1. Careers
Alison Doyle

Unemployment Extended Benefits Ending

By October 12, 2013

As we head towards the end of the year, federal extended unemployment programs are phasing out. Unless Congress reauthorizes an extension of federally funded unemployment compensation, the only benefits unemployed workers will be eligible for is up to 26 weeks of state unemployment.

The federal government has traditionally provided long term unemployment benefits which are in addition to state benefits. This changed when legislation was passed in January providing for extended unemployment benefits for the remainder of 2013.

If you're unemployed and not sure how the changes impact you, check your state unemployment website for details. States are starting to provide advance notice of benefit cuts. For example, California posted the following update:

• As we get closer to the end of the year, the weeks of federal extensions will continue to wind down and most eligible unemployed workers will not qualify for any or all of the federal extensions currently available. For example, the majority of unemployed workers that start a regular unemployment claim (26 weeks) in the beginning of July 2013 will not qualify for any EUC federal extensions when their regular claim ends due to the scheduled end of the EUC federal extensions on December 28, 2013.

Congress may reauthorize federal benefits for 2014, but if they do it probably won't be until later on and it may go down to the wire like it did last year. This means that unemployed workers have no guarantee of receiving any benefits beyond state unemployment benefits after the end of the year.

Video: What is an Unemployment Extension

Read More: Unemployment 2013 | Unemployment Benefits | Extended Unemployment Benefits | Unemployment Extension 2014

Comments
October 1, 2012 at 8:32 pm
(1) Jane says:

What a tragedy for so many people!

October 23, 2012 at 12:21 am
(2) S. Shrtl says:

It is almost 12 midnight here in a small coffee shop here in Connecticut.
I come here once a week to use the free internet, laptop and get my free cup of coffee from a kind sole behind the counter. Today was especially hard for me because the two interviews I went on within past days concluded by company response, each position and requisition was being abandoned for 2012. They are opting to send the open positions out to China as a cost savings approach. My younger son and daughter today told me not to worry as I updated them on our financial status knowing the unemployment Federal Extensions will be non existent at the end of December 2012. They remain upbeat and keep me going in a positive direction because they know that is the way their mother would have wanted it. Ironic how things happen in life, the same time the federal unemployment extensions run out in 2012 couples perfect with the anniversary of a loved ones passing. The government beat my wife on that event too. It is true no medical insurance and Job will kill a person pretty effectively. During tonight’s presidential debate I saw no guilt by either man but continue to watch how congress votes in their pay raises once a year in a record setting voting session that lasts about 5 minutes with both parties coming together unanimously without argument. Friday this week the bank will present me with their final foreclosure paper work as we head for winter here in Connecticut and our government turns colder.

November 30, 2012 at 11:27 pm
(3) David I says:

At the end of this year… my daughter and I will be homeless because the federal extension ends Dec. 29th . As I sit here and watch her soooo comfortably watching her Disney channel… I can’t stop woundering what our future hold next month. I got sole custody of her a year and a half ago after her mother quitted on her. My daughter is 8 years old…. and I’m terrified……. I pray and pray…

December 1, 2012 at 1:19 am
(4) Nikki says:

I’ve wondered why there isn’t more concern about this?
There are so many people who will not be able to provide roofs for their families.
It is so sad.
I live in California, prices for everything seem to continually rise.
I am single mother with no family to live with once my extension ends. I search for a job but I havent found one.
My heart and prayers go out to you all!!

December 2, 2012 at 1:30 am
(5) David I. says:

Nikki… I’ll pray for you and hope God will answer everybody’s prayers. Being a single parent makes it even that much harder.. sincerely single parent dad lost in San Diego.

December 2, 2012 at 4:41 am
(6) Kris says:

I can’t believe that there isn’t more outrage over this. I have been unemployed for 10 months constantly looking for a job. Being a single mom I too am concerned with what will happen when unemployment runs out in 4 weeks. David and Nikki I pray for you as well. Where is the help that we need?

December 5, 2012 at 2:12 pm
(7) Michele says:

This is tragic. Against my decision and preference, I am a single mother of three – the youngest only 9 months old. My estranged husband has never even seen the baby. In fact, he told me to “get rid of her” when I informed him that I was pregnant. That followed a job loss, another dead end relationship and one disappointed “position filled” comment after another. I can’t believe unemployment is ending in just a few short weeks. It just keeps going from bad to worse. I have NO clue what we’re going to do come the end of the month. Still, God works miracles. I know that if I have faith, then He will see us through this one, too.

December 12, 2012 at 10:28 pm
(8) Gina says:

I can’t believe its almost Christmas and the government can’t let all of us know something about extending our unemployment . I have hope that they will do something soon so we can not have to be worried where we will go.

