1. Careers
Alison Doyle

Expired Unemployment Benefits

By November 30, 2010

The National Employment Law Project (NELP) reports that two million of America's unemployed workers will lose federal unemployment benefits unless Congress enacts legislation that would provide an extension of the federal extended unemployment benefits which expired November 30.

The NELP update on employment notes that the following groups of workers currently collecting unemployment will lose benefits if an extension is not passed:

• Those who are currently collecting state unemployment benefits but will not be able to move into the federal emergency program once they have exhausted their state benefits.
  • Those who are already collecting one of four "tiers" of benefits (ranging from 34 to 53 weeks) under the Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) but who will not be able to move onto a subsequent tier to collect their maximum weeks of benefits.
  • Workers who are already receiving benefits under the federal/state permanent Extended Benefits (EB) program, which is currently 100% federally-funded.  The EB program provides 13-20 weeks of benefits to workers living in high unemployment states, typically after workers collect their EUC.  Unlike workers in the "tiered" EUC program who will continue to receive benefits until they reach the limit of their current tier, workers in the EB program in a number of states will suffer an immediate hard cut-off of benefits when the temporary federal funding ends.

UnemployedWorkers.org is urging Congress to take action to renew and extend these unemployment benefit programs through 2011.  These extended benefits have helped keep nearly 8 million jobless workers and their families going while they look for work in a tough economy. Here's how to sign the Petition to Congress to extend unemployment benefits.

Check with your State Unemployment Office web site for details on your benefits.  Most states have detailed information on eligibility for extended unemployment benefits and will have updates as legislation is considered in Congress.

In addition, if you have run out of unemployment or are about to lose your unemployment benefits, here's what to do when unemployment runs out.

Share Your Story

Related: Unemployment Benefits | Unemployment Extension | Unemployment Compensation

Connect With Alison: Facebook | TwitterLinkedIn

Comments
November 1, 2010 at 10:25 am
(1) exhausted says:

If benefits come to an end, another wave of foreclosures — of those who had been able to to keep their credit healthy this long by going without driving/heat/AC/food — will hit the nation. Just what the country needs, more vacant homes, more bad mortgages.

Extend benefits AND provide employers with real incentives to hire and train (REALLY train) new hires to start new careers with them. This means accepting those with no prior experience and taking them from the ground up — not selecting only applicants who have degrees or years already invested in your trade. Then paying them a living wage (not minimum wage — who can pay a mortgage on that?)

A work/stipend/credit program so the unemployed can re-invent themselves to meet the needs of a quickly changing economy.

Otherwise there will be a flood of cold, scared, broke and homeless aging baby-boomers panhandling on the streets, or worse.

November 1, 2010 at 10:51 am
(2) Carol says:

Congress needs to extend the unemployment benefits to the millions that have lost their jobs. You are asking for the foreclosures to double and the amount of homeless to increase. Tax corporations that ship their operations overseas and take a hard look at what they have – maybe a mandatory pay cut for Congress will give them some incentive to motivate the businesses in this country to create new jobs. Take the money from programs funding illegals and foreign aid. Neither one of them worked hard all of their lives to make a decent living.

November 3, 2010 at 5:32 pm
(3) Jim R says:

The new GOP-controlled Congress is going to be forced to show us what their priorities will be for the next two years.

1) They have to vote for or against extending unemployment benefits by Nov 30.

2) They have to decide what to do about the Bush tax cuts expiring by Dec 31.

The GOP fought against the last UE extensions. But they want the tax cuts extended, especially for the wealthy. So. Will they want to clearly show they support the wealthy and not those in need? Or will they show they are concerned with all citizens equally. It will be interesting to see play out.

November 6, 2010 at 6:51 pm
(4) A ship says:

This will be a complete joke if congress now does not extend unemployment benefits for those of us who are unemployed but yet get rid of the tax for the wealthy! If that happens NO ONE should vote a republican as President on the next election and should not revote Republicans back into congress. We cannot help there are no jobs!!! And I do not understand why Obama takes the heat….the war put us where we are and that was not him. I am sick of this garbage. As Americans we cant even afford to eat!!!

November 7, 2010 at 3:38 pm
(5) Norma says:

I am so numbed inside. My husband has been out of work in his late 50;s for the first time since he was 16. It is exactly at a year Halloween. We have been struggling with our mortgage & our credit is a mess; perfect until this happened. I don’t what to think anymore. The GOP have done their best to go against everything! I agree with all of you! Foreclosures will double, maybe triple. The unemployment level will suddenly drop, duh at the end of November. Then what? An amazing statement on the next jobless report, “Unemployment claims have dropped!” That will be despite the amount of homeless has risen & the true numbers of unemployed go into to NEVERLAND! The future is truly scary. How do you survive when you have nothing to survive with?

