1. Careers
Alison Doyle

Walmart Lawsuit 2011

By May 2, 2011

A class action lawsuit based on gender discrimation that may impact more than one million current and former Walmart women employees is moving forward.

Last year, the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled that a class action lawsuit alleging that Walmart pays women less than men for the same jobs and that female employees receive less promotions and have to wait longer to be promoted can proceed.

Now, the Supreme Court will hear arguments in the sex discrimination class action lawsuit against WalMart Stores and will consider whether to allow the suit to move forward as the largest job discrimination class action lawsuit in U.S. history, involving as many as 1.6 million women.

If the Supreme Court opts not permit the suit to move forward the women will have to file individual claims against Walmart and each lawsuit would be handled separately, which would support Walmart's position that if there was discrimination is was on a store or regional basis, where most decisions are made, and was not company policy.  A decision is not expected until the end of June.

What do you think about working at Walmart?  Review WalMart

Related: Walmart Employment Information

Connect With Alison: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments
March 29, 2011 at 8:59 am
(1) Diana says:

OH YES THEY DO DISCRIMINATE NOT ONLY AGAINST WOMAN THEMSELVES BUT IF YOUR OVERWEIGHT THEY ALSO DO IT,I WORKED AT A WAL MART FOR 7 YEARS AND COULDNT GET ANOTHER POSITON NO MATTER WHAT I DID.WAS ALWAYS TOLD THERE WAS SOMEONE MORE QUALIFIED.THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN THERE WERE 4 OF US THAT WERE OVERWEIGHT THAT GOT FIRED WITHIN 3 MONTHS.THEY SAY THAT WASNT IT BUT SO THEY HAD TO THINK OF SOMETHING ELSE FOR IT.I WILL NEVER SHOP THER OR GIVE THEM ANY OF MONEY.

March 29, 2011 at 8:40 pm
(2) SARAH says:

IF YOU HAVE BEEN DESCRIMATED AGAINST GO TO http://WWW.WALCLASS.COM AND SIGN UP

May 11, 2011 at 8:46 pm
(3) Dobi says:

How do you sign up? I saw no reference to A Wal-Mart Law suit. Thanks, Dobi

March 29, 2011 at 10:59 pm
(4) bluemorpho says:

I, for one, know for a fact that Walmart is a terrible company to work for. They have personnel rules that are unreasonable.
If you are hurt on the job or outside work, you cannot wear a cast or sling, even with doctor’s orders? I have gone in when door greeters are cleaning doors and windows. Isn’t that a job for janitorial services? It is down-right degrading. How do they get away with this practrice? They say that is THEIR rules, what about fair employment? I feel that they are backward, biased against women, and live in the dark ages. I know their sales are down, and it is their fault. After all, this is America. A company with these practices should be shunned.

May 2, 2011 at 3:14 pm
(5) Blubous says:

Degrading?

I was a waiter and my job was to pick up trash and messes from disasters known as toddlers while having to dodge those little rugrats running around the restaurant. Had my tray of hot coffee spilled on them, I guess the negligent parents would have said it was my fault.

Your opinions demonstrate short sightedness and an arrogance that is appalling.

March 30, 2011 at 10:49 am
(6) Ollie Hoover says:

I worked for walmart for a year and half as a front-end cashier and anywhere eles that they needed me.The pay that I started at was 7.40 an hour and after that first year I was making 7.85 and was one of the best front-end cashier that walmart had.Then before I knew it I was training the new hire that was making more than I was.This one girl said that she was making about 9.75 as a cashier.I just really would like to understand why I had to train the new hire without training pay?When in fact they had a frontend manager and a hand full of csm on duty that did nothing but stand around and gossip!!!!!!

May 5, 2011 at 2:40 am
(7) dimitra says:

You are so right!! I also train cashiers but do not get any type of training pay. I totally agree with your full statement.

July 31, 2011 at 12:30 am
(8) Becca says:

Maybe the reason you get paid less is they base your starting wages off prior experience. I know when I was hired, I had a few years of retail under my belt, so I started off higher than others in my dept. It’s not unfair, it’s not discrimination, they just ACTUALLY look at your job experience. Yea, it DOES count! You want to be paid more? Work your way up. The Asst. Manager actually told me that is why I got the starting wage that I did.

March 30, 2011 at 4:55 pm
(9) cynthia Abbott says:

I worked for wal-Mart 10 years and yes they do dicriminate .

March 30, 2011 at 8:06 pm
(10) Scott says:

You people are just lazy and ignorant. I work at Walmart and they employ every type of person. Whether your over weight or not. They still allow you to work if you have a cast or sling, they will find you something to do until your well enough to work at your previous position. I for one im grateful to work at Walmart. They are a great company to work for. And as for the greeters, my friend is a greeter and says he trys to find something to do in the slow times instead of just standing around doing nothing, Its their choice. For those of you who say Walmart is an evil company be thankful you have a job, so stop complaining be thankful and just do your job.

