1. Careers
Alison Doyle

California Minimum Wage Increases 2014

By September 26, 2013

Governor Jerry Brown has signed legislation (AB 10) to increase California's minimum wage to $10 an hour. This will be the highest minimum wage in the U.S., followed by Washington at $9.29 per hour.

The legislation increases the current state minimum wage of $8 an hour to $9 on July 1, 2014 and to $10 per hour on January 1, 2016. Legislation passed in the both the Senate and Assembly.

Governor Brown said, "The minimum wage has not kept pace with rising costs. This legislation is overdue and will help families that are struggling in this harsh economy."

Read More: How Much is Minimum Wage? | What is the Minimum Wage? | Minimum Wage Increases 2013 | Minimum Wage Rates 2014

Comments
September 14, 2013 at 1:18 pm
(1) robert says:

Why wait till 2016 to get a dam raise …all the people
That are collecting welfare gets what they want cause
Us taxpayers but we have to wait for a raise !!!

September 15, 2013 at 2:37 am
(2) C. Pisser says:

If minimum wages increase would be a bad example to own a business in US.

September 15, 2013 at 5:11 pm
(3) Eve says:

It is high time the average worker who works some of the hardest jobs with little recognition get at the least a more liveable wage. I personally work two part time jobs and still struggle to get just the basics of life. And employers are demanding more and more work at less and less hours. It is an embarrassment to this country that its citizens can not take care of their very basic needs. I love my country, but get real already! Who could live on $8.00 an hour and keep a roof over their head, gas in the car, and food on the table?

September 17, 2013 at 7:56 pm
(4) al daves says:

I agree, minimum wage.should increase…but needs to happen now not later…its hard enough to find work in ca , at least with $10 an hour a person might stand a chance to be able to pay bills and keep their head above water. If our government really knows whats good for Americans they will raise minimum wage, our country has no problem helping other countries isnt only right to help their own too?

September 21, 2013 at 12:40 am
(5) Keith says:

I own several business that have not turned a profit for 5 years. This raise is just “wonderful” news. My restaurant has servers making $8 minimum wage and tips for between $12 – $25 an hour. This new law has made my mind up….I’m laying off my whole wait staff and going to a fast casual counter service with IPad ordering and one person to assist behind the counter. I will pay her/him $17.50 to $20 an hour to get a really top rate person. This will lower my hourly wage in the restaurant with FICA, SUI, unemployment insurance etc by 5 people times $8 times a tax factor of $1.34 for every dollar paid. (Employer rate of $1.18 is actually the $1.34 because of employer share of gov’t fees on TIPS! I I will save hourly $30.44 ($53.6 minus new cost of $20*1.1 8= $23.16) Net job gain/loss MINUS 4 people. Good job California!

September 25, 2013 at 3:05 pm
(6) Steven Marks says:

As a restaurant owner this is what happens- there is no tip credit in California. The highest paid employees get a raise while the lowest paid get nothing. The waiters and bartenders who make $25 to $35 dollars an hour get the raise. The lowest paid kitchen staff receive nothing due to the expense. Brilliant!

September 26, 2013 at 2:14 am
(7) c says:

Im a waitress in a small resturant. After taxes and tiping the kitchen staff theres days i make less than minimum wage! We dont get benifits or paid holidays or paid vacations so those that want to act like its not fair for wait staff or bartenders to get a raise need to know what your talking about. I cant afford to take care of my children and put a roof over their head. I LIVE DAY TO DAY NOT EVEN PAYCHECK to PAYCHECK!!!! Thank god i get help some help from their father but there isn’t much food in the house and i am always struggling to pay bills. Heat would be so nice to have every nite its cold. I live with someone else because i cant afford to live! Theres no average anymore. Your rich or poor. I miss haveing a my own house and a little stability and security. Im not seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. Many, many, many americans are struggling and work hard just to barely survive. I live in a small area and it used to be so cheap here. Now, its like living in a big city on minimum wage by yourself with children. Who can do it.? Alot of jobs around dont get a cost of living raise so minimum wage going up needs to happen!!!!! It needs to keep up with the cost of living. HELLO!!

October 23, 2013 at 1:35 pm
(8) bob says:

Let’s make California the highest minimum wage in the country and watch businesses and jobs leave the sate. Watch the existing businesses increase prices to compensate for higher costs. Watch small businesses close or layoff works to compensate for higher costs.

October 24, 2013 at 4:51 pm
(9) Mayin says:

People don’t have any idea of the back fire of increasing minimum was when minimum wage increases lots of people get laid off, and the employees left have to do twice the job they had before.
so what is after that milk for 7 dollars per gallon

November 14, 2013 at 3:17 pm
(10) Steve says:

Your not suppose to be able to raise a family on minimum wage, it is for entry level jobs. If you don’t like it learn to do something that pays more.
So we’re suppose to pay a high school kid working at McDonalds flippin burgers enough to support a family?