November 7, 2010 at 10:09 pm
(6) DennisSmith says:

THEY NEED TO HELP AMERICANS FIRST THEN THE REST OF THE WORLD.THIS IS LIFE AND DEATH TO ALL AMERICA.WE DONT WANT TO BE IN THIS SITUATION BUT WE ARE. GET THINGS DONE!!!!!!!! HOW WOULD THEY LIKE GOING WITHOUT A CHECK. AND CANT PAY THERE BILLS. OR FEED THIER FAMILY’S.BIG TROUBLE IS COMING! DO TO OTHERS LIKE YOU WANT.SOME NEED TO REMEMBER THIS.PASS UNEMPLOYMENT EXTENTIONS FOR AMERICANS UNTIL THE ECOMONY GETS TURNED AROUND.OR WE WILL HAVE ALOT BIGGER PROBLEMS THEN TRYING TO PASS UNEMPLOYMENT IN THIS COUNTRY.DO THE RIGHT THING HELP OUR OWN FOR A CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 7, 2010 at 11:20 pm
(7) TIM BRAGG says:

RICH CONGRESSMEN WILL HELP THEIR RICH FRIENDS< WITH TAX BREAKS OVER $700 BILLION, & SAY THE HELL WITH UNEMPLOYED , RICH FRIENDS GIVE DONATIONS, POOR UNEMPLOYED DON"T HAVE MONEY TO GIVE TO THEM..

November 8, 2010 at 9:46 am
(8) Trina says:

Congress really needs to extend benefits. Jobs are to hard to find. I agree with Amerians first. Politicians need to understand that they work for us. I would like to see them live day to day on unemployment and worry if you are going to get extension or if you are going to run out…. I know they could not do it. Please sign petition on this web site.

November 9, 2010 at 1:26 am
(9) SHARONC says:

PLEASE, PLEASE EXTEND THE UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS-WITHOUT IT I DON’T KNOW WHERE OUR NEXT MEAL WILL COME FROM. IF NOT PASSED, MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WILL BE IN SERIOUS TROUBLE-LOSING HOMES, UNABLE TO PAY THEIR BILLS, AND EVEN PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE. EXTEND THE BENEFITS, AND SEND OUR JOBS BACK TO AMERICA INSTEAD OF MEXICO, INDIA, ETC. HELP OUR AMERICANS INSTEAD OF EVERY OTHER COUNTRY. IT IS TIME TO PUT OUR CITIZENS FIRST. REPUBLICANS SHOULD PROVE THEY ARE WORTH BEING IN THE WHITE HOUSE. THIS IS THEIR CHANCE..

November 10, 2010 at 3:15 pm
(10) Lakey says:

I guess this decison will let all of us “little people” know how congress really feels about us! If they need our vote that is one thing but if we need to eat that is a different story.

November 10, 2010 at 4:25 pm
(11) Miriam says:

The current Congress (still Democrat controlled, though a lame duck one) has the opportunity to extend teh benefits that expire Nov 30th. If they do not do this before the end of teh year, we will have to take our chances with the new Republican Congress beginning in January.

I’m really nervouse about this. I could see the current Congress not acting or the legislation being blocked/held up. And I shudder to think what the new Congress will do, since it seems they are agains “entitlement programs” (such as UI, Medicare, Social Security and Medicaid) but for underwriting tax cuts for the wealthy.

My husband was laid off at the end of February 2010. he’s been actively looking for a job ever since. He’s had a few interviews and dozens upon dozens of networking meetings. Sometimes I feel like he’s not any closer to a new job than he was 8 months ago- and it scares me. My husband is college educated plus (he’s got a law degree). He’s held a job since he was 18 (attending law school at night while working full time). This had been the year that we were going to try for our first child. Now I just hope we can hang on to our house.

We are currently in the first tier of emergency extensions. I do not know what we will do if his UI runs out.

November 10, 2010 at 11:20 pm
(12) shaun smith says:

please help us, i have sold my bike and a truck. forclosed on my home and moved to an apartment. im only still making it because of unemployment but i have nothing else to sell when times get really tough like they do about every third month because unemployment helps but its not 38000 a year like i was making when they shut the doors on us with no notice. we r all seeking work at least i know i would much rather work than make this check a week but there are just no jobs out there….

November 12, 2010 at 1:14 am
(13) Jason Weiss says:

Well, for the most part. Its time to by a gun. If I could not feed my family and have shelter for them I would have to take a non legal approach. Crime and corruption will rise.Just imagine, before Chrismas the people that dont have jobs, wont even be able to enjoy it. So many people will become homeless. So many people will commit crimes. Sure we can give other countries aid, but what about the USA? Do we just get screwed and pay taxes to pay for a foreign countries well being. Thats BS… MARK MY WORDS..The gov. if gonna screw it up ten fold if there is no extensions. I am not unemployed, but weve all been there, so I feel angry about all this.

November 12, 2010 at 11:58 pm
(14) melissa says:

To whom this may concern. We need to pass a 5th tier soon. So many people are still without jobs! and are struggle so..bad that it has cause many people here in Ga. Homeless. Yes..I said homeless. I love working but there still no..jobs and jobs are not hiring here. Please do the right thing and pass the bill. Thanks!!!!