May 11, 2011 at 8:28 pm
(11) Dobi says:

well you made more money Im sure. I agree with them we as woman make less so you would defend them. tring wearing A womans shoes for A while and youll find out what they are talking about worked next to a man who made more than I try he made 25.00 an hour to play while I was under paid.

May 24, 2011 at 4:45 am
(12) Dave says:

To be fair here..

I’m all for equal wages.. but for equal work.

I see so many times men having to do a job that a manger asked a woman to do only to be told Ugh I can’t do that. or I can’t lift this.

You know how many times as a cashier I was told to go get carts while NEVER seeing a CSM ask a female associate to get them? Believe me when I say never I mean NOT ONCE.

Quite often and I’m definitely not trying to be boarish here but women do not do the same work men do. So sometimes they do not always derserve equal pay.

On the other hand sometimes a woman out works a man, she deserves more.

The problem isn’t about equal wages, you should get paid for what you do and how you perform. gender shouldn’t even play a role.

I’m a male, and I don’t care if you a man, a woman a tranny, a mountain goat. I dont care if you’re black, white, yellow, green.. if I do more work than you, if I perform better than you, if I am expected to do more then I had better get paid more than you do.

May 24, 2011 at 4:28 am
(13) Vince says:

You are an EXTREMELY disillusioned person who obviously buys into the propaganda garbage Walmart sells you ever single day.

Walmart is in FACT one of the very worst companies to work for. No other company has been involved in more lawsuits than the one we work for. (yes I currently work for Walmart) I will tell you first hand that they are not a GREAT company to work for. They single handedly drive industry wages down by BILLIONS of dollars each year. Their benefits are near non-existent in the fact that your wages are so low you can’t afford them.

I’ll give you a little bit of advice, you want an eye opener? Go check out the documentary titled, “Walmart: the High Cost of Low Prices” and come back here and tell me what a great company you think we work for.

The activities and manner in which Walmart treats it’s employees is atrocious. But you’re right on one account, in a recession you take whatever job you can get, so I WAS greatful for the pay check I was getting, UNTIL I learned that the state I work in Walmart automatically maxes your unemployment benfit so I’d make just as much money on unemployment benefits as I would actually working. roughly $220 a week.

Tell me how you’re supposed to live on that.

June 21, 2011 at 11:55 am
(14) Chris says:

It depends for the store you work at it seems. at my walmart there are only two male workers. one of them is me, we take care of inventory because it is to physically demanding for most of the women at this location. we make bare minimum. this lawsuit is just about fat lazy femanist bitches that have now clue what a hard days work is. i left my 30 dollar an hour construstion job for walmart. its not as bad as you think. Hell id rather be doing this for 7.50 an hour.

May 24, 2011 at 12:17 pm
(15) John McCallum says:

It takes a Manager to spot a manager. Obviously you a Walmart manager or worse. !?”You can still work if you have a cast or sling”?! Is that because they have no sick leave or paid time off. I’m guessing they can work while sick too, right? Walmart isn’t an evil company… it’s just a company that bleeds the American economy off to China for profit. See for yourself -goto Walmart and count how many of there products are made in China. Scott you maybe okay with sacrificing your morals, sense of ethics and the American economy. But, make an effort and open your eyes instead of closing them for cash.

July 6, 2011 at 2:50 pm
(16) Sondra Smith says:

You obviously are oblivious to how the company runs things……. watch the documentary “The High cost of Low Prices” then let me know how u feel……. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GINui9LdIQ

July 31, 2011 at 12:38 am
(17) Becca says:

THANK YOU!! Finally somebody who sees it the way I do. Personally I think this discrimination thing is total crap. I’m a female and I’m treated just fine at work. So many times I see people stand around and do nothing, and they whine that they can’t get promoted. They think because they’ve worked their for 10 or more years, THEY should be entitled to those higher positions. Well ppl, guess what? Senority doesn’t win anymore. Productiveness does. You want to move up? you want more hours? Do your job! And for you females who claim discrimination, don’t pass a job off to a man if you just don’t feel like doing it. They are watching EVERYTHING you do, and all that says is you’re incapable of doing the work, therefore, no you won’t get paid as much as a man who runs around and does all the work for you.

March 30, 2011 at 11:39 pm
(18) stacie says:

of course you would say that scott, afterall you are a man. I’m sure you have a great job working for walmart. :)

March 31, 2011 at 11:45 am
(19) Scott says:

Stacie, if your implying that I make more money than the women I work with, you couldn’t be more wrong I make 745. All the women at my store make the same as me or more. I wasn’t referring to the wages, i was referring to the people that say Walmart is a bad company to work for because they don’t allow you work if your over weight or in a cast. That is false.

May 24, 2011 at 4:53 am
(20) vince says:

It in fact ISNT false.

I had a fellow associate fracture his kneecap while off the job.

He wasn’t allowed to work for 6 weeks while he healed.

A support manager fell off of a ladder and broke his ankle.

He was allowed to work with a little scooter he bought in and as he healed a little more he used a cane,

When time came for the next big walk and that support manager was there they made sure he disappeared REAL FAST when the big wigs got in.

it is IN FACT a very TRUE reality, if you are hurt, you’re not supposed to be working. Now maybe they make special exceptions at your store, but the majority they do not.

educate yourself Scott.