November 15, 2013 at 12:05 pm
(11) Nicole says:

ENTRY LEVEL JOBS!!!! If you want to make more…do more. California is by far the greediest and dumbest state in the nation when it comes to helping the non-workers/welfare recipients get richer and hardworkers/people providing jobs get poorer…I work in HR and we pay based on experience not just education…our ag field guys that have experience make $17.00 and hour, our 18 year old stocker fresh out of high school makes minimum wage…ENTRY LEVEL! To me California is the Robin Hood of the USA

November 16, 2013 at 2:33 am
(12) Hey says:

Yesss, that’s great & everything. But we need that money now. NOT later. In 2016 we should be getting $11.00. At least.. It’s sad to get ur hopes up for something. Then get it shattered by hearing ur gonna just have to wait for the change even longer. THE CHANGE NEEDS TO BE NOW!!!!!!! We are the REAL people living in this cold world. Let us feel a change instead of hearing about it.

November 22, 2013 at 10:15 pm
(13) deb elliott says:

Here’s a thought…I started my curent job at $5 an hour when minimum wage was $4.25 an hour…fast forward to today…I’m making $16 an hour…now minimum is going to $10…soon I will be just over minimum wage AGAIN…THAT SUCKS…cause our raises aren’t keeping up with cost of living either…

November 26, 2013 at 6:21 pm
(14) Mike says:

I own a small restaurant and currently have 5 of my 9 employees making above min wage. Once this increase goes into effect I will have 2 employees making above min wage but not by much. Instead of making 1.5 times min wage they will be making 1.2 time min wage. There are only so many dollars available for payroll. If I have to pay the avg newbie worker $10 I have less dollars to pay my long time amazing workers more. Even without increasing everyone’s wage I will still have to increase prices because my food cost will go up as well. This will decrease the number of my weekly transactions which will cause me to layoff or decrease hours. The end result is less money for everyone. There is one winner with this increase and that is the government. By increasing min wage they will collect more taxes. So now they will have more money to hand out to the deadbeats of society who choose not to work.

December 10, 2013 at 11:32 am
(15) Don says:

I see valid points in everyone’s arguments, it would be nice if everyone got the increase even people without minimum wage jobs. I know I have gotten promoted before at a job where I started out at minimum wage, then there was an increase and it made it seem like I had never received a raise and was now doing a tougher job. If everyone got the raise though small businesses that where either barely making it by would suffer, lets face it there are a lot of businesses out there that probably shouldn’t be and will fail with minimum wage going up, maybe some of the cost of living should go down, it is ridiculous what some of these apartments charge for rent, especially when you can hear every neighbor and their neighbor and so on.

December 18, 2013 at 8:06 pm
(16) donna says:

currently a couple with kids working full time at ‘min. wage’ has to rely on the govt. for things like health care, food stamps etc. because these min. wage jobs also have min. benefits.
so the big corps., big box stores, fast food rest. save billions on wages and benefits, while the govt. (that’s you and me!) has to pick up the slack.
seems the govt. should be the first to advocate an increase in the min. wage!
seems those aforementioned corps. are the real welfare cheats!

December 21, 2013 at 11:28 am
(17) Cynthia Rudd says:

I have been working for minimum wage for the past year and an half. I have never worked so hard in my life for so little pay. The employer’s don’t care because they will get someone eles to work, if you don’t like it. I think all minimum wage workers should go on strike until it is at least $10 and hour. I am sure ther people that are “talking this out” are making well over minimum wage and have know idea how it is to pay rent {“which is so far out there”) are living just fine in their homes not worry about where their next meal will come from. Let them all work for this for one day and I am sure things will move faster. Why do you think people are getting help through the state? GR, food stamps, CDR ect. It is beyound words. Get it to $10 an hour and maybe some people can live without being begging, stealing and working two jobs to make ends meet!!!!!!!!!!!

December 28, 2013 at 1:56 am
(18) The Truth Hurts says:

I agree w/ Cynthia; the ones complaining are making well over minimum wage. Those people need to do the math: $8/hr X40=$320/week-taxes=barely able to make ends meet! Don’t be so cheap & complain about paying an extra $1/hr. It’s about time!