November 14, 2010 at 3:17 pm
(15) Denise Murphy says:

Ran Paul said “there is NO difference between the rich and the poor”! Wow, really???? Well Americans voted in all these Republicans and will suffer for it…If the average american citizen knew that the people they elected arn’t serving their best interests they would stand up and be heard. As Democrats we need to be bold and not back down from all the great things the Obama administration has done! Like Bill Meyer said, the only way we can get more abused is to bend over and F@#% ourselves…WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!

November 15, 2010 at 5:03 pm
(16) Rose says:

I lost my job on may 2009. Since then I have been looking for work. I have so many resumes in and I have not been able to find work. I have been on several interviews but all I hear is we’ll get back with you. No one callled me back. I am sick to my stomach waiting to see if they will pass this extension. The congress needs to get there head out of there asses and sign the bill to pass the extension. Time is touch and we need that bill passed.

November 16, 2010 at 3:05 pm
(17) patricia says:

america the beautiful as they say is not so beautiful to me and countless others on unemployment right now.the truth to the matter is that there are fewer jobs created to meet the demands of those of us who are scrambling to find work and to comply with job searches set forth by our local/state edd. i have been umemployed since may of 2009,have been to countless job fairs,interviews,with hardly any feedback or job offers. i was terminated from my last employer,this has been a sticking point in my job searches,employers do not want to do deal with people with questionable job resumes or histories. i have practically begged,pleaded for work,falling on deaf ears just the same,what has happened to this nation?why r we sending aid to foreign countries when we have a domestic crisis on hand with high unemployment. the jobs are shipped out to countries like india,japan,china,mexico,for cheap foreign labor while hard working honest americans are suffering just to meet the basic needs,just to try to better themselves and to provide for their families. i am at the point in which im just gonna explode and just take out my frustrations,i have had enough of being rejected,i want to work,i need to work,i deserve to work. it should not matter what a persons background is,as long as they are wanting to be employed and work hard for their wages,let us get america back to work,stop with this nonsense of pigeon holing americans,stop this crazy downslide of people losing hope and falling into despair.please extend the federal extension of unemployment benefits,add a tier 5 to the list,just so that folks can be able to pay their bill,this holiday season is looking very bleak to me,i am very angry and hurt by the lack of attention to this issue.

November 16, 2010 at 5:18 pm
(18) BC says:

I just tried with MARVIN to certify, and now its saying I have to check back on the 28th of November 2010. What is one suppose to do? I dont really want unemployment, I want a JOB, but in MI right now a JOB is not there so I NEED unemployment, and congress is sitting on there A%$, for what, because they dont want to add to the deficit, well neither do I but at times like this, there is no Choice but to help out us Americans, we dont live in Mexico or China where are jobs went, I have paid taxes my whole life and now that I am in need of the receiving end of things I am left out in the cold. Damn I thought this was America, tell you damn GOP and congress to quite being stupid and selfish and lets get things done!!!!!

November 17, 2010 at 4:26 pm
(19) Cooper says:

EVERYONE CALL/EMAIL/FAX/TWEET REPS/SENATORS NOW

Don’t stop.. let’s jam their phone lines, use all the paper in their faxes and tweet until it drives them to approve an extension!

Let’s MOTIVATE THEM TO PASS AN EXTENSION NOW!!!!

November 18, 2010 at 1:04 am
(20) Carie says:

PLEASE PLEASE HELP US PUT FOOD ON OUR TABLES, AND BUY A CHRISTMAS GIFT FOR OUR CHILDREN. CAN YOU IMAGINE THE FACE OF A CHILD WHO CANNOT GET A SMALL GIFT THIS YEAR? PLEASE GIVE US ANOTHER EXTENSION. WE DID NOT CHOOSE TO BE IN THIS POSITION OF JOBLESSNESS. I HAVE WORKED STEADILY SINCE I WAS 17 YEARS OLD, AND HAVE CONTRIUTED MANY DOLLARS TO OUR ECONOMY WHEN I WAS EMPLOYED. PLEASE PLEASE HELP YOUR AMERICAN CITIZENS

November 18, 2010 at 10:18 am
(21) DVanlew says:

I know how to pay for the extension of unemployment- cut the wages of Congress and stop paying their pensions. Get rid of every person in government who has been convicted of a crime. That’s just for starters.

It’s time “OUR EMPLOYEES” started doing their jobs and quit wasting our money on stupid things and perks for themselves.

November 19, 2010 at 12:02 am
(22) BrokeinOregon says:

I know it feels like we keep going back to the well, but, tell me, what has changed? Unemployment hasn’t budged at all. I and every other employee laid off from my last employer is still looking for work. Some have been out of work for nearly two years. Myself, it’s been almost a year. I’ve sent out more than 100 resumes, applied for more than 20 actual vacancies and only had 2 interviews in 10 months. I couldn’t even get a seasonal retail job – every store wanted someone with prior retail experience, not an engineer with a Master’s degree.

If I could work I would. I don’t want to be on unemployment, but I am grateful to have it. Congress, don’t take what little I have left away.

November 19, 2010 at 12:20 pm
(23) Dan says:

I’ve applied formally for 306 jobs since becoming unemployed at the close of 2008. I financially support two adult children with severe, lifetime, disabilities.