September 30, 2011 at 11:19 pm
(21) Amber says:

You will not be allowed not come back into work with an injury like that without a release from a Dr. Some people take longer than others to get releases. Others, well, their Docs sign over releases early for reasons way beyond me. It isn’t because they have casts or slings, it’s all about the releases.

March 31, 2011 at 2:21 pm
(22) Jack Z says:

My wife worked for the home office for 5 yrs before we moved to Kansas. She has been working for the company for 19 yrs. this time. They are not the company it was years ago whenSam was running it, but it is still a job with great benefits. You all should be greatful to have a job. If you do not like no one is holding a gun a forcing you to stay, so shut up and get to work.

May 24, 2011 at 4:59 am
(23) Vince says:

UH.. home office is NOTHING like working in a store. Home Office gets amazing benefits it’s true. but that’s a very small portion of the company. HUGE difference Jacko

You have to base of reference so shut the hell up and sit down little man.

June 19, 2011 at 11:33 pm
(24) Dee says:

I see you and Scott both drank the koolAid.

April 1, 2011 at 10:15 pm
(25) rachel says:

i bet scott is a snotty nose little boy who just got hired . i worked for walmart , i dedicated myself to them for 7 years. they do discriminate! and i pray that justice will prevail.

April 2, 2011 at 3:52 am
(26) renate says:

I’ve been with walmart for 18 years and they are the most crocked company i’ve ever worked for. I know evrything and have so much knowledge about the work and the workplace. Other people i work with ask me to help them and they look up to me. But the store manager that we had for the past few years is very disscriminating to women. I had to give up my department manager position along with 7 others because he decided to cut position and save money. He told me that when a supervisor position opens again i will be considered. Well he lied, when a few opend up he gave them away to someone else, and they where men. I have so much to give and can’t use it because he doesn’t want me to. He is a ex-Navy and very ignorant! Since i’ve been there for so long he would love it if i just quit. I feel sorry for those who work for this company for a long time, cause Walmart is plotting to get them out one way or another. The way they treat their employees is also very cruell. Even customers can see it! They don’t belong to a Union and get away with murder.

April 18, 2011 at 1:37 pm
(27) Cindy says:

18 years???

If you hate them Why are you still there???

April 2, 2011 at 8:10 am
(28) anna says:

it is very true what everyone is saying about walmart ther are the most unfair of companies to work for. i workrd for them for close to 4 years and i went through so many dept managers but they give you such a hard timr about everything it was horrible. my store manager would keep us from getting our bonus money just so she could get her big quaterly bones thats how she got the things that she had and believe me she did not hide what she had she made everyone know

May 16, 2011 at 9:29 pm
(29) jo says:

Just to clarify, Anna, the Store Manager does not get a quarterly bones, oh I mean bonus. Before any of you judge, make sure you know what you are talking about. Also, spell check would work wonders.

April 2, 2011 at 10:40 am
(30) Gloria says:

It is very sad to know that descrimination, do exist in every way possible all over the world.

April 3, 2011 at 8:07 pm
(31) Michael says:

You guys are stupid. I have been working for Wal-Mart for 8 months now. I am on the 3rd Shift Instock Team. 3 of my managers are women, 1 are overweight. 2 are men. I had a work injury and was in a sling for about a week to not allow me to use my right arm and they put me in a light duty job for the time that is was on restrictions. Yes there is one thing Iwill say needs to change is some of the job operations and a little more pay. But I figure with the economy in the s*** hole I am just glad i have a job and out of working for Burger King. Wal-Mart is way better than BK. You think $9.70 per hour is bad put up with $7.25 per hour only 25 hours per week.

April 5, 2011 at 4:11 pm
(32) Kit says:

You wouldn’t make 9.70 hour if you were not on 3ed shift!!! There ‘s no light duty allowed at the Oneida store. They made me take a full 6weeks off for foot injury that I was released from my doctor for 4-6 hour shifts. I couldn’t return until I could be on my foot for 8hour shifts. I worked for the company over 8years!!!There are jobs out there-that pay the same as Wal-Mart.Most 3ed shift for jobs get1-1.50 more an hour.That’s why you make more than 7.25

July 6, 2011 at 3:06 pm
(33) Sondra says:

Dude…. You like totally missed the whole point of the lawsuit, and I think your ignorance is hilarious.

April 5, 2011 at 4:06 pm
(34) Kit says:

The Oneida location is all about favoritism!! They prefer males over females. They even forced most full time employees out. They made them have 24/7 open availability or they took a risk of losing their full time status.Even those who had the same schedule for years. They made exceptions for ones they wanted to keep but others lost the hours. No wonder Wal- Mart doesn’t want a union. As for ” open door policy ” that’s a joke. They repeat it to other managers and whom ever they socialize with. They even call their associates idiots in the office etc. The store manager has a 2year old temper. He throws things and punches doors in front of workers. But because he’s good with numbers he’s considered a good manager. They used to care about their associates
and families. Now their all about money.

