1. Careers
Alison Doyle

What Was Your Worst Job Ever?

By August 1, 2013

worst jobDo you have a worst job, first job, or how you found a job story to share? We have received lots of interesting worst job stories - ranging from getting fired for calling the police to almost getting kissed by the boss to what might be a record breaking 15 minute job, and plain old bad jobs that are high stress and low pay.

If you've had a really bad job, please add your Worst Job Story to our list. If your job isn't the worst ever, but you still hate it, we'd like to hear why you hate your job. On a brighter note, if you love your job, we'd be thrilled to hear about it, too.

First job stories run the gamut, too - from paper boys to princesses and just about everything in between. They are fun to read, and we'd be thrilled to add your stories to the lists.

Photos are a welcome addition to your story. Just a word of warning though - if you're still working at your bad job, don't include your last name or a photo. You don't want to lose your job because of what you posted online, regardless of how bad it is.

First Jobs
What was your first job? How did you get your first job? What did you love (or hate) about it? What did you learn from the experience?
Share Your First Job Story

How I Found a Job
Finding a new job isn't easy, especially in a difficult economy. Share your job search success story and what you learned during your job search.
Share Your Job Search Story

Worst Jobs
Have you had a really bad job? Share your worst job story and let us know what made it a bad job, what you learned, and how other people can avoid a bad job situation. If you'd like to include a photo, upload one to go along with your story.
Share Your Worst Job Story

Related: I Hate My Job! | I Love My Job!

Image Copyright Fanch Galivel

Comments
June 13, 2010 at 4:46 pm
(1) David Stillwagon says:

The worst job that I ever had was a temporary job where I threw empty boxes into a machine to crush them. The problem was that the boxes were coming off a conveyor belt and you couldn’t stop the boxes from coming. if you got behind the boxes would begin to pile up till you were nearly buried!

August 16, 2010 at 5:18 pm
(2) Lisa  Bogart  says:

My worst job ever was cleaning and prepping fish for a restaurant. It took me a long time to be able to eat the types of fish prepared that summer, or to get the smell out of my hands.

June 2, 2011 at 8:59 pm
(3) girlwithcoffee says:

My first job was working at a Poultry Plant/ Leg Debone. Painful for hands. Cold. Smelly. Just not a cool place to work in my opinion.

July 25, 2011 at 3:23 am
(4) Joy says:

My worst job ever is the one I am in right now. I am currently working as a part-time telephone survey interviewer and yes, it is exactly what is sounds like; I phone people to ask them for survey answers. It’s not so much as the complication of the surveys, the length, the translation of english to chinese off the top of my head and the low wage that is the problem. The main problem is the rude people, yelling, hanging up before I finish. I understand, you’re busy, and you think telemarketers are annoying. But before I could explain that I am not trying to sell, and just am honestly trying to make some living here, the endless rejection makes me want to bang my head against the wall. I have to work tomorrow, I should just call in sick…

August 5, 2011 at 1:33 pm
(5) aonon says:

My worst job was working at a bbq restaurant. I opened the store myself and had to do 4 hours straight of solo work prepping food and cleaning. My bosses really sucked and rode me all the time just cuz they could. I’d go home and even after I showered my girl said I still stunk of grease.

November 6, 2011 at 8:15 am
(6) Mike says:

I worked picking beans one summer during high school. It was really hot and when I thought I’d filled a bushel basket, the boss would shake it down and I’d have to go back some more to fill it up again.

April 8, 2012 at 12:15 am
(7) T erry says:

The worse job I ever had was going door to door and getting people to have their vacuum cleaner serviced. Once the vacuum cleaners were out of sight in the “service truck”, the techs would break the cleaners and then sell them into having them fixed or buy a new one. On the second day I saw what they were doing and I walked away from them.

April 9, 2012 at 10:38 am
(8) Sedrick Scott says:

Worst Job:

I actually had a job to bag sulfer. They gave me a small paper mask and that mask didn’t work.

April 9, 2012 at 12:20 pm
(9) Been There Done That says:

Hard to pick -

1) Being held as a modern day slave for five years as a legal immigrant.

2) Working for a year in a large retail chain being systematically harassed (like my co-workers) by people in the same “Union” as I was. “Union dues” appeared to be a way for the company to suck away even more of the pathetic $6.60/hr they paid. Having co-workers paid to trash the aisles I was responsible for maintaining. They had people watching me so as soon as a customer asked my assistance they would have the telephone ring usually call both phones on opposite sides of the area). Ringing the phones with dummy calls typically occurred 150-425 times in an 8-hour shift. I worked in part in a one-hour photo lab & was reprimanded for fixing a rack so people’s negatives wouldn’t keep falling on the ground & be scratched. I barely survived a suicide attempt two days after leaving there.

3) Working in a University research animal lab. Another low-paying job of $11.53/hr; I was being asked to work 80-120 hour weeks in a safety non-compliant lab to be paid “with time off later”. While I was promised more help would be soon hired, the Prof. notably cut staffing & 6-folded the workload.