In addition to the 306, among many other job inquiries, I recently attended an orientation with 10 others (30 applicants with 10/orientation session each.) for a full time job with benefits @ $9.00/hr at a humane shelter to clean up dog cages daily. Immediately following the orientation each applicant was interviewed for 10 minutes individually. Three positions were available. The three that were hired quit after 3 weeks!!!. Reason?: They couldn’t stand the constant dog barking and odor in the shelter…I was considered, and told , overqualified.

Guess, if I had the money, I should go back to school after 15 years of higher education and three degrees including an earned doctorate and 40 years of successful leadership, management and faculty career. But who will care for my children? I’ve exhausted all my resources to help them and have no regrets. Without the EB extension I am embarassed to say I must file for bankruptcy next week….I’m not complaining just facing reality. I have been a taxpayer for 50 years and continuously since age 18, in very good health and want to work. I will find work sometime, somehow.

November 19, 2010 at 1:32 pm
(24) Mike Moore says:

When congress cuts the benefits I GRANT YOU THE CRIME RATE IS ALSO GOING UP.HEY ATLEAST I CAN HAVE A JOB IN JAIL,FOOD,NO BILLS.THE STATE CAN KEEP ME UP THEN.I WON’T UNEMPLOYMENT.

November 20, 2010 at 7:57 am
(25) freez says:

i’m a father of 4 and have been laid off for a year and a half. What the real problem here is the shoe is on the wrong foot. The scandelless congress (yes both sides people) wanna not pass for a employment extionsion while thier not taking pay cuts, thiers no laying off in congress there’s just RAISES. Maybe they should have to have one of their kids have to come to them and say thier hungry, or starving or thirsty. Now son there’s really important leaders in this country and they said to STARVE. RICH GET RICHER POOR GET POORER!!!!!!!!

November 20, 2010 at 2:33 pm
(26) diane fletcher says:

The fact that they blocked the extension of jobless benefits for the unemployed really STINKS! You have families that are at risk of losing everything they once worked hard for, like their home. Talk about the “GRINCH THAT STOLE OUR HOLIDAY SEASON” A.K.A. Congress! They literally turned their backs on the ones that need help the most, (including myself) I am a 99er who benefits ran out in Early October. I have been trying to find a job plus go to school on line. My job research has reached the over two mark, and I haven’t even gotten so much of an interview! This government made this mess, but refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem. I bet they will enjoy this holiday season, with the traditional Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings, meanwhile, they should hang their heads in shame, because, we may not have that luxury, Heck we may not have a home to come to.

November 20, 2010 at 3:11 pm
(27) mattison says:

It appalls me that the reps are in favor of tax cuts for the wealthy, but against $200 weekly benefits for the common man. Having voted against them, I did all I could! Will this country become a foot stool for criminals/welfare recipicants?

November 21, 2010 at 3:13 am
(28) NMGIndiana says:

Since I last posted here, it is still the same… a year & counting. My husband has, like many, put out over 200 resumes in the last 12 months; 8 this week – only 3 interviews in a year… he just applied for a janitor job (58 years-old & an engineering degree, 2 jobs/39 year history – last one for 24 years…

He said yesterday, I am going to end up working at a minimum wage job. if I even get one. The pain I felt for him when I heard him say that! We will likely have to file bankruptcy if he can’t find decent work soon.

I a weird way, I think that technology has caused this scenario for the worse. No longer does one walk in with a cover letter & resume. Now we post online & with an application and a generic cover letter to a huge pool – unless you are lucky a resume will never make it. A computer spits it out. unless you have a few select key words in it Its not necessarily qualifications, it luck now.

As an IT engineer, I see it daily and I am not so sure I like it. The media can put a good slant on and call it a recession. Is that all it is, though?

I think it could be worse; a catastrophic, economic depression of monstrous proportions, tactfully hidden for years with Bulls&*t ,,,, will we recover this time with an upper/middle * working class? I don’t think so. The politicians up there with the rich,,,, where the heck the rest of America will be, hmmmmmmmmm

November 21, 2010 at 11:59 am
(29) Rebecca says:

i’ll remember this the next time they cry poor over paying rent for a Washington crash pad…if i whined like that about my job i’d have been unemployed a lot longer ago

November 24, 2010 at 2:08 am
(30) Linda says:

After 15 years with a Major prescription Benefit plan making a great wage I was terminated for coming in LATE on an ICE STORM day. Had 4 weeks Paid vacation and Time bank available.A company that prided themselves on customer service started doing what all major corps started. OUTSOURCING!. Now they can get workers overseas to do the work I did for half the cost. SO WHY NOT GET RID OF ME!