May 24, 2011 at 7:10 pm
(35) Tina says:

My husband worked for Sam’s Club for a year, if you weren’t one of the head manager’s friends or favorites you were discriminated against. He was rude to the employees and never kept his word. Managers like this make walmart and sams club hard to work under or for. Open door policy like someone else stated is a joke. I love to shop at Walmart but from seeing how the Sam’s Club my husband worked at treated my husband and the other employees I would not recommend anyone working for that individual store.

April 6, 2011 at 1:13 am
(36) Sarah says:

I’m sorry to hear such bad things about a great company. I started at my store as a unloader wit no retail experience. Learned the ims process and other operations in the backroom. In 3 months I was promoted to the merchandise supervisor over grocery. 6 months later I was a support supervisor. 7 months after that I got promoted to a Zone Merchandise Supervisor, and I’m planning on getting into the assist manager program. My store manager is a female my co managers all but 1 are female and all of my assistants are females. I even went through some hardship and was giving 1000 through the associate in critical need. To say that the company as a whole is discriminatory for incidences that happen store level in my opinion isn’t right.

April 7, 2011 at 1:05 pm
(37) cant say says:

Walmart is unfair its depends ur age and apperance. and depends if ur male or female. And as far as pay raises I was told by a male worker that since he has been with the company every year he has gotten a 40 cent raise and asked if I have and said no. I have not. Was also told on another workers eval dept mng was told to say something good about this male employee so they could give him a 40 cent raise for the year. Also had a male was able to have his phone on the sales floor but a female. Was told no even with a sick child.

April 7, 2011 at 3:01 pm
(38) JENNY1 says:

I worked at Wal-Mart for 2 years, It was hard work, I am not a lazy person but it’s hard work for the pay. Most not all but most of the customers are rude and you have to endure, front end csm’s are a joke! I think their main jobs were to hang at the podium and talk, you could ask for a break, they would sometime ignore you, if you needed restocking of bags at your register they would also ignore you, the descrimation part I feel looking back is true, I remember 1 male employee that came in maybe less than a 6 months after I was there before 3-4 months he was introduced in a meeting as “our new CSM” Maybe 6months to a year he was the manager in a department then you look around her was promoted to the front end manager!

April 8, 2011 at 10:10 am
(39) Serious says:

I do agree that Walmart’s rules and Policy are breaking by some managment, I did work for Company, New Jersey . I Am white female. Worked at Bakery Department , My Title was Baker, I become a White Slave for Dept. Manager Maria. without any performance, who got disciplibary fired at Stop &Shop. CBL
was mandatory to pass. I saw her cheating on my own eyes and helping anothers to cheat. She even gave me instruction for it. It is not important a knowledge but score , to get a better possision. I had 92% without any cheating. I was only one white Baker in this department, had less Hourly Wage with two Years exp.then anyone else without any exp. ( Spanish /American/African $12.00 /HR or more) During a Grand Oppening I was only one who baked ! For over three months I was one who cleaned!!! During a traning Maria refused me to become a Cake Decorator.However ,Spanish who even wasn’t in USA, without any traning got it! Her salary $12.50 /HR and NO English !! They even discrimanted customers ! Maria was treathening me to fire. Finally she did !! She is Manipulator , Racist . I had to signed a notes written by her , She stoped me a Bake a bread !!! Where anothers had no limit in baking. We were only three Whites in all Department !! She told others no to help me.Robert was also against me. She Picked on Me because iI AM POLISH and White !This is Wrong !!

April 8, 2011 at 12:00 pm
(40) Ralph says:

Even though I have never worked at a Walmart, allow me to chime in. In case some of your have forgotten, Walmart got sued 15 years ago … for the SAME reasons as they are getting sued for right now! The top management either refuses to learn, or they refuse to enforce any kind of impartial fairness. Therefore they are getting SUED yet again.

So far the comments have only been about females being degraded and discriminated against. I have my fingers crossed and hope that the court rules in favor of those 1 million women.

Then maybe it would open up additional lawsuits for other people who likewise have been mistreated.

I have a couisn who works as a Janitor at the Walmart in Manhattan, KS and although he is a college graduate, the ONLY position that management sees fit to offer him is to be one of the Janitors! No kidding. I doubt if the managers who keep him at that level ever even went to college; let alone graduated. Probably the ONLY reason he is still a Janitor is because he is a racial minority, he is deeply religious and does not play the “political games” that might have gotten him promoted like other men whom have worked at hs store over the years.

April 29, 2011 at 11:22 pm
(41) random says:

u r right on the money

May 10, 2011 at 3:05 am
(42) melvin says:

Even if the court rules in favor for those women they will reallocate the expense to all the store to recover that if you shop there anyways.

May 24, 2011 at 7:12 pm
(43) Tina says:

They are good for not allowing customers lunches or the right amount of breaks as well. They should get sued for that, or is that in one of the other things they are being sued over?

