put back in the economy. Thereby stimulating the economy and allowing small businesses to cope with the added expenses. I’ve studied policy and i know what I’m talking about
By the way ALEX at least your able to say that you can be in school, but what about all the other people who work at Walmart who can barely afford an apartment.

December 29, 2013 at 6:02 pm
(25) Ellen says:

Small businesses that can’t afford the increases will have to close their doors. Now the people who had a job at $7.25 will be unemployed. The people who make these decisions don’t have or never have had a small business. It’s hard enough to keep a small business open these days as it is, to now have to pay a larger payroll will force people to cut hours or shut down. The big businesses that can afford to should pay better wages. As a small business owner I will have to make cuts to make up for this or raise my prices.

December 31, 2013 at 10:27 am
(26) Serena says:

Let’s look at this logically. All you people saying if the min wage goes up small businesses will hire less are not looking at the big picture. People will have more disposable income and will go out to eat more, shop more, etc. which will help the business owner drive in more customers who now have more money to spend than thy did.

December 31, 2013 at 11:24 pm
(27) Jeff says:

A business needs to make a certain amount of money to succeed. Money is needed for taxes, utilities, reinvestment in the business, supplies, payroll etc.. If any of these expenses go up then the business needs to cover these costs. The easiest one that can be adjusted is payroll. This results in less hours or less employees or both. Also major businesses such as those on the NYSE have shareholders to answer to. They need a certain amount of return to satisfy them. The easiest way once again is payroll adjustment. If all prices for goods and services stayed constant then a raise in the min. wage would work. However, as we all know, due to various reasons both within our control and outside of it affect prices. As prices increase which they most likely always do businesses have to cover them and payroll is the easiest way.

January 1, 2014 at 5:03 pm
(28) Shaun says:

When minimum wage goes up will people who are already making 8 or more an hour. Will theirs go up as well?

January 1, 2014 at 8:17 pm
(29) Chantal says:

Minimum wage will not increase prices….plenty of other countries have a much higher minimum wage and they don’t even have to raise prices on items much more then a few cents

If a business can only survive by paying their workers a slave wage in which they cannot even survive without government assistance despite their full time position…then that business has no right to even operate

January 2, 2014 at 2:24 pm
(30) DE says:

REALLY. 3 YEARS FOR THESE POOR PEOPLE TO EARN $9 AN HOUR.

THE NYS LEGISLATURE – WOULD THEY VOTE THEMSELVES A RAISE AND WAIT THREE YEARS FOR IT TO FULLY KICK IN? NO THEY WOULD NOT. THE KEY IS “THEY” VOTE THEMSELVES RAISES…..NO ONE OVERSEES WHAT THEY DO UNTIL IT IS DONE.

SHAME ON THEM. IN THIS ECONOMY, DO THEY REALLY THINK THEY ARE DOING THESE POOR PEOPLE WHO BUST THEIR HUMPS WORKING FOR $8.00 PER HOUR……..ONLY IN NYS.

January 3, 2014 at 6:34 pm
(31) Stella says:

I understand what everyone’s saying about everything else increasing along with minimum wage, & I agree. But it’s only increasing this year by .75. Although I realize this will make a difference, it could be much worse. As a college student trying to achieve my degree, pay for school & loans, and supply basic needs for myself away from home, I personally am excited that I will be getting paid more than I am right now. It will allow me to save up a little more money so that I can use it towards my future, along with helping me pay for these incredibly expensive textbooks. Think about it though, so many people are living under hard conditions and are unable to find legitimate jobs that can support them & their families. Maybe these slight raises will allow people to be able to support themselves a little better, and work towards a more promising career. Like I said, I understand that this will do some harm, but at the same time it may be able to do some good too. Don’t knock it just yet, the results may surprise you! Or they may not, I guess we’ll just have to sit back, wait, and see.

January 6, 2014 at 11:12 am
(32) Khalid says:

They take 3 years to raise minimum wage to a measly $9 per hour? Is anyone aware that just to rent a single room in a boro of NYC costs $650 nowadays? SMH 3 years is enough time for them to adjust food and gas prices to where you get a raise ‘on paper’ but the money really doesn’t change anything in your life.

January 6, 2014 at 2:30 pm
(33) Matt says:

Earn your raise, don’t expect someone to do it for you

January 8, 2014 at 12:34 am
(34) kevin says:

Some people work hard and don’t get a raise just to let you all know. Ohh go to school! Some people don’t have that option. Shame on all of you people that think getting an education just appears out of no where without any consequences. Btw, I hope you make that 60k right out of college and I wish you big luck with that, seriously…don’t be a fool and talk down on others because you are expecting to make more that everyone else who didn’t goto school. It’s easier said than done…ever hear that before? Life is hard and I hope they put this into play soon. By the way I don’t make minimum wage, for a lot of others its the only option temporarily.

January 16, 2014 at 1:42 am
(35) Rishi C. says:

People are getting good jobs through people they know. Not what they know. I made more when I was in high school 15yrs ago. Foreclosure, divorce, now bad credit; can’t find a decent paying job I’m good at to help pay child support, rent, car insurance, cell phone, food. Don’t qualify for food stamps cause I make $9hr. Unbelievable Coming out of college making 60k; u must KNOW someone
Also, with all the illegals working with fake socials, where does that money go?