November 24, 2010 at 2:28 am
(31) Linda says:

After 15 years working for one of the largest prescription benefit managers in this country(they even handle the federal employees pension plan)I was terminated for coming to work LATE on one of Texas’s worst ICE STORM DAY! I had 4 weeks of vacation time and time bank time still available. Being a big corporation and me just the little guy guess who won the court case! Over the last few years the company started OUTSOURCING! So I was easily replaced at half my salary . Needless to say for the first time in 34 years of working, only TWO jobs in the time frame , I found myself on unemployment out of Health Insurance , with a husband recently diagnosed with a fatal disease,who can no longer work,a daughter who was supposed to start college in the fall and NO WHERE TO TURN. I was taught at an early age that if you Work Hard you will reap the REWARDS! And that America was built on the backs of hard working men and women. Now our GOVERNMENT is telling me that what I was taught is somehow not true and that if I am on unemployment I must not want to work and I must be on drugs. All those vote chasers need to stand a day in my shoes! Let them tell their sons and daughters that they cant go to college because RENT/FOOD/MEDICATION AND ELECTRICITY has to be paid. And forget about Thanksgiving and Christmas it wont be here this year!

November 24, 2010 at 9:30 am
(32) vicente says:

in a way the two partys dont feel the pain and suffering that we the people are going thru they got their raise in july 2009 and get their cecks and benefits and will have great holidays and the wont loose any sleep over all the families that wont be able to do the same or loose their homes or go hungry
there is a saying
united we stand divided we fall
unfortuanally our goverment seems not to know what that means. god help us in years to come

November 24, 2010 at 3:09 pm
(33) Toni says:

Everyone should remember that this has been coming for a long time. The people who spend millions to get elected are not going to look after anyone but their cronies, who are not on unemployment…..they look at the contribution list, and if you are not on it, oh, well…..I think everyone in Congress and all their cronies need to take pay cuts and spend the savings on an unemployment extension. My husband is 61years old and has been unemployed since January of 2009…..he is a highly trained professional, only working at 2 jobs since he was 15 years old. He is a master carpenter and a commercial journeyman plumber, he can’t even get a call back, and they say there is no age discrimination…..try to get a construction job when you are 61 and can no longer carries trusses and 20foot lengths of pipe…..and look for something else…..ha-ha-ha- he is actually treated like he is an undesireable because he has no prior experience in fast food, cashiering, or sales associates positions, for MINIMUM WAGE, like we really are living high on the hog at $275 a week when we used to amke $1200-$1500 a week…..savings are gone, and have sold everything….. What’s next? I just turned 62 and got approved for Social Security…..wow $141.00 a month, all because I was a police officer and paid Public Employees Retirement instead, and now thanks to Wall Street and the banks, that is bankrupted…..OH WELL, WE WILL SURVIVE, WE ALWAYS DO…..also thanks to the President, he is truly a wonderful person, no matter what the GOP and Teaparty would have you believe…..

November 26, 2010 at 4:23 am
(34) belle says:

I see that everyone is now complening about the extensions, so am I. Some of these persons put on congress all the REPULICAN! Now people what your Rep’s are doing to us!!!! Now we can not blame it on the president we voted. Just think 2012 we have a Rep President there goes the COUNTY, let me ask all that voted Rep What has the Rep’s done for you??? are they paying bills, food, medical and house payment???? So my AMERICANS do not complaine if you voted REP!!! YOU BUT THEM IN CONGRESS. I am either for Reps or Demo I am some one that has to support my 5 children and a widow and my only income is (was) Unemployment.

November 26, 2010 at 3:08 pm
(35) Jean Call says:

I have worked in the same field for 36 years. I just had my birthday 59 years old and lost my job Last Februay. I have sent out countless resumes, waiting hours on hold for someone to let me know if a position has been filled and was told that my state extension is not available to me. If congress does not extend their benefits that I don’t know what I will do. My daughter has lost her house to foreclosure and I have had mine on the market for over a year and they still can’t find a buyer to get me out of this mess, so yes then this house will go into foreclosure. I have paid taxes all my life, lived by the golden rule, and now if government denies my benefits what has it all been for. We help Haiti, Illegals, send billions overseas to countries that hate us, when do we start taking care of us, the real Americans that hang out our flags, vote, worked all our life and now corporate American has outsourced our jobs with people that can’t speak English. Help Us Congress, Don’t look the other way because you go home to a beautiful job, have a pension, great health benefits and all the good stuff. Americans need your help, or bring back industry and open more jobs her in the good old USA!

November 27, 2010 at 9:22 am
(36) dale says:

To all you people out there blaming the Republicans for not getting more unemployment beneifits, will you please stop and listen. Republicans will sign for more unemployment, but they want it paid for. There still is TARP money left, and certainly they could take 12 billion from the 600 billion they are now printing. We have to start somewhere in getting the Democrats minds changed from just print money, to pay for what we give away. BY THE WAY, I have been unemployed since Nov.20,2008, have sent out over 456 resumes. So believe me I want help as bad as the next guy. One thing to do, buy everything used, that you can, and stay away from Walmart and all other stores who sell mostly junk made in China or India. And why hasn’t someone come out with a list that shows the companies who have sent jobs overseas, so we can make sure not to buy their products.

November 27, 2010 at 10:42 am
(37) Allen Mullins says:

I agree with all of you. I am a 99er too We are Americans and they kick us to the curb..