April 11, 2011 at 7:30 pm
(44) RollingEyes says:

I can see how some people feel discriminated – but just reading some of these comments makes you look like you had only three years of education. Maybe that has something to do with it.

May 1, 2011 at 4:18 pm
(45) Undecided says:

Both the groups who disagree and agree are very defensive. In my case I am undecided. But we need to consider a few details before offending anyone. This page is all about discrimination? I feel you chose the wrong choice of words to maturely express your point. Not everyone speaks great English, many different races and cultures work for Walmsrt, therefore things might not be typed to your expectations. Others have trouble expressing themselves on both sides. Listening to the whole picture goes along way in helping someone find a solution to their problems. Not attitude because of disagreement.

May 16, 2011 at 9:33 pm
(46) jo says:

I agree. I don’t agree with everything the company does, or doesn’t do, however, seriously, some of you need to read what you write prior to posting.

April 13, 2011 at 11:30 am
(47) Yes says:

There are so many grammatical errors in all these comments. It comes as no suprise that the only jobs all of the current and former employees here blogging can hold down is a minimum wage (or close to it) job at walmart. Either move on and better yourself or just deal with what you have earned for yourself.

April 14, 2011 at 11:28 am
(48) Tracy says:

I was w/ company for 16 1/2 yrs. and went on maternity leave and they took my dept. away, and I had been capped out for raises for 3 yrs. – they offered me 2 other positions that they knew I couldn’t take with a new baby…?????? I was very loyal and committed to the company and always recommended people to apply- and at the end they let me leave… w/ no care in the world. Very sad to know I put all that time in to just not matter anymore. Now, a stay at home mom…

April 20, 2011 at 2:30 pm
(49) Kyle says:

My mother worked for Walmart for 15 years and steadily moved up the supervisor ladder. When she finally left she was an Assistant store manager that had repeatedly turned down offers to take her own store. She had every advantage in the company and moved higher than a lot of others on a quicker pace. When I asked if she felt that Walmart discriminated against women, she said, “Absolutely they do against women.”

I am a man and can honestly say to all the other men on here talking about these women complaining, shut up. You have no clue what is going on and from the way you have reacted with your comments, you are the same type that this lawsuit is focused on. Walmart is a boys club that lets women in because they have too. Until you have to deal with what these women have to put up with, keep quiet. You know nothing of what they deal with.

April 25, 2011 at 11:24 pm
(50) TIFFANY says:

I HAVE TOO BEEN A APART OF HARRASSMENT DUE TO ME BEING A FEMALE IN A SUPERVISOR POSITION. IVE WORKED AT WALMART FOR JUST ABOUT 5 YEARS AND WASNT SURE WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT. SOONER OR LATER I FINALLY TOLD MY HIGHER MANAGEMENT, AFTER MANY OPEN DOORS, THAT IF THEY WERE NOT WILLING TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT, THAT I WAS NOT GOING TO WORK WITH THIS MANAGER, WHO WAS A MALE, HARRASSING ME AND 2 OTHER FEMALE ASSOCIATES. THYE JUST FIRED ME COMING UP WITH SOME KIND OF REASON. ANYONE KNOW HOW I CAN GET THIS TAKING CARE OF???

April 28, 2011 at 7:29 pm
(51) Lori says:

I have worked at walmart for a year now. They do not discriminate they treat all there employee’s the same. like crap!!! They are the worst company I have ever worked for!!! They all make there own rules. Management has not a clue what the hell they are doing. You can ask each of the 10 or so managers how to do something they will each give you a different answer. No one is ever on the same page which just causes mayhem. The best thing for the workers at walmart would be a union so they cant push us around anymore!! They pay crap and then cut hours. Then expect the 5 or so people left in the store to do the job of five people. They are nothing more then an american sweat shop!!!!

April 29, 2011 at 8:46 pm
(52) trudy says:

Yes Walmart is all for money an nothing else. They killing the good an older worker for some lazy ass kids. They are going to see who puts out more work per day. The youngs kids all want to play around text friends,an walk around wiyh music in there ears all day. The old people has to bust ass all day working freight. They gave department mangers hell run here do this , an paper work that is so crazys. Another thing those people that call them self ZIMS that’s the biggest joke I ever heard of . The are so lazy it’s not funny. The started walmart about 6 months and think they know everthing. Accesoicate that’s been there 10-15 yrs still don’t know everything, but those ZIMMMMMMMMMMMssss are more stupied them 10 people put together. ZIMS have it made cause deptmanger do everthing. The only thing they good for is to back stub us. an take all the credit for nothing.They sure have a law suit about how much one person can do for the same pay of ten people. It’s coming faster then they think time will run out on there ass then what. Assicaties famiy are reaize what those manger making those deptmanger an assciates do. They want to stop shopping at their stores. The go else where like K-Mart an Targets. Come on people open your eyes an ears. It ‘s pass time for something to get done.

May 8, 2011 at 3:17 pm
(53) bamie says:

yes you right walmart suck. They sure have a law suit for how much departments a person should have . Walmart boss wants to work there associates ass off for nothing. They get all the credit . Yes you right those so call ZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIImmmsssssss they something else. You call that smart ass. Just because they think they walk with a pad and pencil they on top of things, but they are just a dumb as ten people put together.