January 17, 2014 at 8:13 am
(36) Jorge A. says:

@ Rishi C. The undocumented immigrants work with valid numbers from living or deceased citizens. They do however work with a fake card. You simply have your name in place. They pay into the social security fund but they cannot, obviously, collect it when the time comes, nor can the person whose number it belongs to. Win/win for the government haha.

January 18, 2014 at 11:57 pm
(37) Luis says:

I’m still iffy about this, but I think that it’ll do more good than bad to us college students. Will make enough to cover the cost of tuition and saved enough money to buy books that we need. But on the other hand raising the minimum wage to 9/hr won’t be enough for people who pay rent, which is why most of them settle for jobs that pay a little more higher. I still think the minimum wage should be somewhere in the range of 10-11, but given how vastly poor the economy is today, that won’t happen. Or maybe i’m wrong…hopefully

January 29, 2014 at 8:14 am
(38) mike says:

Ok so here is the facts of it! The cost of living continues to rise with min wage standing still. It’s not min wage the drives up the cost of living, its corporate greed… Ok let me put it this way. For min wage to go up from 7.25 to say 10 an hr, you worry about the price of food and gas going up with it, the fact of the matter is, gas can go up by 1cent a gallon and the gas station can afford to pay the employees the new min wage. Same with the grocery store. They can raise the price by pennies and it will cover peoples wages. So you just jumped from $7.25 to $10 and you are paying 1 cent more for gas and 1 cent more for every thing you buy at the grocery store. Well your raise will still cover far more than your paying so you can buy more things you couldn’t afford before. If products go up by more than minimal pennies its because corporations see an opportunity to jack the price up because you already believe that that’s what happens when min wage goes up. If the case were, the cost of living goes up by that much when min wage does, then corporations wouldn’t be profiting at a hire rate than ever. Use your heads…. It’s true that it would affect small businesses if they paid min wage, but how many small businesses do you know that pay min wage? the problem is that most companies are corporations and don’t give people raises for what they are worth. All these corporations pay a set rate and have very small yearly raises. The fact is that if they paid what people are worth then they can down size the amount of employees because they would have the hardest workers that get more work done. If you have 30 employees making $10hr doing the bare min cause they know that’s all they are getting, and 15 people making $18hr getting the same job done because they work harder, the company is paying out less and the employee is making good money (what he/she is worth) and the same amount of work gets done. But no body does that anymore.

January 29, 2014 at 5:26 pm
(39) cward says:

it should be everyone gets a raise, even if at a higher rate it should be raised the rate of the new wage as well, if not dont raise it i work hard to b where i at not to have them be just $4 below me , not fair .

February 6, 2014 at 7:32 pm
(40) Mel says:

Many people below me are NOT INFORMED CORRECTLY…. Minimum wage will increase throughout 3 years, but the PRICES OF EVERYTHING ELSE WILL REMAIN THE SAME. This includes; food, clothes, materials, etc. Giving people who earn minimum wage a better advantage.
If not the economy will continue the same and inflation will occur. Do research before you state false information for people to read.

February 6, 2014 at 7:36 pm
(41) Mel says:

Incorrect information from some people below. MINIMUM WAGE WILL INCREASE BUT THE PRICES OF EVERYTHING ELSE WILL REMAIN THE SAME. No Inflation. Do research before you state incorrect information for others to read.

February 11, 2014 at 2:34 pm
(42) Jaharah says:

Minimum wage should be WAY more. I live in NYC and make 12.00/hr and that is not enough. I barley live paycheck to paycheck. I can’t afford a regular apartment so I am in an SRO which I moved into from a homeless shelter. But I have to pay $517.00 which takes a whole check plus part of another check(I only get 2 checks a month) You put food, metro, phone bill, and personal items on top of that and what is left. NOTHING. I have no medical can’t afford it, need glasses can’t afford them. I am thankful for the bit I have but it would be better if minimum wage were at least 15.00/hr

February 22, 2014 at 10:00 am
(43) Alyse says:

I’m a hairdresser, at my job we make 8.50 an hour plus tips. The tips are horrible because I work in one of those corporate salons. People go to my job because the haircuts are cheap. Most likely my job won’t be apart of the wage increase. Most likely most corporations will find a loophole to either not have to pay the increase or they will just keep hiring more people and give less hours. Like what happened with Obama Care.

March 3, 2014 at 2:18 pm
(44) Moe says:

Even if you make it $10.10 How you live with that let’s see I have 2 children and me my wife my rent is $1650 for 2 bedroom’s apt with out any bills or anything if I work 40 hours a week i will be making $404 a week means $1616 a month before tex!!! after Tex end up about$1300 I can’t even pay my rent!! Mr Obama can you please take my pay check and manage your life with 2 kids!! There is no job’s at all only for cretin pepole you are destroying the middleclass pepole its not fair !!!

March 13, 2014 at 3:39 pm
(45) lisa says:

I think that when minimum wage goes up people that worked to get a higher pay should see a raise in their pay as well its really not fair that people work so hard to get up in pay and when the wage goes up our pay stays the same.