November 27, 2010 at 12:50 pm
(38) Velvet says:

I mean really what has the congress got to lose. We are the people suffering. Why is it so hard for them to feed the American people.Sign the bill please sir please maa’m. We have worked hard all our lives and now we can’t find a job to put food on the table. My God what is this world coming too. We need the unemployment to survive.We are doing everything we can to find work job hunting daily, sending resumes everywhere no response.Congress please here our humble cry…

November 27, 2010 at 4:26 pm
(39) Matte says:

I think that having more than your 26 weeks of unemployment is too much. Back in the day you received 26 weeks of unemployment than you were done. No checks and still no job. You found work, even if it was cleaning houses for 50 dollars a week its money coming in might not be enough to pay bills, buy groceries, etc, but the truth is I was working. I started with one client then that client tells someone else and so on, and by the end of the week I had 8 clients thats 300 a week times that by 4 comes up to 1200 a month not bad for a little job I came up with. the truth is find something your good at and get out there, don’t rely on someone/something to take care of you, do it yourself.

November 27, 2010 at 4:31 pm
(40) Jerry says:

I have been unemployed since April 2010. My benefits will run out in January 2011. I am 51, never collected unemployment before, served in the military and have sent out or applied through my state career center for over 200 positions. I have had 2 interviews! I decided to return to school to try to change careers and now they are taking away my $300.00 per week. Oh yeah, my cobra payment is going up to $1,022 per month! Here goes my home and my life – both my wife and I need our health insurance.

November 27, 2010 at 7:43 pm
(41) distressed says:

Congress, please extend benefits. I am a laid off teacher with a Masters who cannot find work and I can do a lot. I was even a paralegal, an office manager, an administrator, an adjunct professor, and a high school teacher. I am in my 50s and nobody hears our cries. How can we send aid to Pakistan, and court India and court China, when we owe China the shirt off of our backs? How can we continue to send aid to Wall Street and the banks and the rest of the world while the level of poverty in American is the highest it has ever been since the Depression? I’ve battled cancer, gone bankrupt, gone through a loan modification, lost all savings, IRA and pension…Congress, you are killing us and the end result when someone or something happens as the result of a major meltdown will be on your heads. The Republicans can now pull the plug on everything and I am afraid they will. They say they care but need to pay for extensions. Well, if they would stop sending aid to corporations and banks and Wall Street and foreign aid, help those of us who have worked for years, the money for unemployment extensions would be there. Quit sending aid out of our country and start rebuilding here in areas that are hardest hit, and quit outsourcing jobs that Americans use to do. Corporations don’t care about the unemployed, only the bottom line and why pay anyone in America a decent wage when they can pay someone in India 25 cents a day?
Congress has thrown us under the bus because we are expendable, the heart and soul of America is expendable. Unbelievable. All that hard work and years gone…and now the home we fought so hard to save could be gone as well, along with millions of other Americans who have fallen by the wayside. Shame on you all of Congress and the House and those who veto an extension so desperately needed in this country…I guess your children sleep well, don’t they?

November 28, 2010 at 10:53 am
(42) Vinny says:

Obviously this country can care less about its citizens. I am 54 and lost a job after 17 years because of a bill Obama passed. I have never been unemployed in my life until now. Thanks Obama. I only had a few years left before retirement.

My UI runs out in a couple of weeks. I have done everything possible to find a job to no avail. Even a temp agency.

Anyway…. hope the gov has a nice cozy Xmas. Think about all the good people who are being screwed over. Yea… right. :(

November 29, 2010 at 11:05 am
(43) robert burton says:

As a voting AMERICAN I been thinking of go across the border becomeing a citizens coming back home as an illegale immigrant aNd getting a bunch of benefits and a job and send my money back to another conutry and continue to mooch of the US HOW BOUT THAT!

November 30, 2010 at 1:24 am
(44) ronnie says:

People don’t forget the republicans went on holiday during the 4th and didn’t care then what make you think they care now. For all of you that voted REPUBLICANS you get what you deserved. WE AEW DUMB they want pass the bii. they are in office and getting a paycheck do what do they care…

December 1, 2010 at 1:08 am
(45) clyde says:

The peaple that voted republican got what they deserved. The republican party is the party of no. They want the gov. of Obama to fail at all cost. They are going to vote no on everything except tax breaks for the rich. I’m afraid that the same peaple that voted for bush will put palin in as president. If this happens I will move to Canada.

December 1, 2010 at 9:11 am
(46) Evin's Dad says:

The folks at Black Bear Ranch had the right idea. Period

December 1, 2010 at 4:19 pm
(47) Stephanie says:

Like being unemployed and looking for a job in this economy isn’t hard enough. Now we have to wait until Congress bases another extension. My husband is under an enormous amount of stress each day searching for a job in this economy. We have had to make sacrifices day after day in order to make sure we can put food on the table and pay our bills. Without the unemployment we will not be able to manage. This is not the way we want to live! My husband has been looking for a job for a year. He wants to be working. This was not his decision or fault he was laid off. We need help. Please congress! Think about the innocent people and families that will be suffering MORE than they already are if you do not pass this extension.