May 1, 2011 at 4:04 pm
(54) Undecided says:

The sad thing is is that I have to agree that bad judgements and decisions are made. Maybe not at all stores, or for all people, but in some cases it happens leaving the individual trully feeling mistreated. I worked for Walmart for almost 7 years, years ago as my first job. They were the only ones that would get me started. I became multi-trained for layaways, customer service, claims, making paint, cutting keys, u name it I learned it. I really did love my job, helping well known customers in any way that I could. After 6 and a half years I applied for a Dept. Managers position in the department I worked for for many years. Everytime I asked they told me they would get back to me. The last minute they told me that I wasn’t ready to take on such a responsibility with my experience and gave the position to a male demoted manager, who at the time, was making many mistakes in the dept I had to fix, noticed by the management team. There were many people that approached me and said that they felt it was not fair, even the Dept Manager who had left the position. I left Walmsrt losing my 7yr share to become an assistant manager at a different store, which helped me finish college at the time. I understand that many people look at lawsuits like an easy route for money, but at the same time we can’t ignore those who have truly been treated unfairly whether it be gender, race, or handicap. Their excuse was that I had no management skills, and rather than train a motivated long time employee they accepted a male failed manager? Hence, I felt no room to move up, so I left on a good note. I loved the people I worked with. Unfortunately it seems like those who complain seem to become the motivated, it is those that are obedient that tend to get walked over. All jobs need to be more aware of performances rather than pay and characteristics and provide recognition to those that deserve it.

May 10, 2011 at 6:09 pm
(55) unhappy says:

I have been with the company for 7 1/2 years and just got denied a ZS position for the front end. I have been a CSM for 6 1/2 years and the position went to a young man, on the same day they gave the associate of the month to the new CSM who as only been with the store for 6 months and a CSM for less then 2 months. Yes another young boy. The people who work there asses off do not get any credit for the work that they do. The Store Manager had already chose this person for the ZS position before the other two (women) got their interviews. They had no chance in hell to get it. They both know the front end, he knows nothing of the front end. In our store if you do not have the right plumbing you can forget about promotions.

May 10, 2011 at 9:32 pm
(56) Lori says:

It seems like Walmart likes to promote the newer associates not because they can do a better job but because there base pay is lower which means less in pay roll :( I see it in my store all the time. This week management has couched all the dept managers for having late mods and price changes yet they have them all over the store doing other stuff leaving them no time to do there own jobs. But they seem to think you can be in ten places at the same time doing ten different things. They just dont seem to get it.

May 11, 2011 at 2:41 pm
(57) Juanita says:

I worked for Walmart for about 18 months, I was fired because an injury,I know of serveral men that are still there after an injury. So don’t tell me they don’t discriminate against women.

May 17, 2011 at 5:24 pm
(58) mike says:

I’ve worked in the company for 8 1/2 years. Age discrimination is more prevalent than anything. Oh yeah, and discrimination for sexual orientation. Openly gay individuals are typically fired within 6 months of their initial hire, for one reason or the other. The department managers who are younger and male typically have responsibility for 3 or less departments in our store, where older/female department managers are given responsibility for up to 8 departments at a time, with each of them being coachable offenses for not following through. Tell me that’s not discrimination. Go ahead. I dare you.

May 20, 2011 at 6:09 pm
(59) Martha says:

I have been at walmart for about a year now. I have been a dept manager for 8mon of that time. I have to tell you I am so fed up with this company and its insane practices! First of all they have cut everyones hours to the point that there is no one in the store but management and the dept managers during the day. Last week they couched most of the dept mangers for late price changes. This week they are telling us it is okay to have late price changes and they are making us all work in grocery. Then they were asking everyone if they wanted to take a day off with out pay because they are over hours??!!! They made anyone that even worked over a min more then they were scheduled to cut it by taking a longer lunch. We cant cut it by leaving early. So we cut are hours and the same day management comes to us and asks us if we will stay an hour later??!! Where do they come up with these rules and what sense do they make. All the dapt mangers are fed up!!!! We need a union!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2011 at 6:12 pm
(60) Martha says:

Oh and I found out today that they actually couched one of the ZMS for helping to much!!!!! Really this place needs more then a law suit that for sure!!!!!!

May 24, 2011 at 4:50 am
(61) Vince says:

Yes we do need a Union.

But don’t let Walmart hear you say that.

Walmart actually engages in some rather illegal actions whenever unions are mentioned.

Check out the movie I’ve mentioned a couple times here and you’ll see exactly what I mean.

May 24, 2011 at 4:37 am
(62) Vince says:

I will say one thing for sure.

Walmart discriminates.
Walmart’s discrimination is based on at the very least a store by store level.

When I started at the store I work at (a neighborhood market), it was controlled by lesbians. Basically if you were female you got promoted if you where male they’d keep you down or promote you and then get rid of you. We went through 7 male managers in 3 months while the same main three female managers stayed constant. Tell me that isn’t fishy.