December 15, 2012 at 6:06 pm
(9) Ron says:

Yeah it does suck. I saw an article that said extended benefits promotes laziness and dependency. I disagree! I worked for my last employer for 3 years and made TONS of money. I didn’t miss a single day and was NEVER late. I worked my butt off then lost my job in July (through no fault of my own) and have been doing everything I can to find a job. Nobody is hiring me! I get a couple $100 a week from UE, but compared to the thousands I use to get, I’m barely surviving. I just found out this week that I can’t even file for extended benefits when my 26 weeks runs out in the next two weeks. I’m pretty much screwed. I’m also paying for school, so not only will I have to drop out if I don’t find a job fast enough, I’ll also be on the street too. I don’t see how so many people are against UE when the money for it is taken out of your OWN check. I mean you can get it, if you haven’t worked before. That being said, last year when I was working I was HAMMERED with taxes around this time. I was getting tons of taxes taken out of every check. I’m talking hundreds of dollars per check and I was furious. I ended up making more money not working overtime than working the OT. And now that I’m on the opposite side of the fence, ironically I’m getting screwed again this year.

December 18, 2012 at 5:20 pm
(10) unemployed Nurse says:

I am a Skilled Experienced Licensed Nurse. I have been unemployed For over a year.. I have not had health insurance since 2002 . I submit applications at a rate over 25 per week. Every Week . It is Obsurd.. With the Mental Health conditions in the country today , it is obvious that we need Mental Health Nurses.. Our government is not concerned with preventive health or catastraphic situatons.. My skills and experience is stagnating.. I abhore to think that recent shootings could have been prevented with increased Mental Heath Clinics staffed by Experienced Mental Health Nurses and other Professionals.

December 19, 2012 at 10:50 pm
(11) Tony says:

Its sad ive been unemployed for 9 months and i have 2 daughters how will i survive i worked 14 years straight never had have gotten unemployment so sad that our government could just do that to us

December 23, 2012 at 8:35 am
(12) lindz says:

Ron- Have you looked in to a section 30? This promotes education training while collecting unemployment benefits. Good luck to you all. I’ll be praying endlessly. xoxo

December 26, 2012 at 2:01 pm
(13) David says:

For California residents, the EDD website states that “MOST eligible unemployed workers will not qualify for any or all of the federal extensions (Tiers 1 – 4). The majority of unemployed workers with a regular claim who qualified for 26 weeks of regular unemployment benefits, claimed full weeks of benefits since the start of their claims, and had no breaks in collecting benefits (i.e., returned to work) could anticipate the following based on when their regular claim started:

For regular claims that started after February 2012, the majority of unemployed workers may potentially qualify for up to 14 weeks in Tier 1 when their regular claim ends but not the maximum benefits available in Tiers 2-4.

This according to the EDD is only available to unemployed persons who filed after February 2012 and before mid-August 2012.

October 23, 2013 at 9:53 pm
(14) David says:

solution for this tragic nonsense?call ur congressman and tell them unless they pass legislation for federal extensions…………..we will vote them out………in all phases….. my state is mostly democrat they were voted in and they can also be voted out

November 24, 2013 at 10:10 pm
(15) tony says:

Ive been on unemployment for 7 months and was told at the end of dec its over I don’t get it I worked 13years and can’t even get the money I need and that I worked for once they cut it everyone is just going to havr to get foodstamps and welfare so the goverment is still going to have to help people why not do it right and pay them what they worked for the

December 16, 2013 at 10:47 am
(16) sandy says:

great called to put unemployment in for the week and I exhausted all my benefits the week before xmas thank you very much crap now what do I do theres no help out there I;ve been on the phone all morning

December 24, 2013 at 11:49 am
(17) Geri B says:

According to the Michigan unemployment Website, not only will I not receive benefits, but I won’t even get the 26 weeks….I was supposed to be getting benefits through February….what the heck! Michigan still has the highest unemployment rate and there are no jobs for seasoned workers…PERIOD!

I don’t want a hand out, but while I’m avidly job searching I should get what I paid into the system for!

Now instead of a Merry Christmas, I get to stress over which box to live out of!

January 1, 2014 at 1:27 pm
(18) Worried in NM says:

It really bothers me that my state decided not to even tell its unemployment recipients about the cut back until, Dec 28th the last day to file. Seriously they did not tell us till the last day to file. No warning, so scared!!!!

January 5, 2014 at 8:00 am
(19) Janice says:

Thought people should know (I am in Massachusetts) … this morning I went into our state’s online unemployment system to file a claim, even though it’s after 12/31 and I was told not to …. just to see what happens. After going through the filing steps as usual I got a message saying that my “potential payment is $300.00″ unless there is other “action” on my claim … so perhaps that means we in Mass. will be getting money this week after all. It usually direct deposits Tuesday. (On the other hand, my unemployment benefit is usually more than $300, so I’m not sure what’s going on). The lesson: I’m glad I didn’t listen to “Ashley” from the UI office, and filed as usual today. I will let people know if the money actually arrives.

January 19, 2014 at 12:10 pm
(20) kelly says:

Im on section 30 and still in schol til march. They stopped my benefits jan 18. The originally says my unemploymet claim ends april 2014. I have no money no food behind on rent. I checked the site again because i had to resend my section 30. it shows its pending now but no straight answers. This is ridiculous. I just want to finish school and be done with all this.