1. Careers
Alison Doyle

Working at Wal-Mart

By August 3, 2008

Wal-Mart, with more than 1.4 million US associates, is one of the largest private employers in the United States. While many large companies are laying off workers, Wal-Mart, the world's biggest retailer, continues to add jobs. In July, 150 jobs were added in La Porte, IN, 120 new jobs were created in Flowing Wells, AZ, and the new Oro Valley Supercenter announced plans to fill 350 new jobs.

In addition to store positions, Wal-Mart hires for corporate, logistics, pharmacy, optometry, and international positions. There are programs for college students and graduates, as well as for the military.

If you're interested in working at Wal-Mart, Wal-Mart employment information including job openings, an application, company locations, and information on how to apply is available. If you apply in-person or interview for a store position, it's important to be neat, tidy, and well-groomed and to present a positive image to the hiring manager. Here's how to dress for an interview and here are some of the typical interview questions you may be asked.

Or, if you're interested in other retail opportunities, here are retail job listings and information on companies that hire retail workers, including how to apply, employment applications, job openings, and company benefits.

Bookmark and Share

Image Walmart

Comments
August 28, 2008 at 8:04 pm
(1) MichaelRomano says:

I worked at the Super Walmart in Kerrvuille Texas @ bakery dept. It seemed the more work I did the more I didn’t do. then when I attempted to talk with MS Blakely, not much was accomplished. Thus ended up being terminated via this lady. 2 weeks short of one year. a few weeks before I got a good report with bryan another supervisor.

November 24, 2008 at 1:05 pm
(2) ashley says:

how old do you have to work at wal mart plus i need a job badly and i will turn 16 in july which i want a job so i can have fun with my friends. so how old do you have to be
???????????????

November 27, 2008 at 10:53 pm
(3) karen says:

hi i’v worked for wal-marts for 14 years.i don’t drive,live right across the road from work.idealie for me,now they are closing for remodel.told i have to transfer to another store,to avoid losing everything.but none of the stores are close enough for me to transfer too except sams club,don’t realie want to and i don’t think i well get a offer anyhow.so the only thing i can do is lose eveything i’v worked for,also i’m close to retire,i,m 64 yrs.old.but thats what wal-mart is doing to some of us.280 people that is.thanks a bunch,and no guranee we get back into the new super center.like to be able to have something to have faith in.but thats what happens when you get to big to care.thanks for letting me to vent.have a nice day karen.

July 1, 2009 at 4:56 pm
(4) Geneva McFeeters says:

I am a senior citizen looking for a job at wal-mart…where do I start to fill out application?

July 1, 2009 at 6:43 pm
(5) Alison Doyle, Job Search Guide says:
August 10, 2009 at 2:24 pm
(6) Eric says:

you can also find Walmart opportunnities on InovaHire.com!

September 9, 2009 at 3:13 pm
(7) robert says:

yes i worked for walmart for 3.5 years quit to move to another state. now i wanna come back how much will i be making

July 2, 2010 at 11:24 am
(8) julie says:

im a sigle perant i need a job i would like to know how can i apply.Im a hard working person i love to help and im a real idependent women.

July 27, 2012 at 8:59 pm
(9) Colette says:

What is the retirement age for walmart?

September 17, 2012 at 5:45 pm
(10) margaret says:

My adult son is speech-impaired. Recently lost job at Albertson’s Grocery Store after 8 years of service due to store closing. Does Walmart make it a “good habit” of employing those who are handicaped and/or disabled?