I know for a fact other stores have similar stories. sometimes it’s men who are dominant. but the truth is no one store treats it’s employees equally.

Currently my store is under new management and it’s split between night shift and day shift factions. The night shift is treated like crap though they work very hard every night. While the day crew is treated like gold and we do next to nothing all day.

Walmart has a great story this is very true. But that story is atrocious. I invite anyone who disbelieves any negative words about Walmart to find and watch a copy of the documentary “Walmart: the High Cost of Low Prices” then come back and tell me how great of a company this place is.

Walmart destroys communities, drives wages down, discriminates, and these are just the tip of the iceberg.

Had the Titanic hit Walmart instead of an iceberg it wouldn’t have sunk, it would have disintegrated.

May 24, 2011 at 6:49 am
(63) Scott says:

Well Vince maybe the reason your friend wasn’t allowed to work is because a broken knee cap is a hell of alot worse than an ankle. And yes maybe my store is different then others, but I don’t work at other Walmarts, I only “educate” myself of the rules and policies of my store.

July 18, 2011 at 9:07 pm
(64) Debbie says:

I worked for the company for 17 years,until they laid me off. I worked in the marketing department, doing the same job as a man and getting paid $3.00 less an hour. I know for sure.I saw his pay check stub. I was wanting to retire with Walmart but all of Sams beliefs went out the window, when he passed away.He would be ashamed of how the employees are treated now.

July 24, 2011 at 10:46 pm
(65) Fred says:

I have worked for Walmart for 17 years. In the past ten years I have tried to move up the ladder. At the store I work at, if you can pee standing up you can forget moving up. We have two men dept mgrs. One is in toys, the other is lawn and garden. Everyone else is female and that includes automotive and the service bay – both shifts. Plus, for the last six years I have not had a pay raise. So it is hard for me to sit here and think that I am on the better half of this equation of a law suit. I believe it is what it is. I have a job,I do my job and I am thankful for it. And no, I am not in mgt, nor am I trying to defend anyone.

July 31, 2011 at 12:56 am
(66) Becca says:

Honestly, after reading some of these comments, I can’t help but laugh. Wal-Mart is a good company to work for. Definitely not the worst retailer out there. I have worked for MUCH worse! And this job was a God-send to me after working three years making 20 hours or less a week at Sears first, then Carson Pirie Scott (A Bon-Ton store). Sears is going down the toilet, and closed down my location. Instead of transfering us, they fired 95 percent of the employees that worked there and told us that we can never work for Sears or it’s affiliates EVER AGAIN. Carson’s cut my hours from a measly 16 a week to 5 a week after I got pregnant and had to have one extra rest period per doctors orders. After I threatened a lawsuit, they raised it to 13 hours but NO higher. Finally, when I got to Wal-Mart, I was relieved and surprised by how well they treat their employees. At least at my store. They are very pregnancy friendly and I get 32 hours a week part time. To me, that is AMAZING compared to what I had to live off of before. Sure, there are some not so great ppl, but thats retail. So, if you think you have it bad, quit and work for one of those companies. Then come back and tell me what you think.

December 17, 2011 at 7:00 am
(67) Scott H. says:

Been at Walmart 8 years and they don’t treat people like that! If there wasn’t a Walmart, the country would tank. Be grateful you have a job. Everything is not Walmarts fault….its people that complain and moan that want freebies, ya wanna Pepsi pal, ya gotta pay for it. Sure incidences happen that are out of the companies control, but I can assure you they DO NOT practice these negative complaints that I have been reading. Do you even know how many customers I have seen tell me they would never shop at Walmart again? A lot, but I see them the next day shopping at the convenience of Walmart. People know they meed Walmart…so STOP complaining!

January 26, 2012 at 9:56 pm
(68) Samantha says:

I work for wal- mart currently and Im 32 weeks pregnant and let me tell you! my last 8 appointments I have been scheduled to work and some of the managers tried to give me points for those days even with it being covered under FMLA! As well, I have had some major issues with my current pregnancy, and My doctor recommended I sit if I get out of breathe or my legs get numb! Well they recently told us Doctors note or not at my walmart you cant sit! Will i file suit no why its not worth my time, BUT some other silly person can have this job when im done no I wont stay I would prefer slave in CONSTRUCTION with my father as i did building decks than to work for a company who is unfair and degrading!

January 28, 2012 at 6:51 am
(69) Milly says:

What store does Becca work for ?
It does not sound like Wal-mart to me.

February 6, 2012 at 5:09 pm
(70) Striker says:

Ive been working for Walmart for 5 plus months now. I totally agree with Dave num 12 up there. Women really don’t do much from what Ive seen. There are a few that will that will pull there own weight but its only one hand full. THe rest of the women at the Walmart in Columbus GA on whittlesey blvd, all they do is complain. I cant do this, I cant lift that, I cant pull this. I work IMS in the back and there are only two of us males the rest are females. Us males only see each other 2 times out of the entire week. Other than that I have to stop what im doing all the time to help a lazy associate pull something heavy down or lift some boxes that are on top of the ones thats on the bottom because they dont want to do this. Women Im not be littling you, but if you want to get paid good then you need to pull your own weight.