December 1, 2010 at 5:03 pm
(48) tom says:

I feel for those unemployed for so long. We need to start to think about our children and the enormous burden this will put on them. Make sacrifices and think for your children

December 1, 2010 at 6:40 pm
(49) mandi says:

I have been unemployed since March. I can’t find a job that offers me the hours & money I need to survive on. I get more from my unemployment. I’ve been offered jobs at minimum wage pay…not gonna cut it with all my bills (even with collecting a partial)! How could they end this right before the holidays & right as winter is coming? I am looking for a job DAILY, sometimes for hours on end. There are so many people out there that need this help…especially now. Thank you for nothing CONGRESS.

December 1, 2010 at 8:38 pm
(50) Mel says:

Unless your unemployed – and have been for a while – it’s nearly impossible to understand what those of us that are unemployed are going through. I’ve had friends and family chastise me because they think I am not looking for work. Utter Crap! I apply to numerous positions every day for jobs that I know I can do in any field. I’ve had about a handfull of interviews in the past year but usually lose out to the ‘internal candidate’, whose position the company doesn’t replace. This practice looks good on their books – creating a wash in overhead – but it’s doing nothing for the economy. As for following up on resume’s that have been sent – nearly impossible. Few companies actually give you a contact name and, when they do, these people refuse to return, or – in some casees – even take a phone call. The whole process is beyond frustrating.
I’ve been out of work since March of 2009. Any work I have done since then has been for a temp service. I get told that the part – time work will last 3 to 4 months and, after 1 month, I get a call not to come in tomorrow. Now, how can someone live with that kind of unpredictibility? I am single and have to take care of myself. At least with the unemployment – as meager as it is – I am able to struggle through. Not to mention that I am going to owe a buttload of income taxes come next year. For those that aren’t aware, unemployment benefits are taxed – unlike other social benefits. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go figure out a way to pay for my monthly cost of living expenses and figure out how to save money to pay for my taxes come April ….

December 1, 2010 at 9:58 pm
(51) J krueger says:

I have been UNEMPLOYED since June 2008, due to an injury that the hospital did not want to accept. However, this has been devasting to ME, and the economy. I am a 99er… and it does NOT get easier!!!! I have a FEW interviews! however, I have NOT been HIRED ;-( this is very dis-heartening. I am ALONE, no one to support ME, except for ME! Retirement..(ha ha) GONE!!!! not much anyway!!! can’t pay bills, barely Holding On to RENT! car Insurance…NO MEDICAL INSURANCE!!!! storage, and ph and internet service, just barely making it, to KEEP in TOUCH, with POSSIBLE EMPLOYMENT! WHAT AM I SUPPOSE TO DO????? without an extension…HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO SURVIVE?????????? PLEASE…. PLEASE…. extend the 99ers!!!! we are dying…. and will, are Dying…. NOW!!! good bye WORLD ;-(

December 2, 2010 at 1:37 am
(52) Norma says:

I have been out of work for 2 years this has been both exhausting and painful. I have an M.A. degree yet I have difficulty in acquiring a job. My experience does not seem to help me out much due to the fact that for every job I apply for there are at least 90 other persons applying for the same job. All I want to do is work and be self-sufficient again, but the way the economy is at, I dont really know what the future will hold for me. I am a single middle age woman who has lost everything. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 2, 2010 at 4:13 am
(53) DWEETTA says:

WHY DID THE REPUBLICANS WIN , IF SO MANY PEOPLE ARE RECEVING UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS, WHERE AND HOW DID THEY VOTE NOT DEMOCRACTIC. DID THE UNEMPLOYEDE STAY HOME ON ELECTION DAY? THE REPUBLICANS AND THE TEA PARTY DO NOT CARE ABOUT POOR PEOPLE OR THE UNEMPLOYED MIDDLE CLASS, PRESIDENT OBAMA DO.

December 2, 2010 at 11:51 am
(54) TomK says:

I am contemplating just giving up and taking the easy way out. At 56 I can look at my life and say I’ve given and received love, travelled everywhere, been a hard loyal worker, had wonderful parents, got a good education, but now I can’t find a job, I am tired,frustrated, embarressed and broken and time its to say BYE to this world.
The Repubs in congress will burn in hell for not caring about the less fortunate, poor, unemployed and people who have lost hope. Remember they care about the rich, corporations and everybody making over $250K.

December 2, 2010 at 2:11 pm
(55) jmb says:

i keep hearing people say unemployment benefits are entitlements, they are not. welfare and foodstamps are entitlements. the government needs to go in and clean that mess up. all the lazy bums fraudulently receiving those benefits when they are able to work but unwilling to do so. and while they are at it they should clean up medicaid and stop giving free healthcare to illegals. i can’t get help so why should they. get rid of all the pork barrell spending. these are the things that need to be addressed. don’t take things away from people who have worked and paid in all their lives.

December 2, 2010 at 6:34 pm
(56) Kevin Quinn says:

Dear Jesse,

This is a blog that you will want to see. “FEMA Camps for the Homeless.”