January 1, 2014 at 1:27 am
(19) Steve says:

Ya, your right I do make more than minimum wage and I barely have a high school education but when I was in high school I was smart enough to realize I needed to learn a skill that would pay the bills and I did. I learned to weld. I busted my butt learning everything I could and when I got out of high school I was earning more than minimum wage. I got a welding job while continuing going to the community college. Almost anywhere you are you can learn skills to get higher pay through H.S., ROP or community colleges, the problem with most people complaining about too low minimum wage is they won’t go out and learn a skill to better themselves for some reason. You need to learn how to do something, anything, that is in demand and not just anyone can do then you will get more money and you won’t have to worry about what minimum wage is

January 1, 2014 at 1:37 pm
(20) Michelle says:

Been living in California for four months. Already planning my move back to Canada, the pay is horrible and health care ridiculous in California.

January 15, 2014 at 6:58 pm
(21) Michael says:

I remember when I was growing up, working minimum wage at a lot of jobs were entry level, and/or part time jobs. You use it to build on experience and move up. If you think your minimum wage job should get you the American dream then your dreaming. Go back to school part time, increase your education, and move up with a better job. Don’t work at an entry level jobs year after year and complain. America is a free society. If you don’t like where you live, move. If you don’t like your job, get another one. Our country is breaking down because we have too many people who feel entitled.

January 21, 2014 at 2:23 am
(22) Colleen says:

It took Congress how many years to raise the minimum wage just a few years ago….what 30 yrs? (thereabouts) But has Congress been getting, or should I say giving themselves raises? I have been working since the 70′s, when there were jobs available, and you could advance. You had a choice then, even into the 80′s to get educated to advance. And look at the cost of living then compared to now. Now…..#1, no one can afford to go to school, #2, if your lucky enough to have parents that can afford to put you thru school, good for you! However…..how many college grads are actually working for their “educated worth”? Minimum paying jobs is all they are able to find. I was one of the unfortunates that was laid off my job after many years, then another, then another. Now I’m considered too old to work, even though I have many years before collecting social security. Most employers are paying their employees 1/2 the salary now that the same job was paying in the 70′s & 80′s. With our economy’s cost of living, no one can even live on a minimum wage increase to $10 hr unless they are being supported by others. Takes 4 jobs (2 for each partner) to “make ends meet”!!! You are either in that 1% that make it, or the 99% that struggle to eat! REDICULOUS!!!

February 7, 2014 at 2:15 pm
(23) flores says:

It is just that wonderful feeling of a raise!..i live paycheck to paycheck, I am a front desk clerk at a hotel with NO paid vacations, NO holidays paid , simply this past year i had to work Dec.24th and 25th, 31st, and Jan 1st without spending any of those days entirely with my loved ones but certainly cannot afford to miss a day from work at $8.00 an hour i barely make it! It is definetly not unfair because we pay taxes as well , unlikely people who receive welfare and do not make an effort in searching for a job meanwhile we are busting our behinds for them to get a monthly check!

February 10, 2014 at 1:42 pm
(24) amazed says:

“I can’t live off 8 an hour….who can do that?”

Several thousands of immigrants who know what HARD WORK is would be grateful to do the simple jobs we CALL hard work and would go through great lengths to be ABLE to here in the USA.

We are arguing on computers, paying for internet and electricity, with TV’s running in the background (probably paying for cable or dish programing) while checking emails from phones that cost as much as car payments used to, driving car’s we had no right and couldn’t afford to buy….complaining about not having any money…..

You can live…..you just can’t afford to live the lifestyle you believe you are entitled to. We have become a country who can not comprehend the difference between WANT and NEED.

I saw a homeless man on a tablet the other day……

February 13, 2014 at 12:16 am
(25) Steven Smith says:

I am not quite sure I understand why people complain about the increase. The job market has always had a competitive nature. Just as businesses in a capitalistic market are. If a worker isn’t worth the 9 or 10 dollars an hour, they deserve to get fired, because they aren’t doing their job very well. Its a bad worker. If a business can’t afford to pay their workers 9 or 10 dollars an hour then they deserve to go out of business because their business model sucks. Its a bad business.

March 18, 2014 at 10:49 am
(26) Julia says:

The more money people make. The more money people spend.

March 29, 2014 at 10:06 am
(27) todd says:

nobody seems to understand the economics involved here…in a nutshell, raising minimum wage results in an increase in ALL goods and services that negates ANY gain in “buying power”… for those receiving the increase in minimum wage… basically you will have a slight increase in income, but a slight decrease in buying power that will nullify the wage increase, those making higher than minimum wage will not receive the slight increase in income, but will receive the decrease in buying power… the only ones that will receive an overall increase is the government on taxes…

April 3, 2014 at 9:27 am
(28) Mike Boatright says:

If the business owner can’t afford it he has a bad business model. The entry level jobs run the entire business without em the whole place falls apart no one makes the pizza no one delivers the pizza and people leave the burger joint because the line is to long because their is only 2 employees. Pay people 12 an hour and get a better business model otherwise don;t run a business.