1. Careers
Alison Doyle

Where Did You Find Your Last Job?

By October 1, 2008

I received quite a a bit of feedback after wrote about the importance of online job searching. Several job seekers told me that they had been give information at job search workshops telling them that only a small percentage of job seekers find jobs online. Others told me that it's the only way to job search.

It's not quite simple as one way - or the other. Weddle's Annual Source of Employment Survey shows a variety of online sources in the top ten ways people found their last job, including job boards, resume posting, referrals, and networking.

In fact, it's even more widespread than that because people are finding jobs in a variety of ways online. Social networking sites, including LinkedIn, MySpace, and Twitter, are helping people get hired, too.

What has worked best for you? Is job searching online effective? I'm interested in knowing how you found your last job and what you think is the best way to find a job.

More: Social Networking | Online Job Search

Bookmark and Share

Comments
October 1, 2008 at 11:07 am
(1) Lucy says:

My success has been through networking with others. Only one job was found on line.

October 1, 2008 at 1:28 pm
(2) Connie G. says:

I found my current job online, applied online, work online, and have actually only talked to a “live” person once in the years I have been working there.

October 1, 2008 at 4:35 pm
(3) Michael Hayes says:

Be carefull using networking sites that you can put info that you don’t want employers to find out about. See http://www.theglasshammer.com/news/2008/09/30/facebook-friends-should-you-add-your-workmates/
for more info

Mike

October 1, 2008 at 8:30 pm
(4) Susan says:

I got my job by going back to school to learn something new, having a great teacher who brought in outside speakers, and being invited by one of the speakers — along with the rest of the class — to join a new venture. I was the only one who took him up on the offer.

October 2, 2008 at 12:38 pm
(5) Bob McIntosh says:

Personal networking landed me 2 out of my last 3 jobs.

As a side note: You caught my attention when you wrote, “Several job seekers told me that they had been give information at job search workshops telling them that only a small percentage of job seekers find jobs online.” As a workshop facilitator, I agree with this statement, particularly if posting their resumes to job search sites is the only action jobseekers are engaged in. I tell my participants the best ways to use the Internet for their job search are by going to company websites and using Linked In and other on-line networking sites…in addition to answering postings from Monster, BostonWorks, Jobster, etc. But I guess your poll is proving me wrong. Let me know when the final tally will be posted.

October 2, 2008 at 2:21 pm
(6) Bonnie says:

Well, because this is an online poll, it’s probably going to have more “I found it online” results. You won’t hear from many people who aren’t online much, and who got their jobs in offline ways.

I’ve been with my current employer for 9 years. Back then, I wasn’t online much. I responded to a newspaper “Help Wanted” classified ad. How ancient is that? ;-)

If I were looking for a job today, though, I’d be using online resources (and networking).

October 2, 2008 at 6:44 pm
(7) Elsie says:

The job I have now I found online, however in the past on line searches never led me anywhere except a hope that it was a ligit job I was applying to. I belive the right way to get a job is the good ol’ fashion paper application and speeking to a rep. from the company. Seeing a face over paper always leaves a lasting impression.

October 2, 2008 at 8:47 pm
(8) Erin says:

I have found all of my previous positions online. I have moved countless times, so I can never depend on connections to get me anywhere.

October 2, 2008 at 9:24 pm
(9) Jay says:

I had used a job website jobsbyfax.com twice to find my employment after being laid off 3 times in 5 years due to corporate downsizing.

October 2, 2008 at 9:39 pm
(10) Leigh says:

I started a new job today, which I heard of from a friend who also works there. Through conversations with her, I knew a lot about the company before starting, and felt very confident it was a place where I wanted to work. The moment I let her know I was unhappy in my previous job, she had her eyes peeled for a new opportunity for me within her organization! Since, as an employee, she would be one of the first to know about job openings, she could let me know about them before most people had time to come across the posting on the company web site.

While looking for something new, I also searched extensively among online job postings, but hated slogging through all the junk in hopes of finding something legitimate and appealing.

October 3, 2008 at 2:46 am
(11) Helen says:

Walked into the Army Recruiting Center.

October 4, 2008 at 8:06 pm
(12) Sue says:

I found my current job through the newspapers while I was working as a temp through an agency. The agency was only interested in keeping me in temp positions via contract to make money, so they were not helpful. It was very disappointing and I would not recommend that particular agency to anyone I was truly trying to help get a job. I was employed for almost 31 years with one company, retired and then went back to work. What a shock! I then lost 2 jobs back to back due to one company losing a contract and the other was corporate sell out. I never dreamed I’d lose 2 jobs back to back due to no wrong on my part.

October 7, 2008 at 1:48 pm
(13) Miriam Salpeter, Keppie Careers says:

I’m curious about the actual stats on this one. I tell my clients not to expect to land jobs by applying to online postings. However, clearly online services have a role in a job hunt.

The key is not to think that you’ve done “your part” by zapping 100 resumes online. Unless those resumes were specifically targeted and the jobs actual positions (not postings intended to generate resumes for something down the road), a blanket online only strategy is usually futile.

I like linkedin for passive job opportunities and Twitter for relationship building as well!

October 7, 2008 at 6:17 pm
(14) Naphtali Bachelor says:

On line job seeking is a sure-fire way to find a SCAM, fraudulent posting (even through Career Builder – I know because it happened to ME, or some other BOGUS listing. Crtaigs List is another site that is full-of-scam “jobs”. Not to say that there aren’t any legitimate ones, but since there hare hardly ANY in your newspaper anymore, I think you have to get industry specific and go t company websites. But you MUST google or AKS.com your homework…another good check-up is RipOffreport.com

October 8, 2008 at 5:35 pm
(15) Bernard says:

I found my last job on Dice.