December 3, 2010 at 2:23 am
(57) no_double_talk_politician says:

i am saddened by the fact that the democrats are scared and the rich republican axe grinders are practicing the signatures on not intending to vote on anything. they’ve tried to sack house rep. charlie rangel because he was the one who introduced the previous unemp. extension before memorial day and the republicans voted in down 3 or 4 times before finally passing in late July — it already expired June 1 — 2 months too late for those unemployed.. i heard this congressman’s priorities: bush tax cuts, keep fed gov’t open for 2 wks (which means those politicians keep getting their checks, START (russian missile treaty), ….he didn’t even mention the unemployment extension; they all suck !!!! STOP VOTING THEM BACK IN !!!

December 3, 2010 at 8:15 am
(58) Me says:

I’m tired of the disdain that people have for families who earn more than $250k being labeled “wealthy”! Where does this family live? Because if they live in New York City or Washington, DC, $250k they’re squarely in the middle class. People forget that people who earn that wage ARE working, not the real wealthy who don’t HAVE to work.

I’m grateful for my job but having come from nothing (growing up we qualified for welfare but didn’t go on it), I busted my ass going to college for 10 years, earning 4 degrees so I would have employment opportunities. I took out loans and paid for that while I also worked!

Almost 2 years of unemployment benefits is ridiculous. How many unemployed go back to school, retrain or cross-train? The people who are unemployed who I know aren’t. There ARE jobs out there. They may not be the ones you want or like, but do what you have to do and help yourself.

Also, not having Thanksgiving or Christmas isn’t the worst thing in the world as people here complain about. I deployed to the Middle East and spent a Christmas there. Try spending some there to gain real perspective on what suffering is all about.

Until then, I’ll continue waking up at 5:00am, working a 13 hour day to pay for your 99 weeks of unemployment.

December 3, 2010 at 11:53 am
(59) Sandra says:

Dear Me,
I became unemployeed in 2009. I realized that there were no jobs out there and that the competetion was so fierce that I need to go back to college, an associates degree just didn’t get it. I know many people who went back to college after becoming unemployed. Its too bad you don’t know any. Alot of us are trying much harder than you beleive.

December 3, 2010 at 5:44 pm
(60) gops true colors says:

me says ……. your an idiot !!!!!!

December 4, 2010 at 10:05 pm
(61) Dawana Clark says:

god pray for us all that are about to loose everything we have ,shame on the corupt goverment for being selfish jerks who only care about themself and there big pay day! to all the people who just want to give up and end there lives Please Dont, keep the faith and prayer like we all never have before that this ecomony will turn around, I am also unemployed for almost 2 years now, and my husband just got lay off also, and i am scared to death of the out come, but please stay positive for yourself, and dont stop beliveing in your self, god bless to all, Dawana Clark

December 5, 2010 at 11:43 am
(62) Ginny says:

I lost my job this year in late May. I am 58 years old and have never been jobless. I was forced to start collecting unemloyment to just stay above my bills in hope of starting to work again soon. I am beginning to think my age has some impact on finding another job because it has been hard. I had to give up my home, move out of my hometown of 30 years and move in with my daughter and grandaugter. I have been going to school for 4 months and will be finishing this month and starting a new job in February, but without the benefits I will not be able to finish paying for the schooling, I will not be able to pay for the license I need and I will not be able to start the job I plan to in Feb. I have struggled to start over again and now am getting knocked down by our government. My story is minimal compared to families, with children, mortgages etc and perhaps no family to depend on! Christmas is going to be sad in this country for all, those who have no help and those who need no help who have to enjoy their day knowing so many are not….

December 5, 2010 at 10:26 pm
(63) Kathy says:

Let’s put all Republicans in the Unemployment Line

December 10, 2010 at 4:36 pm
(64) miriam says:

I’M ALSO A 99ER.I RECEIVED A LETTER SAYING I HAVE EXHAUSTED ALL BENEFITS.HOW SCARY IT WAS ,AND DEPRESSING FEELING,AND NOW THEY ARE SAYING THEY ARE NOT GOING TO HELP.ONLY 2 MILLIONS PEOPLE,SO WHAT ARE WE I WANT TO KNOW.WE ARE IN THE WORST POSITION EVER.ESPECIALLY NOW NO SAVINGS.MUCH LESS CREDIT BECAUSE I CAN’T PAID MY BILLS.DO YOU WHAT IT IS TO WAKE EVERY DAY THINKING,AND CRYING.BECAUSE YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO.READING ALL THIS ABOUT NOT HELPING THE 99ERS.HOW MORE DEPRESSING IS THIS GOING TO GET.PLEASE I HOPE THAT OUR HOLIDAYS BE FILLED. JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE.THEY NEED TO HELP US,BECAUSE THINGS ARE GOING TO GET WORSE.BELEIVE ME

December 11, 2010 at 12:42 am
(65) Gary says:

I agree with you Miriam on the 99ers. I am in the same position. Mine ran out 5 weeks ago. I am a single parent without any other income. I am in one of the worse states for unemployed people. I am not looking forward to Christmas. My son is going to be disappointed :(