As the Prof’s demands became more unrealistic after nine-months of this, I went to Human Resources with concerns. I had learned then that the Prof’s behavior became more irrational because the Prof. had posted to hire for my replacement as I was due to soon be out for 4-6 weeks on an approved epilepsy surgery leave. I was forced to resign or be fired. While I did legally force the employer owed overtime & wages for the period through the surgery leave, I lost my job & seniority; was defamed on the way out, was forced to go before a judge 3 times to get my 6-months of unemployment, another 3 times to get my COBRA coverage, etc.

4) & 5) No need to go into details with these as both of these deplorable companies have done the world a service by going out of business in the last year….

May 21, 2012 at 3:02 pm
(10) Michael Mullady says:

I was hired at a fast food place, and the first job they had me do is come in at 4:30 every morning and prepare the kitchen myself, that included turning on ovens, stoves, heating up the grease, and making food. All alone, and all before I turned 18. I suppose I was honored by the trust, but that was not really safe! Plus I never wanted to eat food there every again.

June 24, 2012 at 10:58 am
(11) work tirade says:

after working at a company for 2-3 years and consistently being rated a “star player”, i found out that new college grads — folks that i was now mentoring — were getting paid more than i was making. ridiculous.

i posted a longer version here.

August 2, 2012 at 9:53 pm
(12) james says:

everyone’s job so far that i am reading is nothing to complain about. I work at a tech company that pays crap that doesnt pay any benefits, time and a half, raises, compensation for driving places, u name it. they wont even buy computers we have to bring our own. on top of that there are very angry customers who want projects for incredibly low and very time consuming projects and we have to finish it in impossible time frames to which they were actually paying for so that the company can make 70% profit. oh and no unemployment , you will never get layed off to get unemployment your only way out is either you quit or get fired.

October 1, 2012 at 4:34 pm
(13) Nina says:

When I was 17- I worked in a factory/store, printing labels on clothes/ fitting customers/filling and placing orders. The place was totally understaffed and packed every single day. The job was in a really really rough ghetto part of the city, and I was afraid to leave the building to go home haha. I made minimum wage, had no lunch break most days, and had to deal with some of the scariest, angriest people I’ve ever seen. I worked 9 hour days that summer, and lost like 10 lbs from the stress of that job, but I learned a lot, and I’m glad I stuck with it.

October 3, 2012 at 11:49 am
(14) steph says:

My worst job was at a Big Boy working as a waitress. One day I called at 9am to see if I had to work that night Because the schedule was never done on time and I was told I was off that night. It happened to be pay day and I went in at 7pm to get my check. I made a whole 15 dollars a week every week no matter what which was weird. They wouldn’t give it to me and told me I needed to come back and close the restaurant the place was trashed and closed at 9 so I wasn’t cleaning up thier mess while they stood around and counted thier tips so I went home an hour later after 8pm one of the waitresses showed up banging on the door saying if I didn’t come back I wouldn’t have a job i said oh well…

June 26, 2013 at 9:52 pm
(15) Tone says:

My worst job is working for the private education corporation Kumon. It was the worst because your constantly working with kids from ages 3-18 7 hours a day constantly. There are no breaks, the boss considers eating to be unprofressional. All drinks must be covered up and cannot make a noise.

July 27, 2013 at 1:57 pm
(16) Briana says:

The boss lied about the job, I left my other job for this one. I’ve been miserable in the job for seven months. There are no redeeming qualities except that it is a stepping stone. Everyone is verbally abusive to each other and blames one another for mistakes. I’ve had odd jobs when I was in college, some good some bad – the whole retail/waitress route. This one by far is the worst. It doesn’t matter how nice the office is or how good the pay is – it just isn’t worth it.

August 19, 2013 at 11:09 am
(17) Lol says:

The worst job im currently having right now is carpenting, you know how bad that is? i earn $%*, 1 lunch break… and carpenting come on, carry planks, isolation, do this do that, stand outside in 50 – degress cold as hell, rainy as shit and you guys complain about jobs where you are inside

October 14, 2013 at 3:03 am
(18) Jane says:

The worst job I have had is handing out pamphlets. I got paid around $20 for 10 hours of work, so around $2 an hour. I quit after one round.

October 26, 2013 at 1:11 pm
(19) David Johnson says:

I was hired at this can making factory in August of 2008. From the VERY first hour that day, I was already thinking of how can I get out of here. You work 12-hour shifts and if the machinery is running smoothly, you spend your entire day watching cans move down a conveyor. Whats worst is the temperature in that place during the summer. It was roughly 104 degrees in there and the fans blow hot air around. And God forbid if the machine breaks down. You crawl into steamy hot crevaces to reach razor sharp metal pieces to fix the problem. It was the PERFECT dead-end job. The reason why? Well for one, you can forget going to college because of the nature of the schedule, secondly it paid just enough to keep you there. ($18.50) per hr at the top of the pay scale. You work from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM for two weeks with every other weekend off, then you switch and work at 7:00 PM to 7:00 AM. I used to wake up ANGRY every day before going to that place. By the grace of GOD I am no longer there and I am currently in college and working with an excellent federal career. Honestly, my foundation for my motivation each and every day that I am in the books at school is reflecting back to the days of watching those cans move down the conveyor belt for hours on end.