February 6, 2012 at 5:11 pm
(71) Striker says:

You women are just trying to find another easy way to make easy money. Im sorry but if you want to get paid then you have to pull your own weight if you want more pay

February 11, 2012 at 1:30 pm
(72) dubbybubbly says:

I have been at walmart for about 8 yrs. now, and have wondered about the cbl’s (computer based learning) that everyonr is required to take.
I work in maint. and we do other asscociates cbl’s for them, especialy those that don’t speak english. That is why we have so many accidents and screw ups because these people don’t know whats going on!
Is this illegal, to do them so it shows that they pass? Are these just for the company or do they have to send off to the state for some kind of compliance?

March 15, 2012 at 12:11 pm
(73) Tirsha says:

Well I loved working for walmart as a cashier. I always hoped id get a better position but that never happened in my 3 years of working there. I even did everthing and more that they asked of me. I worked as as a cashier and electronics, jewelry counter, customer service, door greeter, garden center, go backs, making sure I had every ad so walmart didnt get ripped off. Cleaned ALL registers and helped set up holiday decorations. Started at 7.90 an hour ended 3 years later at 8.90 an hour. Never got anywhere in walmart. They do oit care about their employees, you are replacable. And they make sure you know that.

May 2, 2012 at 6:36 pm
(74) teresa says:

Ive only worked at walmart for a yr.i know for a fact that walmart discriminates.i work my tail off.i never call in.ive worked my bday my husband bday my kids bday all the holidays.ive come in and worked when i was sick,when my kids were sick.ive worked every single weekend for a yr straight.i was at first excited to have a job,during orientation they make it sound like a wonderful place to work,like they care about the associate.i now know different.y when im working myself into the ground do they come to me and give me more work when i c dozens of pple standing around,chatting,doing nothin?discrimination.y can others call out 3 or 4 times a month every month with nothing said and still keep their jobs(some whove worked there 6 or 7 yrs) and the 1 time i called out when my car broke down i had 4 different managers jump down my throat?discrimination.idk about other store but n my store its impossible to get a mngrs attention and when u do they act like ur the scum of the earth and they dont have the time for u.ive read some comments here about how we need to b thankful we have a job and i assure u we r.the problem comes when u do everything u can 4 walmart and u cant even get a little respect or appreciation.walmart knows the economy is rough and they hold it against us,they treat us like dirt knowing those of us with families cant just quit and even if we do theres hundreds of replacements just waiting….

May 10, 2012 at 6:58 pm
(75) Jim says:

I’ve had a sister, a nephew and my dad after he retired work for walmart. All of them swere they will never work for them again. They would tell me stories of things they did and I had a hard time believing them. Now my wife has worked with them for three years and I can’t believe the $#@! that she puts up with. Walmart should be sued for more than just discrimination.

May 13, 2012 at 10:17 pm
(76) Marie says:

I got a ? for everyone here.. has any one ever gotten hurt at a cash register? as a friend of mine who works for a walmart in indiana.. tripped and well now she has a busted knee cap..

August 9, 2012 at 1:19 am
(77) Amanda says:

I have been with walmart 4.5 years. My store will not allow you to work if you are sick or hurt and have restrictions. I had my appendix removed and wasn’t aloud to lift more than 10lbs i wasn’t allowed to work until i had NO restrictions at all. I must also point out that i work in money center and the most i have to lift is a piece of paper. People hired 2 years after me are getting paid more than i am. I am constantly in trouble and i don’t even know what for anymore. I go out of my way to do everything that’s asked of me and more and still can’t move up. I hate it there. I don’t think they discriminate against just woman. Each manager has certain associates that they favor and associates that they don’t like. Its like that everywhere, but i don’t think its right. I have worked many places, but i feel this has been the worst so far. I have been quite ill for a few years. Hospitalized for weeks at a time. I was just recently diagnosed with immune deficiency disease. You can miss 3 days in 6 months before you get written up after that you must go on loa and a dr’s excuse does nothing. It’s very difficult to find someone to bring you loa papers and you fill them out when you’re barely alive because of a cold. And after so long they won’t hold your job for you even if its loa. I don’t know how other companies deal with those situations, but that doesn’t seem fair. I don’t want special treatment. I want to be treated like everyone else BUT i want the way we’re all treated to fair and humane. Not expendable parts.

November 12, 2012 at 3:16 am
(78) Joanne says:

background checks went back over 20 years and at that time it showed a felony that had been reduced to a misdemeanor. So they wouldn’t hire a person even though there have been no charges of any kind. In the meantime the assisted manager of one of Wal-mart stores has a felony DUI. I think we have a case of discrimination. The company headquarters told the manage they couldn’t even talk to the applicant.
Before getting the rejection of hiring notice the applicant went throug 3 interviews and passed them with greaat results.Looks to me that there should be another law suit to be filed.