The White House has announced Summer Jobs+, a new call to action for businesses, non-profits, and government to work together to provide pathways to employment for low-income and disconnected youth for the summer of 2012 as well as during the year.
The Federal government and private sector have already committed to creating nearly 180,000 employment opportunities for low-income youth in the summer of 2012, with a goal of reaching 250,000 employment opportunities by the start of summer, at least 100,000 of which will be placements in paid jobs and internships.
Young people seeking employment will be able to access job listings on the Summer Jobs+ Bank, a one-stop search tool for youth to access postings for any participating employers seeking to reach them where they are online, in the near future.
Organizations working with the administration who have committed to providing jobs this summer include the following:
- The American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD)
- Bank of America
- Baxter International Inc.
- Bender Consulting Services, Inc.
- THE CAMBER CORPORATION
- The Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS)
- CVS Caremark
- The Department of Agriculture h
- The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- The Department of the Interior
- The DirectEmployers Association
- Discovery Communications
- Easter Seals
- Gap Inc.
- General Dynamics C4 Systems
- Goodwill Industries International
- J.B. HUNT TRANSPORT
- Jamba Juice
- JPMorgan Chase
- Operation HOPE
- PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
- THE SI ORGANIZATION
- Starbucks Coffee Company
- State Street Corporation
- Syracuse University
- THE MCGRAW-HILL COMPANIES
- WE ARE GOLF
- Wells Fargo